L5R, Revised

General L5R Information is located here. New products, character designs, basic history and information. Everyone is welcome to contribute.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

L5R, Revised

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Has anyone seen this yet? I have heard only bad things about it so far ... I guess the editing is even worse than usual.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: L5R, Revised

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:14 pm

I haven't seen it, wasn't planning on gettin it, only interested in the Spider Clan info really. If its bad, I'll wait fror Revised 2nd Edtion Printing
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 pm

I have heard a couple of complaints too and for the price I wouldn't buy it.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:49 pm

People have been ranting heavily about the editing altough an Erata document is currently being compiled over at the AEG forums. From all I hear (and especially from what I know about 3rd Edition rules) it fixes quite a few problems with the rules as they are which is definetly a good thing. Compared to any other game I've played up to this day (not only RPG) the 3ed ruleset is so incredibly inconsice and unorganized it's a shame, altough the world and system are wonderful.
I was actually planning on buying it but I'll definetly wait till I can get it via amazon or possibly caiman for cheap (prolly like 25 euros thx to the exchange rate).
I doubt that waiting for an edited second printing will prove fruitful since the second printing of the original 3rd Edition did not fix any of the editing problems and AEG printed a large amount of these books and with all the negative press it's getting it prolly won't sell too well.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:51 pm

Yeah, the main problem I had with the non-revised edition was the book layout. You definitely have to know where you flip to for what you are looking for.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know I bought it. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. Seems like there are quite few minor rule changes that make a) a lot more sense b) it easier to understand the rules. But yeah the editing is really shitty.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Can you give us an example or two of rule changes?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:44 pm

What about the Spider Clan stuff, is it robust or just a remake of old Shadowlands Schools?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:35 pm

Concerning the Spider I'd have to know where to find those old Shadowlands Schools to tell you with certainty, but except for the Courtier School none of them relate overly directly to Shadowlands so my guess would be that they are new. But besides the Goju Ninja (which gains HiPS) none seem to cool.

One new rule I think is very useful and rather simple is that Kata can be learned by all Samurai of the Clan with Schoolrank one higher than the specific Schoolrank specified.
The Defense Skill has been reworked to now do one of two things a) grant you a flat +10 Bonus to your TN vs all attackers or b) roll Agility/Defense replacing your Reflexes*5 with the result.
Also a lot of the broken things have been nerfed such as Toku Bushi Rank 1, Shiba Bushi Rank 1, the Shell of the Stone Kata or Bishamons Blessing.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Lets turn this thread into some conversation about Revised and Non-Revised books.

I don't have the Revised book, can someone enlighten me ias the changes and lets figure out if we need to worry about them affecting the games alot.