Preamble: A Seaward Setting

The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich in magic and wonder where great empires clash, intrepid explorers journey beyond wild frontiers, and mighty heroes brave epic dangers. It is a land where familiar and beloved races and archetypes are reaching the pinnacle of their glory and wonder. It is a vast and rich realm where newborn nations are still islands of civilization in a dark and unexplored wilderness sea. The world of Dawnforge is a land where the greatest deeds have yet to be done and epic heroes are wrought in the crucible of legend.

Run by the DM Eanwulf
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Preamble: A Seaward Setting

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:06 pm

Continent of Ambria
Realm of Anderland
City of Seaward

"The winter snows have finally receded! In the lands surrounding the city of Seaward, crocuses cracked through the crust of old snow. Pale pink and white blossoms pushed up at the bases of bare-branched trees. In the warm sun, sap creaked through the oaks and maples. Birds sang in the morning and the forlorn calls of owls filled the night."
The largest of all Anderlar cities, Seaward is also the first city-state to have been founded in Anderland. It was in Seaward that the Druids fashioned the first Thorned Throne, in Seaward that seagold was first harvested, and in Seaward that men organized the defense of Anderland during the goblin wars.

As the birth place of Anderland, Seaward is important to the people of the region as a symbol of their past, but it maintains its relevance in the present through its massive trade network and military strength. Seaward handles all harvesting and distribution of seagold, giving it a steady source of income with which to fund its navy and enormous army.

Situated on the juncture of the Dural River and the Goldspring Sea, Seaward is a gleaming monument to human strength and engineering. Unlike the other city-states, Seaward has an enormous stone fortress at its center. The structure contains the city's Thorned Throne and is so heavily ornamented and reinforced with seagold it seems to be made entirely of metal when the rays of the morning sun play across its surface.

You have grown more self-aware of your divine "gifts" over the months of travel. Rumor has it that the people of Anderlar actually sponsor young up and coming shapers that have proven their abilities to be something other than "parlor tricks". You pray that some kind soul is out there to aid you in both fully understanding your calling as well as to spread the Sovereign's word. So far your travels have you in the city of Seaward, where you hope to someday reach the fabled "city of heroes", Riversend.
You are currently residing at the Goldside Galleon inn and tavern; a pleasant dockside hostel that overlooks the Goldspring Sea. You have been waiting in port for your ship to leave; your destination the city of Riversend. The boat's steward has recently sent unfortunate word that your trip will be delayed for a minimum of at least three days; most likely a week or more. It appears that the boat's hull was long overdue for a lengthy scraping as well as several additional offenses the local officials deemed necessary before it could disembark. Despite your own personal sense of urgency, you have chosen to remain optimistic; making the best of the additional time needed as you can.
Having finally secured a place to stay in the common district you have spent the past two weeks desperately searching for passage to Riversend. You are about to give up hope and have reluctantly begun making plans to set out on foot. For the most part, the people of Anderland seem polite enough; but their obvious fear and wariness towards your race can hardly remain masked for long. Luckily you managed to pilfer a considerable amount of coin from Heistrom's coffers before escaping, as it would seem that you will wind up needing every bit and crown.
You mustered out of the service over a month ago. Since then, you have spent the time helping out your father as much as possible; hoping to hear word back from Hawthorn Enterprises. You hope to land a position somewhere within their security division. Both Veran and your father have written several letters of recommendation and you hope to hear from them any day now. Until then life, for the most part, has pretty much returned to the familiarly predictable manner it used to be. Secretly however, you don't seem to mind the simplistic monotony of it all as much as you did before joining the military.
Sebric has been riding you hard these past weeks, challenging you with tons of various tasks and chores; each testing the various skills and talents you have learned over the recent months. He seems to be grooming you for something, or at least that is how it feels; the old coot being harder to read than draconic written backwards in invisible ink! Fellow guildsmen have heard rumors of the Clinch's desire to see how well you do in the field, but so far they have remained nothing more than rumors. Longing to see some real action, not to mention the open sea, you bide your time patiently, praying the rumors are true.

No need to reply as I am merely helping "Set the Scene" for each of you. More to come soon! Game On! Also, I will add Krill's character's introduction once I get his name and background.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Mon May 26, 2008 2:55 am, edited 9 times in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

A Seaward Setting - Faldrin's Introduction

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Lothron 13, CY 997
City of Seaward - Dockside
The Goldside Galleon Inn and Tavern

Reluctantly, the morning sun cast tendrils of wispy light down upon Faldrin's still, naked form. The bed paid for the previous night had remained untouched, the silent elf opting to sit cross-legged on the floor; nothing more than a small wicker mat providing comfort or protection.

Eventually the warmth of the morning rays stirred Faldrin from his nightly meditation. Slowly, he opened his eyes before standing to embrace the new dawn with open arms. The elf's angular features and long spindly limbs glistened with perspiration in the dawn's early light as he concluded the last of his morning rituals.

The basin that brimmed with cool refreshing water did little to wash away the disturbing visions that still lingered within the young elf's mind. Something was terribly wrong and Faldrin was powerless to do anything about it...yet. Having cleansed himself thoroughly, Faldrin grabbed a soft cloth towel and began to pat himself dry; pausing when reaching his face.

Leaning in to gain a better view in the beaten copper mirror that hung upon the wall, Faldrin's face saddened as he began to slowly trace his fingers along the bones of his jaw and cheeks, pressing in as he went along. It was spreading!

Faldrin cursed his reflection, his fist drawing back to smash the mirror into a million glass fragments.

"By all that was sacred, what is happening to me!?"

These thoughts went unanswered as a resounding knock was suddenly heard upon the door.

His anger quickly fading, Faldrin donned a long gossamer sleeping gown before slowly creaking the door ajar. Breathing a sigh of puzzled relief, Faldrin politely greeted the cheery form of his portly innkeeper.

"Ah master Faldrin! Good morning and morrow to you! I pray you have slept well! I hates to disturb you this morning, but it would appear that you have a visitor!"

Leaning in, the innkeeper's voice dropped to a hushed tone before adding;

"Now I always likes to look after me guests proper like master Faldrin. This lad below looks harmless enough, most likely someone's lackey. If you wants I can get rid of him easy enough, just you says the word!"

Faldrin smiled as he denied the innkeeper's request, his curiousity about the visitor below growing each passing moment. The young elf more than welcomed the mental distraction of guessing the visitor's identity as he got dressed; his spirits gradually improving.

"Perhaps it was a courier from the docks, here to inform me that the boat is leaving port sooner than expected! Oh I do hope it is not the opposite! I need to reach Riversend as soon as possible! I must find that tome! It has to contain the answers I seek!"

Finally dressed and ready, Faldrin made his way downstairs and into the common area where he quickly located his visitor, a young lowlander - his trappings marking him as a courier of some sorts. The courier's face was reddened and he nervously fidgeted with his belongings.

Aware his presence had been acknowledged, the young lad did his best to regain his composure. After clicking his heels together in formal presentation, the page bowed deeply, beginning his speech.

"Good day to you fine sir! My name is unimportant, however the task set before me is not!"

Swallowing deeply, the courier continued his well-rehearsed oratory.

"Faldrin Telumehtar. I bear an important message from the legal representatives of the esteemed mercantile House - Hawthorn.'

The young man straightened his posture, slowly reaching into the fine leather rucksack that hung from his shoulder. He then bowed ever so slightly, presenting Faldrin with a rolled parchment scroll.

Confused, Faldrin unfurled the parchment and read the following;
Faldrin Telumehtar;

Greetings and Good Morrow! Serving as chief legal representative to the mercantile conglomerate hereafter referred to as Hawthorn Enterprises, it has recently come to our attention that you may possess the skills and talents needed to assist us in an upcoming venture.

I do understand that your time is valuable and do not wish to interfere with any prior engagements. If, however, you do show an interest in aiding our conglomerate, further information can and will be provided upon your arrival to one of our local establishments hereafter referred to as "The Great Oasis."

Upon arrival you need only seek out the hostel's proprietor, one Dennil Qannatir; informing him of your interest in the aforementioned endeavor. He shall then lead you to one of House Hawthorn's leading headmen, hereafter referred to as Ulno Tullwater.

More information shall then be made ready to you, by Master Tullwater, on a strict "need to know" basis.

Note that though acceptance of said request is totally voluntary; fulfilling our request will, however, hold favorably in our eyes, perhaps aiding you in future endeavors with our companies.

As always, we thank you for your time, bidding you a fond farewell.

Porfus Crudel, Esquire
Primary Legal Counsel
Hawthorn Enterprises

The scroll contains very detailed directions for locating "The Great Oasis" and appears quite legitimate; bearing an "official" notarized seal of approval by Seaward's Captain of the Guard - Karas Horshta. Also, check for a PM.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

A Seaward Setting - Kharn's Introduction

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:29 pm

Lothron 12, CY 997
City of Seaward - Shores of the Goldspring Sea
The Boatyards

Most of the morning had been spent aiding his father haul several loads of lumber down to the shores of the Goldspring. There they would eventually be soaked, treated, and molded for future use on their current contract; a sizeable carrack aptly named "Larreth's Hold." After the last wagon of timber was unloaded, the two broke for an early lunch.

The morning sun burned bright as Kharn plunged his head deeply into a nearby rain barrel, hesitantly reemerging to shake off the wet residue.

"Kharn, you have a visitor," Ehren exclaimed calmly while peeling an apple.

Turning around, Kharn found a young lowlander standing, his trappings marking him as a courier of some sorts. His face was reddened and he nervously fidgeted with his belongings.

Aware his presence had been acknowledged, the young lad did his best to quickly regain his composure. After clicking his heels together in formal presentation, the page bowed deeply, beginning his speech.

"Good day to you fine sir! My name is unimportant, however the task set before me is not!"

'œKharn Ehrenson, former protector and sworn defender of the city of Seaward. I bear an important message from the legal representatives of the esteemed mercantile House - Hawthorn.'

The young man straightened his posture, slowly reaching into the fine leather rucksack that hangs from his shoulder. He then bowed ever so slightly, presenting Kharn with a rolled parchment scroll.

Unfurling the parchment Kharn read the following;
Kharn, son of Ehren;

Greetings and Good Morrow! Serving as chief legal representative to the mercantile conglomerate hereafter referred to as Hawthorn Enterprises, it has recently come to our attention that you may possess the skills and talents needed to assist us in an upcoming venture.

I do understand that your time is valuable and do not wish to interfere with any prior engagements. If, however, you do show an interest in aiding our conglomerate, further information can and will be provided upon your arrival to one of our local establishments hereafter referred to as "The Great Oasis."

Upon arrival you need only seek out the hostel's proprietor, one Dennil Qannatir; informing him of your interest in the aforementioned endeavor. He shall then lead you to one of House Hawthorn's leading headmen, hereafter referred to as Ulno Tullwater.

More information shall then be made ready to you, by Master Tullwater, on a strict "need to know" basis.

Note that though acceptance of said request is totally voluntary; fulfilling our request will, however, hold favorably in our eyes, perhaps aiding you in future endeavors with our companies.

Porfus Crudel, Esquire
Primary Legal Counsel
Hawthorn Enterprises

The scroll contains very detailed directions for locating "The Great Oasis" and appears quite legitimate; bearing an "official" notarized seal of approval by Seaward's Captain of the Guard - Karas Horshta.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

A Seaward Setting - Solia's Introduction

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:35 pm

Lothron 14, CY 997
City of Seaward - Trade District
In the basement of one of the Clinch's workshops

It was mid-morning when Solia finally finished the last of Sebric's tasks, the previous night having been spent disassembling over a dozen locks; each of varying difficulty. A brief sigh of relief escaped as she triumphantly eyed the numerous pins, cogs, tumblers and latches that lied meticulously placed before her.

Suddenly a disgruntled snort could be heard from behind Solia; just scant moments after grabbing a nearby rag to clean the oil and grease from her face and hands.

'œHrmph! Took you long enough woman! Not too bad though I suppose.'

Solia spun around and snapped to attention as the guild elder began to examine her progress. Sebric's wiry form examined each piece with hawk-like precision. After scrutinizing her work for several moments, Sebric exclaimed;

'œFine, fine...This will suffice for now Solia. You have a visitor this morning, a courier by the looks of him; all done up in fancy garb and smelling like a whore no less! Go on and see what she wants before even thinking about getting some shut-eye.'

Holding up an elaborate series of tumblers, the guild elder's eyes widened ever so slightly in admiration before adding;

'œBetter yet, when you're done upstairs, come back down here! There is something we need to discuss before you go gallivanting off to bed!'

Desperate for sleep, Solia quickly made her way up the basement stairs and into the guild's workshop. Several of her fellow guildsmen were busy crafting various locking mechanisms; others likewise busy tending to the needs of several potential 'œclients'.

Sebric's instructions led Solia to a young lowlander, who fidgeted with his belongings furiously. His trappings marked him as a courier of some sorts; obviously new to his trade, as his face was reddened with nervousness.

Aware his presence had been acknowledged, the young lad did his best to quickly regain his composure. After clicking his heels together in formal presentation, the page bowed deeply, beginning his speech.

"Good day to you madam! My name is unimportant, however the task set before me is not!"

'œSolia Tayhoj. I bear an important message from the legal representatives of the esteemed mercantile House - Hawthorn.'

The young man straightened his posture, slowly reaching into the fine leather rucksack that hung from his shoulder. He then bowed ever so slightly, presenting Solia with a rolled parchment scroll.

Unfurling the parchment she read the following;
Solia Tayhoj;

Porfus Crudel, Esquire
Primary Legal Counsel
Hawthorn Enterprises

The scroll contains very detailed directions for locating "The Great Oasis" and appears quite legitimate; bearing an "official" notarized seal of approval by Seaward's Captain of the Guard - Karas Horshta. Also check for a PM.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

A Seaward Setting - Gronn's Introduction

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:51 pm

Lothron 15, CY 997
City of Seaward - The Dockyards
Outside the Offices of the Harbor Master

"Dungspit and Hellfire! How dare they tell me there are no ships headed to Riversend this morning! Is my coin not good enough for them!? Filth-spawned sons of..."
Gronn's thunderous curses had drawn unwanted attention from the surrounding locals. Quickly regaining his calm, Gronn lowered his head and began to travel among the back alleyways towards his room.

The ogre's morning had not been a pleasant one, having overslept the crack of dawn. Gronn had done his best to hurry to the Harbor Master's office in attempts to secure passage on any vessel headed to Riversend; only to be met, yet again, with a formal denial that reeked of politely hidden prejudice.

'Surely the people of Anderland were better than this!'

Even as he hobbled among the back alleys leading into the common district, Gronn's giant stature was met with fear and avoidance. If only they could get to know the kind and gentle heart that beat beneath his hulking form!

By the time Gronn reached the safety of his rented room his ankles blazed with pain. Within moments, an oaken bed creaked and groaned as Gronn sat his weight upon it. The ogre then began to rub scented oil upon his heavily scarred heels and ankles.

The tortured sounds of a hungry stomach filled the small room as Gronn treated his feet. The young mage cursed softly at his forgetfulness, placating his "starving beast" with promises of a huge breakfast.

Finished doctoring himself, Gronn descended the stairs and into the tavern's common room, intent on appeasing his stomach's requests.

'œYes, I would like porridge, eggs, and bacon'¦oh yes'¦some bacon '€" and hamsteak! I would also like some bread and cheese'¦oh yes and some of those delicious fat sausages'¦I must have some of those! Also please give me a gallon of your freshest milk!'

After placing his order, Gronn reached down and gave his coin purse a gentle pat. Reassured all was in order, he sat back and patiently waited for his food.

Several minutes later, both breakfast and visitor arrived at Gronn's table.

The visitor was a young lowlander, his trappings marking him as a courier of some sorts. His face was reddened with embarrassment and he nervously fidgeted with his belongings.

"Good day to you fine sir! I do so hate to interrupt your breakfast, however the task set before me is of utmost importance!"

'œMaster Gronn. I bear an important message from the legal representatives of the esteemed mercantile House - Hawthorn.'

The young man straightened his posture, slowly reaching into the fine leather rucksack that hangs from his shoulder. He then bowed ever so slightly, presenting the ogre with a rolled parchment scroll.

Unfurling the parchment Gronn read the following;
Young Master Gronn;

Porfus Crudel, Esquire
Primary Legal Counsel
Hawthorn Enterprises

The scroll contains very detailed directions for locating "The Great Oasis" and appears quite legitimate; bearing an "official" notarized seal of approval by Seaward's Captain of the Guard - Karas Horshta. Check for a PM
Last edited by Eanwulf on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

A Seaward Setting - Ariah's Introduction

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:51 pm

Lothron 12, CY 997
City of Seaward
Streets of the Common District

The morning air, though not overbearingly hot, hung thick with humidty. Ariah wiped the sweat from his brow before continuing to load the last of the sacks of grain and wheat. Despite his best efforts, the young lowlander's forehead glistened and his clothes clung and stuck about him; his body thoroughly soaked with perspiration.

Ariah's original plan of enjoying a pleasant morning walk had been interrupted after spotting a local farmer in distress. The farmer's wagon had thrown a wheel and, from the screams and curses that were being shouted, help seemed reluctant to come anytime soon.

Though he was accustom to such labors, Ariah sighed deeply as he finished loading the wagon. The young lowlander's soul weighed heavy as he bid the farmer farewell and safe travel.

Had he really been gone from home this long?

Will he ever see home again?

What does the future truly hold in store for him?

Disgusted with his apparent lack of faith, Ariah snapped back to his senses, vowing to drown any further doubts in a good wholesome morning bath.

Gathering up the small basket of vegetables that comprised his previous endeavor's payment, Ariah headed back to his room.

Ariah paused to step aside as he entered the inn, allowing a halfling woman to exit. The "faring folk" had always filled Ariah with a never-ending sense of wonder, their devotion to family and friends standing out above all.

The young lowlander blushed profusely, doing his best to politely smile as the little lady gave him a flirtatious wink.

His cheeks still reddened with embarrasment, Ariah headed towards the stairs leading up to his room; only to be stopped by a shrewd weasel-faced innkeeper. The innkeeper had spotted Ariah upon his entry and quickly scurried over to him, a somewhat displeased look upon his face.

Reluctantly, the innkeeper tossed Ariah a rolled parchment scroll.

"Here, this came for you earlier! I told the painted-faced lad that NOONE disturbs me guests! Then the young whelp had the nerve to act like he didn't trust me to give you his message! He even made me sign papers stating that I would give it to you! Bah! What kind of a world do we live in if you can't trust your local innkeeper!"

Any form of thanks or apology seemed to fall upon deaf ears as the old man threw his arms up in protest. As quickly as he had arrived, the innkeeper turned and sped away, greedily tending to his other guests.

Defeated, Ariah made his way upstairs where he perused the scroll's contents over a long hot bath.
Ariah of Saranor;

Porfus Crudel, Esquire
Primary Legal Counsel
Hawthorn Enterprises

The scroll contains very detailed directions for locating "The Great Oasis" and appears quite legitimate; bearing an "official" notarized seal of approval by Seaward's Captain of the Guard - Karas Horshta. Also WELCOME ABOARD! About time /snicker.