The Barber and the Brother - Chapter 11

The Mahasarpa Campaign, a land of jungle ruins, an yuan-ti oppressors. Where swami, muni, and devapalas fight to hold back the curse laid on this once great civilzation long ago.

Centuries ago Saurama the Destroyer was locked away, defeated by the Deva of Mahasarpa. A prophecy was spun on the great loom that foretold that one day she would be reborn to take her vengence on the world. This is the tale of the Harbingers of that doom.(A vWorld Expansion)

Run by the GM Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Wedding Begins

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Karttika the 27th, 1096

The day has finally come. The wedding that everyone has been waiting for between Shamad Prasad and his cousin Sujata Prasad. The previous day has seen all the preparations for the wedding. The muni of the temple have been cleaning and preparing as best they can. Others have gathered the material for Janak to create the mandap, the wedding tent, and every thing else needed for the event.

The temple looks amazing, hung from every spire are emerald and white banners, the colors of House Prasad of Bhalluka. Flowers and candles have been picked and placed all about the temple grounds. In the center of temple grounds, east of the pools and buildings is the wedding tent, the mandap. This tent is supported by carved wooden pillars and draped with silken coverings and covered with kalashas (pots filed with water), garlands of mango leaves, coconuts, banana leaves, and local flowers. In front of the Mandap is the sacred fire, this fire will play a central roll in the wedding ceremony. It burns bright and clean, some five feet across. Shamad has asked Taymullah to tend to the fire, a rare honor for the foreign Imam, and one that shows Shamad respects the man greatly. Taymullah feeds wood to the fire as needed.

Then Sujata steps out of her private chamber and climbs up into the mandap. The bride wears a red and white sari that is made of the finest crafting that Janak could manage. The sari is draped over her hair and hangs around the woman perfectly. Her hands and feet are decorated withe henna tattoos of all sorts. She stands inside the mandap awaiting her bridegroom with a great smile and happy eyes.

All around the area stand the Muni of the Temple, Uttam, the wise men from Zakhara, Rambad the Ghulslayer stands with them as well, plus many local women and others from the nearby hamlet that helps support the temple.
Then the wedding truely begins, the Vara Satkaarah starts.

The great procession of Shamad and his kinsmen from the stagging area outside the temple grounds. Lined up, in all their finery come those Shamad considers family now. First at the lead is Ghanji Prasad, the shikari wears his char-char-ania, his four mirror armor, polished to a silver shine that reflects the sun so brightly that it is hard to gaze at. Next comes Toranoshi, a vassal of sorts of House Prasad, is dressed in sleek black clothing, his blades placed safely away this day. He strides confidently behind Ghanji. Third in the line is Azora, the Mhuktar wears the bright orange robs of the muni of the temple. His head cleanly shaven, he walks with eyes down, contemplating his place, with a happy smile on his face for Shamad and Sujata. Lastly is Rhokti, the Hengoyka turned Vanaran returned this morning just in time. He wears garlands in his clothing with banana leaves hung as decorations. Pazi rides on his shoulder a red flower tucked behind her ear. She stands up calling out the arrival of the group with loud Ooots and Eeeks.

Then comes Shamad Prasad. He is dressed in a fine emerald green kafni (long shirt extending to the knees) with white pijamo (leggings). All of these made permanent by Janak as well. He rides atop a great elephant of Afyal. The elephant itself is decorated with great cloth and many decorations.
When the group arrives at the front of the temple Janak steps out from the side of the crowd. Sujata's parents aren't here, and so as a replacement Janak has stepped in. Sujata being a Devapala has asked the Brahmin to do her this honor and he accepted with great reverence. Janak chants a few mantras and the in place of bride's mother blesses the groom with rice and trefoil and applies tilak of vermilion and turmeric powder to him once he dismounts.

Then the Madhuparka Ceremony. Shamad is recieved at the altar under the mandap, and Janak, in place of Sujata's father, turns and presents him with his gift....
I think this is a great start. I'll pause here to allow Trogdor to RP Janak's present. I won't wait for everyone at this point, but Tetnak should obviously be posting, and anyone else can feel free to join in as they like. i'll keep us moving because there are 13 stages to this thing and we are on #2! :)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Wedding Begins

Post by Trogdor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:01 pm

"Shamad," he says to the young man, "please accept this as a promise for the gift to come." He hands him a small piece of hard wood, carved into the shape of a gem. In the wood is a cameo of Sujata, her beauty almost lifelike in the image. "The final version will be carved from a gem to match the colors of her father's house. She will receive a cameo of you in a gem to match your house colors. That way, even if you must part, you shall always have the other with you." The wooden carving alone is a masterful work of art. Having the same done in a gem would be a true treasure.
This is a take 10 = 27 skill check. The gem will be a take 20 = 37.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:28 am

Taymullah attends to the fire with a grand smile on his face, His robes cleaned to a brilliant white and green, His ivory holy symbol hangs from his neck but his scimitars are not in evidence in the peaceful ceremony. He beams a smile to Shamad as he approaches.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Shamad arrives on a huge elephant. He seems slightly awkward up there, but does his best to put on a smile, which he has hardly done as of late, particularly after learning the fate of Nakan.

The elephant lowers him to the ground and he slides off as gracefully as he can. When Janak offers the gift, he bows his head in thanks, taking it with two hands. He is not wearing his left glove, which exposes his dark, scared left hand that barely looks like a hand at all. The skin is nearly black, but almost has a shine to it, as the wound is not fully healed and new skin has grown where it could.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Shamad accepts the gift from Janak, posing at Sujata's father.

Kanya Dan

Sacred mantras begin to be chanted by the temple's Muni. Many others also pick up the chant, having been to plenty of weddings Ghanji and Toranoshi both know the words. Then Janak turns to Sujata and motions her forward, "Be pleased to accept hand of my daughter in spirit Sujata of the Gotra Prasad."

Shamad nods, and gives a strange humming noise, "AUM, I do accept." Shamad then removes the scarf given him and places it around Sujata's neck. Both bride and groom speak out together, "Ye learned people assembled at this sacred ceremony know it for certain that we two hereby accept each other as companions for life and agree to live together most cordially as husband and wife. May the hearts of us both be blended and beat in unison. May we love each other like the very breath of our lives. As the all-pervading Deva sustains the universe, so may we sustain each other. As a preceptor loves his disciple, so may we love each other steadfastly and faithfully."

Shamad, smiling and beeming at Sujata, says, "Distant though we were, one from the other, we stand now united. May we be of one mind and spirit! Through the grace of the Deva, may the eyes radiate benevolence. Be thou my shield. May thou have a cheerful heart and a smiling face. May thou be a true devotee of teh Deva and mother of heroes. May thou have at heart the welfare of all living beings!"

Sujata, her joy obvious, replies, "I pray that henceforth I may follow thy path. May my body be free from disease and defect and may I ever enjoy the bliss of your companionship!"

Vivah Homa
Then the Vivah Homa, the sacred fire ceremony begins. All solemn rites and ceremonies commence with the performance of Homa.This creates an atmosphere of purity and spirituality. Taymullah adds fragrant herbs and ghee to he fire burning them and sending their smoke into the air. New mantras are sung, and the Zakharan even adds a small prayer of his own from the land across the sea.

A small container of water is heated on the fire, sacred sticks placed insice. Shamad and Sujat then begin several of the mantras. The three Achaman mantras involve sipping of a little of the water three times. Then the seven Angasparsha mantras involve touching water with the right hand middle two fingers apply the water to various limbs first to the right side and then the left side of their own bodies. On order the pair begin, Mouth, Nostrils, Eyes, Ears, Arms, Thighs and then they sprinkle the water all over the body.

Pani Grahanam
The pair move from the fire and sit inside the Mandap. Sitting across from each other they begin the Pani Grahanam, the accepting of hands. Shamad raises his left hand, Suajta her right, and he takes hold of it reciting, "I clasp thy hand and enter into the holy state of matrimony so that we may be blessed with prosperity and noble progeny. Mayst thou live with me happily throughout life! Through the grace of the all-mighty Mahabhalla, who is the Guardian and Sustainer of the universe and in the presence of this august assemblage, thou art being given away in marriage so that we may together rightly perform our duties as householders. With all my strength and resources, I have clasped thy hand; and thus united, we shall together follow the path of virtue. Thou art my lawfully wedded wife and I am thy lawfully wedded husband. Mahabhalla, the guardian and sustainer of all, has given thee to me. From today, it devolves upon me to protect and maintain thee. Blessed with children, mayst thou live happily with me as thy husband for the full span of human life (a hundred years). Following the divine law and the words of wisdom uttered by the sages, may we make a good couple and may the Deva vouchsafe unto us a shining life of virtue and happiness. As the Deva nourish and sustain all creatures through great forces like the sun, the moon, the earth, the air etc., so may they bless my wife with healthy and virtuous progeny and may you all assembled here bless her!

"I, in the honorable stead of her father, give Sujata to you Shamad, to be wed in the eyes of the Deva and the law of man." He places her hand in his and steps to the side. "She is the true gift, a pure maiden to her bridegroom."

Pratigna Karanam
Shamad taking the palm of the bride into his hand helps her to rise and then they both walk round the sacred fire, the bride leading. Then facing the east take the solemn vows of marriage. Both reciting one after the other:

I accept thee as my partner for life.
I will not keep away even mentally anything from thee.
I will share with thee all I enjoy.
We will persevere in the path of virtue, surmounting all obstacles.
We have 7 more steps to go, but I think a pause for a post from folks is in order
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Jesus!  Remind me never to go to a wedding like this in RL!
Shamad can hardly contain his excitement.  Over the long months of toil and even a longer time of attempting to understand the love they have between them, finally, it is near settled.  He performs most of the ceremony in a rush, even as the days have languished on like a cruel tormenter, the minutes of the wedding cannot pass by quick enough.  To the end, Shamad can only dream, to be joined in the eyes of the Deva and man at last.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Wedding Continues

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Ghanji shakes his head as the vows are taken. He leans over to Rhokti and smiles, whispering, "I bet you and Pazi would never be so long winded." A wink suggests he's just joking with the monkey man.

Shila Arohan

Yet another ceremony begins. Sujata is assisted this time by Uttam in placing her foot up on a large sacred stone. He begins to council her in preparing for a new life. With her mother not here to do this it falls to the head muni of the temple. He begins, "The stone signifies strength and trust. A married couple is likely to encounter ups and downs, joys and sorrows, prosperity and adversity, sickness and health. In spite of the difficulties facing you, you are enjoined to remain steadfast and true to each other."
He proceeds to recite a Mantra from the Atharva Veda, a well known holy text. He goes on and one for a good twenty minutes.

Laja-Homah

Sujata now turns to Shamad and begins the offering of the rice. Laja means parched rice and through it she makes offerings to her husband to be. She places the palms of her hands over those of Shamad and make three ahutis(offerings) of parched rice soaked in ghee (clarified butter).

She begins, "I adore Lakshmi, the unifier of hearts. Now that I am leaving my parents' home for my husband's, I pray that She may keep us perpetually united!"

Continuing she offers more, "With these offerings I pray for Long life for my husband and for the prosperity of all our relations!" She smiles and looks across at the gathered crowd at this point.

Then she turns back to Shamad, "In making these offerings for your prosperity I once again pray that the Deva may bless this union of our hearts!"

Parikrama

This is an auspicious and important part of the marriage ceremony. This aspect of the ceremony and the one that follows, namely Saptapadi (seven steps) constitute the most important part, in as much as it legalises the marriage according to Mahasarpan custom and tradition. These two aspects of the marriage ceremony establish an indissoluble matrimonial bond between the couple.

Shamad leads his bride as they circle together around the sacred fire three times Each time around the sacred fire they recite an appropriate mantra which expresses noble sentiments in relation to their future matrimonial life. Each round culminates in both Prasads placing ahutis of fried rice in the sacred fire. The Devatta's blessings and help are sought; loyalty to each other is emphasized and; a promise to keep in mind the well-being and care of the future children is made by each.

Then the next four circles begin, with Sujata now leading Shamad. As they walk around the fire Sujata promises that she will lead her life according to the tenets of the Hindu religion, namely Satya and Dharma or Truth and devotion to duty, and that she will always ensure that Shamad can rely on her to carry out her family, religious and household duties. Shamad then places his hand on the bride's head and states that henceforth she will be his wife and he will shield her against any danger or harm.

At the end of the four rounds they exchange seats, Sujata taking her seat to the left of Shamad.
Now is a find time for Shamad, during the 3 circles to offer up words to Sujata on how he feels and all that wedding stuff as mentioned above.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Re: The Wedding Continues

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:19 am

Rhokti is strangely quiet after his return from the woods. He is dressed for the occasion, his ornaments of braided banana leaves are well displayed and collections of small flowers brighten the green in the day's light. Even Pazi has decorated himself with a bright flower. But, even with the attempt at festivity their is a solemn quiet about the Vanaran as he seems to be, even with a distant smile, just a half step outside of the jubilant day.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:07 am

"Sujata Prasad, her beauty knows no bounds, any man can see. But the beauty in her heart I know, feel with my own, and am bound to forever, in this life and the next. It is her that I am granted strength, honor, courage and love. Let our union bear fruit and last many years to come."

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:10 am

Azora watches the proceedings continue through the various steps. He looks around at the others, pleased that things have gone so well for Shamad and Sujata in this set of ceremonies so far. He listens to Ghanji's jesting with Rhokti, which causes a smile to come across his face, but he says nothing in response.