Preparations Part I

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Preparations Part I

Post by Vardaen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:56 am

This is from the recent stroy Preparations Part I.

You can find all kinds of stories here:
http://www.l5r.com/story/

And the full story here:
http://www.l5r.com/story/preparations-part-i/

But I thought this was of particular interest, espcially among our Mantis players. It means the Mantis have a Celestial representative now, a "Kami" of their own just like the other Great Clans.
The Mantis

The Shining Court of the Celestial Heavens defied all mortal terms that might be employed to describe it. Its beauty was beyond all imagining, beyond all words. It was where the Sun and Moon held court, and perhaps busier now than ever before. The ascension of the Jade Sun and Obsidian Moon had fundamentally altered the Heavens themselves. What had once been broken and imperfectly recreated had been recreated once more, this time properly. The ramifications of that event had not yet subsided.

This cannot be permitted to occur, rumbled the voice of Thunder.

It is inevitable. It shall happen as ordained. The Order is above all else.

Thunder looked at Fire with a discerning expression. Ours is not to question, but to obey.

Thunder coiled and uncoiled in a demonstration of its agitated state. The mortal Kamoko is permitted to remain. Why not the mortal Yoritomo?

You know that the mortal Kamoko is permitted to remain on the luxury of the Kami, Air said softly. They are the children of Amaterasu and Onnotangu. The Jade Sun and the Obsidian Moon wish to honor them and the memory of their parents. The mortal Kamoko will be permitted to remain in place of their lost sister until such time as she returns.

This is unjust, Thunder said. It must not stand.

The choice is not yours to make, Celestial boomed. This is not for such as us to debate. The once-mortal must be expunged from the Heavens unless they have the patronage of another. The minor Fortunes, the souls of the dead Emperors'¦ these alone are to be permitted. No others may dwell among the splendors of the Heavens. So it has been decreed.

There is nothing that can be done to alter this, Water agreed. It is as it will be.

Thunder was silent, considering. There is something that can be done, it finally said.

You must not consider this, Void whispered. Your intention will unmake you.

I have no choice, Thunder said. It is my purpose.

Your purpose is not to cozy with mortals! Celestial said, its voice nearly a roar. You are the patron of heroes! Your call is to inspire!

None have ever been more inspired than he, Thunder said.

Your place among us will be forfeit, Earth rumbled. Your place among the Heavens will be his. You shall be cast out, and your duty will become all the more difficult as a result. You know this to be true.

I do, Thunder answered. It changes nothing.

Such temerity! Celestial's tone was indignant. Such gall! Your ties to the mortals have corrupted you! Do as you must. The Heavens shall be grander without your presence!

I regret that we must be at odds, the dragon said, but my course is unwavering. I shall cede a portion of my divinity to the mortal Yoritomo. He shall stand among the Heavens not as Fortune, but as an equal to the Kami. His position shall be assured.

It is done, came the mournful tone of Air. And now, it is you who have no place here. The Heavens reject you, Thunder. Be gone from this place forevermore.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Preparations Part I

Post by EvilMonkey » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:18 am

Yeah it was one of the temptations, I had to take it...
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.