The Lotus and The Baboon - Chapter 1

The Mahasarpa Campaign, a land of jungle ruins, an yuan-ti oppressors. Where swami, muni, and devapalas fight to hold back the curse laid on this once great civilzation long ago.

Centuries ago Saurama the Destroyer was locked away, defeated by the Deva of Mahasarpa. A prophecy was spun on the great loom that foretold that one day she would be reborn to take her vengence on the world. This is the tale of the Harbingers of that doom.(A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the GM Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Lotus and The Baboon - Chapter 1

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:25 pm

----- We Begin In The City-State of Bhalluka -----

The sounds of the Kamal Bazaar lift into an uproar of voices. All around merchants hock their wares to any who will listen. Here in the great bazaar of the city-state of Bhalluka most any thing is found. Sword smiths demonstrate the quality of their blades on ripe melons, splitting them in two. Armor smiths show off their light weight, yet protective suits of lamellar made from over lapping scales of metal and varnished hide. Flame swallowers dance past among a collection of music played by so many bards that no one song can be tuned in above the rest. Yet here in Bhalluka that is often the case, quantity over quality. A troop of signh march past on their way to the Mahavana Jungle and the dangers of the Yaun-ti that live with in.

Above all of this one can not forget the never ending struggle with the vile creatures of the jungle, of the fallen Mahanaga Empire (now named Mahasarpa), and the blood that is shed every day by the brave warriors of Bhalluka. Today however the smell of roast duck with jasmine and cardamom is stronger than the smell of blood. Dashing through all of this is a single man. Already late for his meeting he pushes past carpet merchants, through a group of pilgrims, and around several Brahmin in their white robes.

"I can't be late again, or Lord Prasad will take my head!" He can't help but think to himself on route to the small estates of the Prasad family. Nimble, and quick, the man will arrive only shortly after his appointed time.

Kneeling, already at the Prasad estates is the Kshatirya Shamad Prasad. A noble warrior of the family who has already distinguished himself as a capable swordsman, and trustworthy servant of the house. The courtyards of the Prasad family are simple, and humble, giving homage to the devas and devattas of battle, strength, and luck (for everyone can benefit from a little good luck now and then). Well tended gardens of jasmine, curry, cardamom, and dark black pepper make this location one that is hard on the nose.

Pacing back and forth before Shamad on the pebble walk way is Lord Prasad, a tall and strong man. Perhaps one of the tallest men in Bhalluka. He has seen his days of fighting, and watched countless friends and family die at the hands of the Yuan-ti, both in open battle, and in dark corners of the city itself. Now, getting on in years, he has shaved his gray hair off, and rubs his head from time to time as he paces. His silent brooding manner growing more irate with each passing minute. "Where is he?!" He finally growls.

----- Mean While Someplace Outside of Bhalluka -----

A lone path cuts its way through the jungle undergrowth tenuously. Even the jungle itself threatens all that man does here on the outskirts of the Bhalluka city-state's borders. The path connects one small village to another, each one growing slightly larger in size until they reach the center, which is Bhalluka itself. Birds of every color nest in the canopy above, and the sounds of animals in the undergrowth is ever present. This trail, only recently re-cut is already being lost to Mahavana.

It is down this trail that the lone wandered walks. Known in the Adribandha as Azora and adopted among the Muni and Yogi there, the young man has set out searching for his birth family. So far all roads have led to this one, and as of yet, only minor set backs and dangers have crossed his path, making him both more aware of his own potential and the potential for failure as well. This trail leads to the small village of Pequot, where the Swami Durjaya is said to live. This man is the last hope in Azora's quest. The trail ahead winds its way into the darkness of the jungle.

And so the Deva's begin to conspire...
Last edited by Vardaen on Thu May 06, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:32 pm

Azora has been on the road for many days, almost a month in his journey from his mountainous home in the Adribandha range. His journey has taken him South, through the perilous jungles inhabited by the Yuan-ti. However, he has been lucky, in that he only encountered one of the snake people, and was able to avoid a nasty confrontation.

As he began to encounter more and more in the way of civilization, Azora began to take more time at each location, trying to search out wise men. Many of the people did nothing but point him on to slightly bigger villages.

At his last stop, a small township -- comprising of a total of 8 buildings, including barns, he had found a wise-man that had seemed to know the sigil displayed on the ring that Azora presented for information. Upon noting the wise man's reaction, he asked permission to sit, so they could speak for a while. After a few hours, Azora had bought dinner for the two, and had learned of the Swami Durjaya in Pequot. After promising to drop by if he was ever in the area again, Azora waved to his new friend.

His journey to Pequot was relatively quick, only 2 days, miles eaten by Azora's need, no, hunger for knowledge about his past. Pequot would be his fourth 'village' in his month-long journey. Near the end of his 2nd day, he notices the jungle begin to thin, obviously the work of man against the dangers of the jungle, attempting to eek out a living against the ever encroaching wilderness.

Dressed in a light, dun-colored robe, with a walking staff, the man looks rather strange, not for his clothes, nor his bodily appearance, but for the rather weird looking armor that can be seen sticking just above the top of his backpack, as well as the STRAIGHT sword sheathed at his waist.

Man, I really hope that this Swami Durjaya might tell me more about this sigil. It is my only link to the past... I would like to know where I have come from...

OOC Note: I have used italics above to denote Azora's thoughts.

[edit]OOC: I've editied the paragraph concerning Pequot because of misunderstandings.[/edit]

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:53 pm

Shamad has knelt in prayer for many hours. Before the sun had rose his thoughts drifted to the heavens and the devas and devattas which have protected he and his House for many years.

His prayers said and duties calling, the young Kshatirya rises to his feet, left foot first, followed by the right, as tradition demands. Previously unaware of his Lord, Shamad's eyes quickly scan over the pacing image of Lord Prasad.

Slowly, Shamad makes for his Lord, head bowing deeply as he arrives close by. 'My Lord,' he says in greeting, 'May your humble servant be of service this morn? I may delay several duties of less import if you wish anything of me.'

He awaits a reply, noticing the ire that has haunted his Lord this morn and in truth many weeks hence.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

-- Outskirts of Pequot --

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:55 am

As the rain forest begins to thin, where man has cut it away for his plantations and groves Azora comes to a halt. Up ahead no doubt is the village of Pequot, still some distance off through the fields of mangoes and cirtus fruits that Pequot is famous for. Not far ahead one can see a small cottage that overlooks a few of the groves still some fifty yards away from the Bhaladhara Azora. Some gray mass lies before the building, but details can not be seen from this distance.

-- Prasad Estates in Bhalluka --

Lord Prasad turns along his pacing, eyes lifted from the pebbles to look at the young Shamad. "Yes Shamad, I have use of your tallents today. That is why I am here. I didn't mean to interupt your prayers, but since you are finished, let us talk." With a baleful glare he glances at the entrance to the gardens af if awaiting the arrival of another. (Another who darts his way around the last corner of the Bazaar and nears the estates of the Prasad. <Sezuc!>)

"There is something happening in Pequot, the small village just outside of Bhalluka. Something, that needs our attention." He folds his arms behind his back and stands straighter looking at the young Kshatirya, "Something I'm sure you will be able to handle along with another's aid... should he arrive in time." The Lord waits a few more moments, hoping the other will arrive before continuing with details.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:17 am

Azora slows as he draws nearer the outlaying building. He looks around to the receding jungle on both sides of the path, and then to the building. By this time, he has closed almost 1/2 the distance to the grey mass on the ground. Slowing, he attempts to take a closer look at the mass.

What is that thing? I can't make out the shapes. Perhaps I should hold up a moment and see if I can make anything out...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:41 am

As Azora moves down the path causiously, it becomes clear finally that the great gray mass is a dead elephant. Flys buzz over head, and a sick smell catches the breeze and blows down into the face of the Baladhara. With half the distance covered, it also becomes clear that a portion of the path on Azora's right is damaged, it appears the massive elephant came out of the jungle there before falling over in front of the cottage. No signs of man are visible, and still some yards to go before one would consider himself 'close' to the festering pile, Azora stands alone.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:01 am

Azora stops when he reaches the point where the elephant left the jungle. He takes a little bit of a closer look at the path, to see if he can determine anything about the path the elephant made. More than likely, the thing hit a tree the wrong way charging through here...

After looking over the trail, Az begins to make his way towards the hut, trying to determine if there is a way for him to go around the elephant's carcass without getting too close. As he nears the elephant, he glances over the carcass, looking for any obvious wounds. He never keeps his sight off of his surroundings for too long though. Better be careful here, I do not know what has happened... or if this is a recurring trend here...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

-- Outside of Pequot --

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:37 am

Azora moves about the elephant and the trail where the large pacaderm exited the jungle undergrowth. He moves over the trail, his feet marring the tracks of the elephant's He examines the area noding his head form time to noting things to himself.

NOTE:
(As I will do, things that are private, such as the results of Azora's searching I will send in private messages. It will be up to the person to divulge any information to the group afterwards.)

Palamon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Palamon » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:08 pm

*crunch*

The sound comes directly from behind Azora where stands a man of unremarkable size or build. An armed man, bow drawn, arrow notched and aimed. "Come back for your prize, have you?" He demands. "Step away from the elephant."

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:30 pm

Azora approaches the cottage, making an awful mess of the tracks as he does so. Looking back he notes his mess. Crap, I should be more careful. Oh well, nothing I can do about that now...

He continues to make his way to the front of the cottage, finally noting that the elephant's trunk and tucks are touching the door. When he sees this, he begins to turn. Oh well, so much for checking this place. I'll go into town and see if anyone there knows about this...

Azora begins to move away and *crunch*. He whips his head around, "Wha?" Regaining his composure a little bit, he raises his other arm away from his straight sword when he notes the bow.

OOC question: What language was that question in? I'm going to assume it was in Mahanagaian.

"I didn't do anything, I just came into town and saw this. Figured someone might be inside still... so, no, no prize." This was all spoken in Adribandhadic. He thumbs over his shoulder at the cottage.

If he doesn't get a response to shortly, he repeats what he said in Mahanagaian, also repeating the thumb motion.

He also backs away from the elephant.