L5R Novels

General L5R Information is located here. New products, character designs, basic history and information. Everyone is welcome to contribute.
Galen
Level 8
Level 8

L5R Novels

Post by Galen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 am

I didn't see anything in this forum about this so I figured I would mention it in case anyone was interested.

L5R has a series of clan war novels that are very good. I have only read the first five, but they are all good reads and give the feel of the L5R universe. Each book is based around one of the clans starting with scorpion. They all came out around 2001.

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: L5R Novels

Post by akarmicanomaly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 pm

I agree - the Scorpion and Phoenix Clan Novels especially (I felt the later ones just didn't catch the magic the first two did!)

On that note: The Four Winds series. While Wind of Justice and Wind of Honour are ok reads, do not go near the other two! I think Wind of War has been disowned by the L5R Story team... and for good reason! 8O

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:26 pm

I have read all of these, the Clan War and the Four Winds ones.

In general they are very good, some of them (most) are not offical canon storyline but they really are close enough. The Scorpion one I agree is really very good, I was disapointed with the Unicorn one (as a Unicorn player I was expecting more). The other Clan War ones were all excellent and the series as a whole is well worth the read in order.

The Four Winds ones were also decent, but the Kaneka one just didn't really seem to fit the story we know of Kaneka so it was strange to read. There are a must read for the Uber Fan if even just to complain about the Wind of War :)

I'm happy to see other people have read them!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 pm

I finally finished reading Shogun by James Clavell last night after putting it down for a while. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the genre. It is a long one, so it keeps going a good amount (my copy was 1200+ pages). I very much enjoyed it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm

So now you have to read Yoshikawa's Musashi. And if you don't... well, I'll just have to copy and make it a gift for you.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm going to switch over to something less Samurai for a bit, but I"ll keep that one in mind for later then. I have Tolkien's Lay of Sigurd and Gundrun I'm half way in I want to finish, and maybe Game of Thrones, or King Rat (also Clavel). With 2.5 kids, a site to administer, and all my video games to play, its hard to find alot of time to read.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm

True. Another option may be that when I'm there in August I'll bring you to bed every day and read like 250 pages in my heavily-accented English to you every day. Then we should be done in a week or so.

I'm currently reading the Clan War books I got at Brencon and a collection of 40K short stories on the side (Let the Galaxy Burn). I liked the first book.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 pm

The Clan War books are good, only the Unicorn one was really lacking I thought.

Let the Galaxy Burn was good too, I got a copy from JP to read for that.