Character Creation

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

VtM - Character Creation

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:38 pm

Welcome to my World of Darkness game!

Go ahead and post character concepts, clan choices, or whatever here. I know that most of you aren't familiar with the tabletop rules, so I'll be posting a character creation example later.

Right now, I tentatively have two Tremere and a Nosferatu. Any other ideas are welcome.

Oh yeah. This game has a big "M" for mature pasted all over it. Remember, you all will be playing monsters that exist only on the stolen blood of innocents. Refined monsters in some cases, but monsters nonetheless. Just something to keep in mind.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:42 pm

I can play something else if two Tremere is too many?

Other choices would be Brujah or Venture.

Though, I really want to stay away from the leader bit in any more games. Maha's done me in for that. ;)
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:51 pm

Two Tremere aren't nessecarily too many. In fact, if there were less players, I would have had everyone play from the same clan. Makes things nice and easy.

Brujah and Ventrue are great choices as well. Right now, nothing is set in stone.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:54 pm

Okay, I will just see what happens. You can keep me marked as Tremere for now.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

WANNA_bee
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Character Creation

Post by WANNA_bee » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Kakita_Gokumoro wrote: This game has a big "M" for mature pasted all over it. Remember, you all will be playing monsters that exist only on the stolen blood of innocents.
Ouch, I guess that means I'm out. Only 16...
Sorry for not telling this before.

Geist
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Geist » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks for being honest WANNA_Bee! (Oh yeah... Welcome to the site!)
:)

I guess since you just lost a player, K_G, I'll join. Toreador or Malkavian for me please.

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:56 pm

Ouch, I guess that means I'm out. Only 16...
Sorry for not telling this before.
I'm sorry for not mentioning it earlier. Thanks for your interest in any case.
I guess since you just lost a player, K_G, I'll join. Toreador or Malkavian for me please.
I thought you weren't interested, Geist. Oh well, never look a gift ghost in the mouth, as my pappy always sayed. Welcome aboard!

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:10 am

If anyone is curious as to exactly how a character is created for this game, I would encourage them to check out the other character creation thread, where I have the whole process more or less mapped out.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:01 am

I was reading the CC thread and I had a few questions. I've never played, read, or heard anything about Vampire.

x) Can you post a list of the clans and the traits that go with them? - nevermind, I found the list.

2) What does Mature mean?

3) What type of game is this? Group/Solo? Adventure/Quest? Good guys vs bad guys? Are we good or bad vampires?

thanks,

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:35 am

I've never played, read, or heard anything about Vampire - other than seeing a bunch of kids doing Vampire LARP in the streets once, which caused me to block out any notion about playing Vampire games for the last ten years.
I completely empathize. Never let a LARPer corner you in a gas station... I won't elaborate.
Can you post a list of the clans and the traits that go with them?
This is on my list of things to do. I'll probably set it up on a different thread.
What does Mature mean?
It means this game is rated "R". Or perhaps "NR". If my NPCs are crass, they'll swear. If they're racist of homophobic, they'll act that way (racial slurs, violence, etcetera). Sex of all kinds will be described as appropriate (for example, if the characters enter an S&M club, expect to read some descriptions of that kind of activity). It means descriptions of violence where appropriate that may not be entirely comfortable (if a character falls into a feeding frenzy and the only other person around is a nine year old girl, guess who dies).

It means that some people may find themselves uncomfortable in this setting.
What type of game is this? Group/Solo? Adventure/Quest? Good guys vs bad guys? Are we good or bad vampires?
Whether the characters are "good" or "bad" vampires is up to the characters. In general, vampires could be summed up as being entirely self-serving. In this game you play a blood-sucking parasite, taking blood from a veritable herd of walking happy meals. Sounds kinda evil to me, but it's more complicated than that. The same vampire that breaks into retirement homes at night to feed may also be funding civics projects to better the community. Whether his good deeds outweigh the evils he commits in order to survive is a subjective opinion as opposed to a black and white issue.

What kind of game this ends up as has as much to do with the players as it does with me. The best World of Darkness games I've run involve me providing the setting and the players instigating their own adventures. Whether or not that's a feasible model won't be readily apparent until we actually play.

If at all possible, I would like to run this game as a group endeavor. As neonates (recently created vampires), you will have little power, prestige, social clout, etcetera. More powerful NPCs will attempt to use you for their own schemes, and the apparent catspaw of one NPC's enemy is that NPC's enemy as well. Simply put, there's safety in numbers.

I'll be posting some campaign background later about the setting and the NPCs, similar to the writeups I did for my Star Wars game. Maybe then players will be more comfortable defining where they would like their characters to fit within it.
Basically the only vampire stuff that I've seen is VH:D, Buffy, Blade, Dracula, and Dracula (Dead and Loving it, Mel Brooks). I know that these things probably provide no frame of reference for this setting.
You're probably right. If you can find it, White Wolf (the company that made Vampire: the Masquerade) produced a short-lived TV show called Kindred: the Embraced. It was fairly hokey, but entertaining nonetheless, and you get to see how one person's vision of the World of Darkness could be played out.

For a good feel of how the World of Darkness looks, Underworld is really spiffy. The movie itself is only okay, but the look is fantastic.

I'll post more inspirational films or books as they come to me.

Hope this helps.