Chapter 2a: A Priest and a Constable

The Long Night is over. The Reign of chaos has been put to an end and the Builder's order prevails. But those who worship chaos are still out there working to tear it all back down.

Run by the GM Bitom
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Chapter 2a: A Priest and a Constable

Post by TetNak » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:03 am

"Fall and rise?" asks Korban, "Do you believe the means to be killed and reborn as undead?" He narrows his eyes as he reads over the page, "I do not claim to be an expert of theology, but it seems somthing ordained happened here, something that the Builder could not protect this place from." He shrugs, "Whatever that was, I suppose, was the curse." Korban fully expects Tib to go off on some rant about how the Builder could not be defeated and other similar preachings. He just waits for it to happen.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:31 pm

What Brother Tibernious lacks in intelligence he makes up for in faith. "The Builder cast down his enemy from the heavens!" He flips around through the book backwards to see when the first entry was that spoke of the priest's prayers not being answered, tring to figure out how long the war in the heaven's might have lasted. "This place is foul. It is no place for the faithful of the Builder, it is the prison yard for the Enemy, who was cast out, forced to live in the wild like some dog. This whole place, not just the city, but the forest itself is the prison. I must tell the Church." He then goes about packing up the books, gingerly, and stowing them in his pack to return to the City and the Church there. "I...I did not read the name of the Trickster mentioned in these passages. Do you think they might be talking about another?" Tib begins to try and recall his lessons, about the Trickster and Undead, and if the two are tied to one another. He will even go as far as taking out his own holy text and using it as a resource looking for mention of a connection between the two. His face is set hard, and he attempts to overcome his own short commings, and to think for himself, to piece this riddle together.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:20 pm

Tibernious discovers to his shame that he can remember no stories directly linking the Trickster to the undead. The trickster is the spirit of the terrible wildness of nature, and there is nothing natural about the walking dead. The priest has learned for himself that the creatures are immune to some of his most powerful protections against the tricksters eminations.

A full read-through of his holy text will take the rest of the day, and the text he carries with him is but a summery of hammerite scripture. Who knows what might lurk in one of the ancient texts, thought unneeded in the smaller version mosts priests carry? Who knows also what texts the misguided orders of the Smith and Wallbuilder might hold?

Still, in the short time he's thought about it, Tib can find no connection between the two. Is it possible that there is some third god, unmnentioned in any text? The fall of Garmin is only a generation gone, two at the most, could a godly name have been lost in such a short time?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Brother Tib considers as he stands there flipping through his book having no luck in locating any link with such a short examination. "You know what Constable? I don't...there isn't...well this doesn't make sense! You know I can't think of any scriptures linking the Trickster to Undead Curses. Now there are a few stories of brave clerics destroying hordes of undead in battle and the like, but those could just be tales dealing with the Necromancer's Guild or isolated events. I wonder what would make the dead rise up like this if not for a God?" He still can't square the thought in his head that there might be a third god out there - none of his books mention it, none of his teachers said so, how could it be possible. "Lets look around a bit more."

Tib searches the bookshelves for any texts that might be of further interest, holy dogma of the Smith or Wallbuilder or anything that might provide addtional prayers. This could take a while... He begins to chant, calling on the power of the Builder to give him the gift of magical sight. He then scans the shelves for anything that stands out now that his eyes are attuned to magical energies.
Cast Detect Magic, scan the room for magical books, scrolls, or anything else.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:09 pm

The books show no magic or anything of interest whatsoever. Each that is pulled down is a logbook, just like the three on the desk, but for older times. It quickly becoems clear that this church has existed for a long time, and has kept the diary tradition for most of that time. In this room is a complete (if slightly biased) history of Garmin.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:57 pm

"Nothing special. We don't have the time to read more of these. The two I took will be enough." He double checks the two most recent logs in his backpack and then motions at the rest of the second floor. He will lead the search, checking anything else up stairs of interest. If nothing is found he heads down to the front yard. "Well. Now where? Perhaps an armory?"

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:17 am

Korban nods and the two head off in the city armory. This is the first in a long series of investigative stops, during which the pair might pick up nearly any form of equipment. They return to the church a few hours before sunset with no more idea of what happened than they did when they left the Rectory.
Putting you two on pause until the others finish their investigations. Feel free to PM me with any looting that you do.