Rules and Errata

General L5R Information is located here. New products, character designs, basic history and information. Everyone is welcome to contribute.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Rules and Errata

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:24 pm

Shawn Carman from AEG Writes
Okay, folks, here are some clarifications that have no place in the errata, because they do not constitute a change in the rules as printed. These are some hot button topics that have come up quite a bit, and I've just concluded a lengthy conversation with Rich and some of the other writers. These are the results of that conversation. Please direct further discussion along these lines here, rather than overpopulating the forum with additional threads about the same topics.

On a related note, I am adding several new items to the errata following this post.

COMBAT REFLEXES
This Advantage functions as indicated in the rulebook. There are no hidden limitations or additional benefits.

COUNTERSPELL
I was misled as to the contents of the Third Edition rulebook prior to my acquisition of a copy. The errata previously included in the errata thread regarding Counterspell was incorrect and has been rescinded. The information found in the Book of Air regarding all Shugenja Schools possessing the spell as an Innate Ability is correct.

RAISES
Characters may make a maximum number of Raises equal to their Void or Skill Rank, whichever is higher, just as is indicated on page 159. The Rank 10 Skill Mastery Ability on page 94 was not changed when this version of the limit was implemented.

SCHOOL TECHNIQUES
Techniques that require specific equipment will have such requirements stated in their write-up. For example, several Tsuruchi Bounty Hunter Techniques specify they must be used with an archery attack. The Mirumoto Bushi Techniques do not specify that they require a daisho, and therefore they do not require a daisho.

SKILL: KYUJUTSU
There is no Rank 5 Mastery Ability for Kyujutsu. This is not an error.

SKILL SUBSTITUTION
When substituting one Skill for another, a character retains all existing Emphases and Mastery Abilities unless otherwise specified by the Technique or Advantage that allows the substitution. Substitution Skill A for Skill B, however, does not allow a character to miraculously gain the Mastery Abilities of Skill B.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:30 pm

Shawn Carman from AEG Writes:
Book of Earth

Monk Orders - Should have been deleted altogether. A layout error resulted in the section's retention. Ignore the mechanical benefits, although the information on the orders is largely correct. Monk character creation rules are found exclusively in the Book of Air. This only applies to non-clan-affiliated monastic orders, not the Dragon Tattooed Orders.

Timeline - The entry described as "Gusai family name awarded" actually takes place in the year 429 rather than 438. References to the Empress Yugozohime should actually refer to the Emperor.

Book of Water

General Game Mechanics - Reference to the deleted Difficulties table persists. The table was deliberately omitted because it was of dubious value. The reference to the table should have been deleted as well, but was not.

Raises - On page 86, it reads "A character may only Raise a number of times equal to his Void Ring." This is incorrect. The passage should read "When making a Skill roll, a character may make a maximum number of Raises equal to his Void Ring or his Skill Rank, whichever is higher. On all non-Skill rolls, a character may make a maximum number of Raises equal to his Void Ring."

Skills - The second sentence of the Rank 7 Mastery Ability description for Medicine (page 98, "You roll an additional die when determining how many Wounds you treat.") is redundant and should be deleted.

Skills - The description of Storytelling (page 99) refers to a "Perception/Bard" test. This should be Perception/Storytelling.

Skills - The description for Jiujitsu should include the Emphasis: Atemi, which allows practitioners to utilize certain nerve strike Kiho, which are in turn found in the Book of Air.

Advantages: Great Potential - The proper reading of this Advantage should include "...the number of Rasies you may make is not limited to your Void Ring or your rank in that Skill."

Kakita Bushi School - Etiquette is listed twice. The proper Skill list is: Etiquette, Iaijutsu, Kenjutsu (Katana), Kyujutsu, Meditation, any High skill, any High or Bugei skill.

Doji Courtier School - The first sentence of the Rank 1 Technique should read as follows: You may add twice your Honor Rank to all Courtier, Etiquette, Lore (Heraldry), and Storytelling (Oratory) rolls.

Mirumoto Bushi School - The Rank 4 Technique has a clause omitted. The third sentence should be: You may not make more than twice your normal number of attacks per round using this Technique.

Kitsune Shugenja School - Beginning Spells were omitted. They are: Sense, Commune, Summon, 3 Earth, 2 Air, and 1 Water spell.

Iuchi Shugenja School - The correct Beginning Spells entry for this School is as follows: Sense, Commune, Summon, Counterspell, Heart of Nature, Nature's Touch, any 3 Water spells, any 2 Earth spells, and any 1 Air spell.

Book of Fire

Types of Rolls, Skill Rolls (page 158) - The sentence "More difficult tasks may impose a higher Target Number, and may treat a character with only a couple of Skill Ranks as Unskilled..." is in error. This was part of a system for sliding TNs that was later removed because it was overly complicated. This sentence should have been deleted.

Special Combat Situations - The Grapple description refers to a non-existent Wrestling Skill. This should be the Jiujitsu Skill.

Kata - The Phoenix kata Tail of the Sun references an Initiative bonus to polearms that was removed in late playtesting. A corrected version of this kata will be forthcoming soon.

Book of Air

Spells: Yari of Air - The following sentence was omitted from the spell write-up: "This weapon is wielded like a normal yari, but you may use your School Rank plus one in place of the Spears Skill."

Spells: Everburning Rage - The duration of this spell should be Full Concentration.

Book of Void

None as of yet.

Miscellaneous

There are errors in the map's legend, please take note when looking for certain symbols that their meanings may be reversed.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Rules and Errata

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:44 pm

AEG just put out an optional Ancestor Rule set for 3rd Editon. Check it out, Pyran, you and I should talk about your Ancestor and see about working it into these rules. I like the way they work. Players who wish to add to their history and take an ancestor with these rules may do so, if I approve. I will only approve with a good story and history for it, not simply for more mechanical bonuses.

http://www.l5r.com/rpg/rules_ancestors.html

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

School Update #2

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:55 pm

The second batch of old school updates from 1E & 2E have been posted on the L5R RPG Boards.

Here

This update covers the Lion, Mantis, and Phoenix Clans.
Ia Bukkake Fhtagn!

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

School Update #3

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:17 pm

I believe this concludes the School Update series from 1 & 2E to 3E. This covers the Scorpion (yay!), Shadowlands (double yay!) and the Unicorn.

Update #3
Ia Bukkake Fhtagn!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: School Update #3

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:22 am

Thanks KG.

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Re: School Update #3

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:01 am

Vardaen wrote:Thanks KG.
Just trying to do my part, big guy! :D
Ia Bukkake Fhtagn!

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Shcool Updates 1 - 4 PDF and Update 5

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:13 am

Wow! I've really been behind! Anyway...

I found the first four School Update Project subjects in PDF format, for easier download.

School Update #1
School Update #2
School Update #3
School Update #4

Finally, I haven't found a PDF for it, but here's the link to the final installment of the School Update Project, School Update #5

There, my L5R community service is finally up. Just let me say that never never try the gaijin mirror up the kimono trick with Bayushi Kachiko. Shite like this happens... :(

It was worth it though, hee hee!
Ia Bukkake Fhtagn!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Errata and Horses

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:08 pm

That is too funnny...

More errata, all players shouold take a look at this.

L5R 3rd Edtion Errata v2

Something key for many players from that errata are the stats on horses. I present them here.

Horses :
All horses have the fleet advantage at one rank, except the Utaku steed who have iit at 2 ranks. Their speed is calculated by doubling their water rank then add the fleet advantage bonus.

Rokugani Steed
Earth 2
Stamina 4
Water 3
Strength 6
Fire 1
Agility 2
Air 2
Kick attack to hit: 2k2
Kick damage: 4k2
TN to be Hit: 10 (15 at a gallop)
Wounds per wound level: 8

The Gaijin Riding Horse
Earth 3
Water 3
Strength 6
Fire 1
Agility 2
Air 2
Kick attack to hit: 3k2
Kick damage: 6k3
Wounds per wound level: 10

The Utaku Steed
Earth 3
Water 3
Strength 6
Fire 2
Air 2
Kick attack to hit: 3k3
Kick damage: 6k3
Wounds per wound level: 12
Special: Riders gain one Free Raise
with any action that uses the
Horsemanship skill.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Errata and Horses

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:45 pm

So here we go with a nice complied collection of Errata for 3rd Ed Revised. Thank Phlale for finding this.

http://doushite.co.uk/scrapbox/L5R/3ER% ... 50409).pdf