Two Paths Diverge: Lakshmana - Chapter 8

The Mahasarpa Campaign, a land of jungle ruins, an yuan-ti oppressors. Where swami, muni, and devapalas fight to hold back the curse laid on this once great civilzation long ago.

Centuries ago Saurama the Destroyer was locked away, defeated by the Deva of Mahasarpa. A prophecy was spun on the great loom that foretold that one day she would be reborn to take her vengence on the world. This is the tale of the Harbingers of that doom.(A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the GM Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Two Paths Diverge: Lakshmana - Chapter 8

Post by Vardaen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:04 am

The two stop, and Vivec prays noticing thte missng statues of the Vanran Deva, a Deva of Mahasarpa not just the Monkey Men. He finsihes his prayer and speak to Janak. The temple is always full of spirits, but today things seem different. The most militant of spirits remain here... Vivec can see the spirits of those that linger in the world. He focuses his eyes to do so and can spot half a dozen, much less than normal. Most days mintrels and artisan spirits linger here, the occational lost spirit and any seeking contact with their past lives. However, now each spirit that stands around the chamber seems to be on guard duty. They are by first look warrior spirits, kshatriya that wield spirit blades, or stand with long spirit vita. The more timid and artisitic spirits are gone.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:23 am

Rhokti continues to stare at the glowing rock. Something in the back of his head is nagging. One of the Brahmin said something about a rock being a friend. Could this be the rock? It does have legs. It might be a friend. Which Brahmin said it? Well if it was Vivec, Rhokti remember which one, so it must be the other one. Rhokti grins at his powers of deduction and addresses the stone. "Are you the Brahmin man's friend?"

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:07 am

Vivec nods to Janek. "I must wait until tomorrow to ask my questions I believe." He then turns with Janek and begins making his way out of the temple. He once again pays no heed to who might be in his way, but this time it is because he is lost in thought. His feet take him along a path he knows well though, following the roads and waterways back to his home.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:50 pm

The crystal thubs a blue glow once to answer Rhokti, the smart monkey man.

Janak and Vivec leave the temple and return home. It takes a short while, but Vivec knows the way very well and they return home without issues. As they arrive they find Rhokti looking at the large gemstone like crsystal with legs. The two seem to be addressing one another in some manner.
Ok just keep it move, everyone is back together
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:05 pm

Vivec returns and then says simply to the others, "There are events int he city that I wish to ignore but which I may not be able to. Additionally, there are answers about the Harbingers and Mhuktar I wish answered. Tomorrow when I rise I plan to request a certain spell from the deva. With it I will return to the temple and commune with Laksmi." He pauses, "I will announce this so that others may gather and witness the communion...I may need your help then rhotki, as if my suspicions are correct there may be resistance at that point. When we are done, we will teleport away." Glancing to Janek he has a forlorn look on his face. "You were seen at the temple with me today, it is possible that after I speak with Laksmi tomorrow remaining in the city will be trouble for you."

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 am

Rhokti oots in confirmation to Vivec, making no sign for the other Brahmin that there is a reason that he continually makes animal noises instead of human ones. "I will need to return and reinforce my enchantment at the wall so that the others have a place to sleep. I think I will sleep here so that I can be fully refreshed tomorrow in case there is trouble here."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:10 am

"Janak is relatively quiet as they return to Vivec's home. When they arrive and vivec sets forth his plan, the psion nods in agreement. "There have been many events that I wish could be ignored. But you're right, they can't. Too many people have been hurt - or might be hurt - by them. Our Raja has made a mad grab for secular and religious power that has been frighteningly successful; the city has conquered its neighbor under the slightest of pretexts; and the people most likely to help us find a diplomatic solution - the Vanaran - have been exiled from the city. Everyone knows that something must be done to stop the chaos, but either they're happy with the changes, or they're afraid to risk opposing them, or they're too worried about who will eventually end up in power to take the immediate action necessary." He gets a black look on his face. "That's the main reason I've sent my family out of the city. I have a country house that's far enough away to avoid most of the troubles in Lakshmana. I go there to sculpt, so it's fairly isolated. And with its gardens and the local fisherman, virtually independent of outside need. I was planning on joining them within the week."

"And you're right," he adds, "being seen with you probably wasn't the best for me. But I also made a few enemies on my own among the raja's men when I stood up for the Vanaran as they were being exiled - for all the good it did me. My reputation has protected me thus far," he wrinkles his lip. "But I can't guarantee it will continue to do so."

"So I'll definitely be leaving the city, as you suggest." He takes a deep breath. "But I'm not sure that my country home is the right place for me to go. You say that you're playing a role in trying to keep this land together? To do the devas' will? Too many people have done too little lately - myself included. I have to wonder if a few more of us had spoken out more strongly in favor of the Vanaran, would the raja have dared to exile them?"

"No," he says with conviction. "I have to do something or I'm as guilty as anyone for whatever goes wrong. If you think I'd be of use to you," he looks Vivec in the eye, "I'd be willing to offer you what aid I can. My abilities have grown since last you saw them." He moves over and places his hand on the block of black marble brought from the temple. "Take a look."

Janak then concentrates and the stone begins to ripple as if it were made of water. It's top widens and rises, as it's middle narrows. Slowly markings on the side begin to rise out of the smooth stone, forming recognizable shapes. And in a shockingly short amount of time - surely no more than fifty heartbeats, he takes his hand away from an ornately decorated font. The basin is wide and shallow, about waist height. It is supported by six figures that are arrayed around the central pillar. Rising up to the edges of the font are the ursine paws of Mahabhalla; the great lion's mane of Singha; the powerful horns of Baqar; the stinging tail of Vriscik; the feathered wing of Gandharv; and finally the long-fingered hand of Hanuman, the monkey god of the Vanaran. The base is a simple circle, but it has a well-known sacred passage pertaining to the quest for knowledge inscribed around it.

"Will that do?"
Use Psionic Fabricate to make the font. Take ten on a Craft: stoneworking check for the basic job (result=25). And take ten on a Craft: sculpting roll to make it look good (result=25). That's 5 beyond masterwork, so it ought to be pretty nice. ;-)

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:46 am

Vivec watches as Janek creates the font and then sets it on the floor. He once more hunts about his home looking for materials and then fills the font with water from a particular jug he kept near one of his shrines. "Let us find out. Rhotki, I don't suppose you have anything the the High Brahmin man have given you or that belonged to him at one point?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:54 am

"You mean the self-styled maharaja?" Janak asks. "Nothing from him specifically. But his image is printed on our coins." The sculptor takes a golden coin out out of his pouch and holds it up for his friend to see. "That should provide some link."

"But are you looking to scry on the maharaja?" He adds incredulously. "He's a paranoid man and may have taken steps to either prevent that or let him be known when it happens. Watching him would just feed his paranoia - and possibly make you an even bigger target - but this time he'd have an excuse to come after you."
I'm making an assumption about the coins. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll revise my post.

But it seems pretty reasonable. The guy in charge always seems to have his face on the money.
Last edited by Trogdor on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:19 am

Vivec shakes his head, "I referred to the High Brahmin of Rhotki's city." Looking at the monkey he laughs for a second, "Or rather the city of Rhotki's friends."