The Deva's Breath Upon The Loom - Chapter 3

The Mahasarpa Campaign, a land of jungle ruins, an yuan-ti oppressors. Where swami, muni, and devapalas fight to hold back the curse laid on this once great civilzation long ago.

Centuries ago Saurama the Destroyer was locked away, defeated by the Deva of Mahasarpa. A prophecy was spun on the great loom that foretold that one day she would be reborn to take her vengence on the world. This is the tale of the Harbingers of that doom.(A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the GM Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Deva's Breath Upon The Loom - Chapter 3

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:37 pm

Here begins the third chapter in the Mahasarpa campaign. The heroes, in chapter two, put an end to the Yuan-ti threat in the immediate area around Pequot and the burned hunting village of Chun. Laying siege to an ancient temple dedicated to the Sun and Moon they slew the Yuan-ti Abomination High Priest Bhuskarna, and freed the Swami Durjaya. The swami's recovery has been a main goal since day one. They also met up with the Muni Nakan, and freed two others, one of them the Brahmin Sharma. Azora recovered a trapped awakened Obsidian Blade causing a terrible earthquake and releasing a Rakshasa from the ziggurat of the Moon. The group fled the temple knowing that they had no chance against the tiger-man devil. Returning to Pequot they have rested and have planned their next move. We now pick up from there...

Morning dawns bright and clear over Pequot. The clearing of the village looks up into the sapphire sky filled with light white clouds and a dazzling sun. The village of Pequot is a buzz with activity as the peasants go about their daily chores and head out to the fields that help suport the House Prasad's wealth. Standing in the center of the village is the Swami Durjaya speaking with Narmada. The man leans on his staff, the gourds dangle from the weapon shifting slightly in the light breeze that moves through the village. The old woman lays a gentle hand on Durjayas and they both laugh at some comment the healer makes.

The singh brought here by Tej Keji move out to relieve those that have been on guard throughout the night. Each holds tight a sharp pointed vita, and chooras hand from their sides. The brightly colored lammelar armors are painted in the House Prasad colors -- emerald and white.

Asuman, the village Headman and Tej Keji linger near the exit of The Golden Monkey speaking of the time ahead. "Do not worry Asuman, I have orders to stay here another week. You have nothing to fear." The older Headman nods in agreement and respect to the young Kshatriya. "All is ready for Shamad and the others."

You have all slept wonderful last night, a soft bed, and stout walls around you, not to mention the lack of biting insects, does wonders for your sleep. Breakfast has been had (a rich curried bean paste with plantains, a roast duck and flat bread), and people begin to gather outside. You have all had time to reflect on your journey so far, and many of you have gained new insights into your purpose here. It is nearly time to depart.
I welcome everyone to Chapter 3. Chapter 2's final post can be found under that thread, incase you missed it. Now is the time when I need to know what, if anything, people are taking from the pile of loot that was liberated from the Temple. Please include a spoiler or obvious post about it at this time. Anything that is unclaimed, will be considered 'donated' to Pequot and the refugees from Chun and Dhumana to ease their suffering.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Thoughts of Home

Post by TetNak » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:31 pm

Shamad steps out from his living quarters, the early dawn air upon him, and a smile over his face. Happy that everyone has survived, that Pequot is safe, and that he will return home for at least for a short time.

He does not miss his courtly duties, almost swelling with pride that he has proved Lord Prasad correct in assigning him to this mission. He thinks, 'If I die tomorrow, at least I will know I have given something to my Lord and people.'

The Kshtariya stretches out in his new lamellar armor, somewhat bulky for his tastes, but having no choice in the matter as his old armor rests in a heap atop the ziggart.

His mind flickers back to Ankita, his betrothed. For so long he has put off his duty to marry this woman. 'Oh how I despise her.' Shamad's mouth actually moves, almost saying the words. 'The money-hungry woman would easily cast me aside and marry another, richer, fatter, and less noble if it would get her something to shine. She would marry out of her caste indeed.'

Shamad shakes his head, but then stops, 'Perhaps Lord Prasad will grant me a boon to release me from my duty to her?'

Finally, Shamad pushes all these things from his head, turning and looking over the village. "I hope Ghanji makes it," is all he says, waiting for the rest of the group to gather before departing.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Wargie
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Wargie » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:53 pm

Toranoshi stretches his body, warming up his limbs in the morning sun which appears to have gotten a bit stiff after a good nights rest. He winces a bit while spending time doing his acrobatic tricks. And so after a while he moves over towards Shamad and speaks up with joyful voice,

"Are we bound to leave soon? What do you think we can expect in Bhalluka?"

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:30 am

Azora also begins to prepare to set out with the others, however, when he learns that the Swami will no longer be journeying with them, he seeks the other out.

Once he finds the Swami, Az approaches cautiously, waiting for the other to be finished with whatever task he is about. "Swami Durjaya. I had originally travelled towards this village seeking your wisdom in some matters. That was before all this happened though."

He looks around the village, noting several of the changes that have overcome the once peaceful setting.

Not that I've ever seen that peace here... though it does seem to be returning.

"If it would be amenable to you, I would like to ask some of those questions now, provided you've got some time?"

Pyran
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pyran » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:35 am

Sharma stays up late preparing a letter to High Brahmin Bhishma. When done, he finally falls asleep but has a restless night. Sharma is awaken several times sweating from nightmares about the tortures he had endured. He is assured by the knowledge that his tormentors are dead, his only regret is not getting a chance to personally end their existance.

When the morning light peers through the windows and wakes Sharma, he is groggy and listless. Like each day prior to being captured, Sharma begins the day with a prayer to Singhabhalla for strength and guidance. As Singhabhalla's blessing surges through Sharma, all side effects of a restless night disappears. He feels refreshed and is fully awake. With a skip in his step, Sharma completes preparations for another long day.

After getting his fill of the excellent food offered, Sharma joins the others for the journey to Bhalluka.
casting: Bull's Strength
using: Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)
spending: 4 turn undeads

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:09 pm

Nakan Wakes for the first time in weeks free of pain, aches, and most blessfully free of mosquito bites. He ritualy cleans and shaves himself, induldges in his morning meditations, and then joins the party for breakfast.

"Tis Good to have friends and i think it will be good to travel the road again."

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:35 am

Kalyani looks forward to returning to Bhalluka, it seems like she has been gone for ages when it has been merely a few days. She has seen more blood and destruction that she ever thought possible.

She flirts a bit over much with Tej Keji, but she is only reminising of her more naive youth. And not so much as to be inappropriate. She does not wish to bring the harsh reality to the city, but it is better that the House Prasad know and help handle the situation.

She is also only curteous to Azora, she has stopped defending him, feeling like she was wrong to defend him in the first place.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:09 pm

The group is collected, Shamad, Kalyani, Toranoshi, Sharma, Nakan, Rhokti and Azora. The village elders Asuman and Narmada as well as Tej Keji stand there as well with you. The Swami, after having spoken privately with Azora is also present.
Private conversation held 'off camera'
The Swami tilts he head and looks at each of you in turn. With a grim look he taps each of you on the shoulder with his staff, the dried gourds rattle against one another from the motion. "Return to the city city Bhalluka, speak to your Brahmin and your Lords. Tell them Rakshasa, and hope they can help. I will return to my home, and meditate on it. We shall meet again here when you return." He comes to stand next to Azora, and puts a hand, a orange hairy-knuckled hand, on the man's shoulder, "Be not harsh to him. He does not spin the wheel, but only takes the results like the rest of you do. He is kind hearted..." he ruffles Azora's hair like a grandfather might do to a young grandson, "...but oh so innocent still." He jumps back a bit his words finished, the others take their turns.

Asuman, and Narmada give you both deep bows, "Supplies for your trip. You are each provided two days rations of rice and fruits. Bhalluka is only a day away, but its always better to be safe." Narmada smiles at the orginal four that saved the village froom Shashakar and her Lizardmen tribe, "You have grown up much since you first came. Now, you are in good hands..." she shifts her eyes to Sharma and Kalyani the Brahmin. "...I fear you may never need my help again with the power of the deva behind you. Be kind to your fellows, and rememer Toranoshi, don't put strange herbs into your mouth!" She gives a laugh, and everyone laughs with her that knows the reference.

Tej Keji then stands before everyone, "Fear not for Pequot Shamad, I shall remain here another week. Please, deliver these letters to Lord Prasad for me?" He hands over three scrolls sealed with the houses's symbol.

All is ready, except for Ghanji. Kalyani can feel Trishna waiting on the edge of the village for her. You can wait no longer, and depart for the great city state of Bhalluka. Trishna meets up with Kalyani at the village edge, and under the guidance of Shamad Prasad the Kshatriya you begin the trip, without the Shikari Ghanji. The first few hours of the trip are plesant enough. The air is cool, the bugs don't bother you, and your armors and gear still seem light after such a comfortable night's rest. For some this is the first time going to Bhalluka, or the first time going to any major city and the feeling of apprehention and excitement mix well with one another. For others its a trip home, and it can not pass fast enough. You pause for lunch, fruits, rice, and fresh water. Then onward again till nightfall. Shamad, like before all those many days ago, suggests you continue on through the night, and everyone is more than ready to arrive, and so on through the night you go. By morning you begin to reach the edges of the city...

Bhalluka is built like a fortress city designed to defend against not only the ever present threat of the Yuan-ti, but against the jungle itself that creeps closer every day. A few dozen wooden houses sprawl around the outer wall of the city. Unlike Singha, where Nakan and Sharma are from, there is a stone city wall set with a wide gate. The buildings within are all wooden, as is piously right, for only the temples to the Deva are worthy of being built of everlasting stone.

Rising up over the west side of the city is the Temple of Mahabhalla the Great Bear. While the temple is home to worship of all the deva and devatta, the Great Bear dominates the temple. It is a massive ziggurat like the ruins you have explored but well tended, and splended to behold from afar. In the north section of the city is the Prasad estate with its luxious gardens and countless Kshatriya. In the center of the city is the Khamal Bazaar, the largest marketplace in the city. To the south are the head quarters of the Slayers, an elite group of Shikari of Bhalluka. As well as the Slayers also in the south are the Sarpa-Vyadhaka those that hunt down the insidous hidden Yuan-ti influence that might infest the city. And to the east are the gates that lead into this city.

You stand on the road looking at the city.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:43 pm

Shamad stops, staring at the city unphased by anything anyone could say or do. "Home," he whispers, sighing a short time afteward, his thoughts drifting to everything that had changed since he had left only weeks before.

"We should make our way to the Prasad estates immediately. Then, if warranted, we shall visit the temples with the Brahmin."

He points toward the Prasad estates. "Lord Prasad is not a rash man. We will all need to go to explain everything as we have seen it."

The Kshatriya then shows his status within the group, even taking authority over the Brahmin as this is a threat to state as well as the spiritual, by simply walking toward Lord Prasad's manor with no debate or discussion.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:02 pm

"Such splendor...." Nakan whispers in a voice that only thoes next to him might hear.

"I think SHamad is right, though i am again weary from traveling all through the night. I don't supose we will be given time to rest and clean ourselves before being presented to your Lord?"

Nakan starts brushing off some of the road dust.