Thinking about running an L5R game

General L5R Information is located here. New products, character designs, basic history and information. Everyone is welcome to contribute.
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Thinking about running an L5R game

Post by mackaber » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Hey everyone. I am seriously considering starting up an L5R game. Since it could definetly be a while before such a game would get started I'm not posting this in the new games thread but here to get some feedback from the active L5R players around here. Also since I have only very little experience GMing and my posting time is not overly compatible with most of ya'lls I'm not too sure how well this would work out.
At the moment I'd be interested in finding out who at all might be interested and what kind of game people would find interesting. I have 2 basic ideas:

Rokugan Noir:
Yeah that's right nuff of that talk of honor in high courts, let's see what's cookin on the mean streets of Rokugan. Shady dealings, drugs and crime are abundant in the Emerald Empire so someones gotta deal with them or cause all the trouble in the first place. Prefered setting would be Ryoko Owari and I'd leave it up to the players if they'd want to be on the side of the law, the crooks, somewhere in between or on the winning side :twisted: .

20 Goblin Winter:
Being a Crab at heart I've always had a faible for caveing in Oni skulls and that's just what we'd do. Starting this game in a period of 20 Goblin winter seems like a good way to bring together people from diverse backgrounds and give the GM a good excuse to send them on an incredibly dangerous mission in the name of the Crab Clan. I really loved the writings of Kuni Mokayu and the other first edition SL books and hope to capture some of that spirit.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Thinking about running an L5R game

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:54 pm

Currently I'm interested in any L5R game.
But especially the Rokugan Noir setting sounds thrilling.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:37 pm

Either would be cool to me, and I would play.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:17 pm

I think the idea for the 20 goblin winter game sounds like a lot of fun, though I've probably got too many games to join another.

I'm really liking L5R, but I'd have to pass on this as fun as it sounds.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Hmm. I was hoping for a little more interest, I guess I could run the Rokugan Noir game with only two players but I'd prefer to have 3 or 4.
Big Pimpin...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:05 am

I think there probably will be. Just give it a bit of time.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 am

I would love to play, don't think I have the time. However my input...

The 20 Goblin Winter would be a great chance to play Ronin on their way to being Crab, and could be pretty cool, if not combat heavy (but that's ok).

The Rokugan Noir could also be fun, if the group is all of the same clan, or perhaps the same organization (Emerald Magistrates, Forest Killer Bandits, etc). I don't think it would work too well if the group was of different clans, or too varried of clans.

I like either one.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 am

I would definantly like to play in the Noir setting. It sounds like it could be great...
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:20 pm

So those having posted interest, what sort of heroes/Antiheroes would you guys prefer to be? Crooked cops, smugglers, mob bosses, low down drug addicts, honest magistrates with corrupt bosses... the possibilities are nigh endless.
While I don't think you all have to be from the same Clan (altough you definetly could be) you should be working for the same organization or should owe your primary loyalty to someone other than your Clan.
Big Pimpin...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Man, anything would be fine if we are shady. Wouldn't even matter about clan if we're hemin and below. Maybe a former Scorpion Shinobi or something, I dunno, lots of possibilities there.