Chapter One: Worked Like A Dog

The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich in magic and wonder where great empires clash, intrepid explorers journey beyond wild frontiers, and mighty heroes brave epic dangers. It is a land where familiar and beloved races and archetypes are reaching the pinnacle of their glory and wonder. It is a vast and rich realm where newborn nations are still islands of civilization in a dark and unexplored wilderness sea. The world of Dawnforge is a land where the greatest deeds have yet to be done and epic heroes are wrought in the crucible of legend.

Run by the DM Eanwulf
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Chapter One: Worked Like A Dog

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:51 pm

Assuming that each of you have decided to take up the offer provided by your mysterious invitation, we shall begin the campaign as if you have each arrived outside the Great Oasis as per instructed.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

So It Begins - Everyone

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Lothron 16, CY 997
City of Seaward - Eastern Docks
Outside The Great Oasis

By the time you finally reached the eastern docks, it was roughly mid-morning. Numerous clusters of armor-clad guards patrolled with iron vigilance, and the piers bustled with activity. The smell of fish hung thick in the morning air and the thunderous echoing of trampling feet drowned out all but the loudest of sounds.
The guards that patrol Seaward are VERY militant, consisting of a guard captain (breastplate & greatsword) leading a squad of 4-9 guards (chain shirt, light steel shield, & longsword). ALL of them carry light crossbows READIED at hand and scour the docks for any signs of trouble!
Referring once more to your provided directions, it became evident that you had finally reached your destination.

A three-storied building stood before you, constructed of neatly cut limestone, the roof of which shingled with green ceramic tiles. The structure itself was designed, with great accuracy, to resemble the appearance of an entryway to one of the great desert caravanserais.

Entrance to the front of the building was provided by two huge sets of rounded double doors and a smaller door of similar design could be seen as well. One would surmise that the auxiliary door acted as an exit or even some form of service entrance. The doors themselves were made of solid oak, elegantly decorated with the carven images of two crossed palm trees looming over a pool of water; their entirety lacquered an identical green as the ceramic shingles.
A slow but steady influx of pedestrian traffic indicated that the establishment was presumably open for business and what sights and sounds you managed to discern coming from within proved to be quite captivating and bore further investigation.
Local patrons going into and out of the building in front of you are predominantly lowlanders and saltbloods, though an occasional dwarf, halfing, or trueborn can be seen making their way through the double doors as well. Most appear to be local fishermen, sailors, and dockworkers. When the doors open the melodious sounds of a sitar can be heard as well as much loud and hearty laughter; quickly ending as the doors make their way shut.

Just in case you were curious on the timing of events. I used 9:30 a.m. as the base arrival time. From there I added the highest initiative result (Gronn with a 21) as minutes to this time. From there I simply added the difference between each additional result to calculate each new arrival (i.e. Faldrin and Solia's initiative result of 14 making their time 9:58 a.m. - 7 minutes after Gronn's). This being said:
9:51 a.m. Gronn arrives
9:55 a.m. Kharn arrives
9:58 am Faldrin and Solia arrive (look for PM's)
10:04 a.m. Ariah arrives
Well this is it the official beginning!
With the exception of Faldrin and Solia, you fail to notice one another'¦for now!
Please use common sense when posting replies.
I will be giving you a small pause just in case you wish to do anything prior to entry, etc.
Enjoy the game and post replies appropriately!
Game On!
Last edited by Eanwulf on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kharn
Level 2
Level 2

So It Begins - Kharn

Post by Kharn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:51 pm

Kharn looked fervent but alert as he took one last moment to gird himself for whatever job awaited him beyond the double doors, reminding himself of his father's advice - to be wary of those around him. Kharn straightened himself, adjusted his belongings, and stepped through the door to seek out the mysterious Ulno Tullwater.

Valleda
Level 2
Level 2

So It Begins - Solia

Post by Valleda » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:55 pm

A wry smile formed about Solia's lips as she entered the set of double doors, her previous night's trip to the Golden Oasis having paid off. Thankfully the young saltblood had already dismissed with the tedious formalities of tracking down the "grossly" obese Qannatir, and now knew where it was she must go.

"Carry yourself with purpose and pride and you will accomplish much in the world Solia..."

These words uttered by her mentor Sebric, though in a drunken stupor at the time, echoed within the young rogue's mind as she sauntered past the dark skinned hostess and into the bar proper.

Quickly locating someone, Solia placed a hurried order;
"Give me a shot of bloodwine and make it fast!"

Tesseract
Level 2
Level 2

Gronn

Post by Tesseract » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Gronn entered the building and began asking around for the proprietor, Dennil Qannatir. The tall ogre moved around the area asking his question.

"Excuse me. Could you point me to Dennil Qannatir? He is the proprietor of this hostel."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: So It Begins - Solia

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:17 pm

The young man tending bar was obviously of mixed heritage, most likely saltblood and madoc. Solia admired his bronzed athletic form as he quickly poured bright scarlet liquid into a shot glass. Smiling politely the young man placed the glass before Solia.
"Haere mai! Here is your drink. That'll be a gold crown!"

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: So It Begins - Kharn

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 pm

Kharn's cloven feet clomped dully upon sawdust littered floor as he entered the westernmost set of double doors. Beyond these double doors lay a decorated foyer.

Many of the taverns of Seaward have their decor based on some popular topic from legend or history. The Great Oasis was one of these; styled to represent a huge watering place that legend places somewhere in the Azran Desert northeast of Saredrin. The effect was carried off quite well, if somewhat fancifully. The walls were painted with jungle scenes, and tree-shaped pillars were set between tables in the main rooms. Caged birds from the Dreaming Isles filled the air with their songs, and some had been trained to harangue the patrons with bawdy phrases and improper questions. Finally, animals from the island jungles had been stuffed and placed in corners and open spots around the floor.
In addition to the standard fare, the menu offers dishes with fruit and fowl taken from the Dreaming Isles.
Kharn made note of the two large common rooms that flanked either side of him as rhythmic sounds of drum and song filled the air. The left-most room opened into a crowded bar whereas the other one led to some form of dining chamber; the succulent aromas of various cooked meats and spices overflowing into the foyer proper. Another set of double doors was visible to the north of the towering warrior; their decor identical to the ones just entered.

Within moments Kharn was greeted, courteously, by both hostess and bouncer; the latter being a low-browed, thick-necked dwarf covered in tattoos.

"Haere mai! Welcome to the Great Oasis! What is your pleasure this fine morning?"

These were the words spoken by the dark-skinned woman before Kharn. The dwarf stood gruffly silent, his arms folded before him.
The hostess is a dark-skinned gal in her late teens to early twenties. Her hair consists of long black curly locks and her eyes are deep brown. She wears a skirt (piupiu) and feathered headband made from beaded flaxen, sandals, and a small halter-top. Her bottom lip and chin are tattooed as well. While petite of build her bone structure is thick and well pronounced. The dwarf is donned in studded leather and one arm is adorned with a spiked gauntlet and shoulder guard.
[Spot check, DC (??), Result = Success!]
The figure of an enormous man can be seen hauling his great bulk around the edges of the tavern's eastern common room, tending to guests and watching over his staff. The man stands over six feet in height and weighs well over five hundred pounds. The man's hair is thick and black, a small ponytail having been pulled tight in the back. He wears sandals and a skirt designed similar to the hostess's; his flabby chest left bare. The man's body is nearly covered with one form of tribal tattooing or another, and his ears have been pierced with thick wooden disks. Everyone the man talks to is greeted with a broad smile and, if they are not too far form a path where he can fit, a warm shake of the hands.

The obese man is currently engrossed in conversation with the towering form of what appears to be an ogre.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: So It Begins - Gronn

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:47 pm

Gronn wrote: Gronn entered the building and began asking around for the proprietor, Dennil Qannatir.
Beyond the eastern double doors lay a decorated foyer.

Many of the taverns of Seaward have their decor based on some popular topic from legend or history. The Great Oasis was one of these; styled to represent a huge watering place that legend places somewhere in the Azran Desert northeast of Saredrin. The effect was carried off quite well, if somewhat fancifully. The walls were painted with jungle scenes, and tree-shaped pillars were set between tables in the main rooms. Caged birds from the Dreaming Isles filled the air with their songs, and some had been trained to harangue the patrons with bawdy phrases and improper questions. Finally, animals from the island jungles had been stuffed and placed in corners and open spots around the floor.
In addition to the standard fare, the menu offers dishes with fruit and fowl taken from the Dreaming Isles.
Gronn made note of the two large common rooms that flanked either side of him as rhythmic sounds of drum and song filled the air. Both rooms seem to open up into some form of dining chamber; the succulent aromas of various cooked meats and spices overflowing into the foyer proper. Another set of double doors was visible to the north of the towering wizard; their decor identical to the ones just entered.

Within moments Gronn was greeted by several bouncers, each intent on knowing the ogre's business.
Gronn wrote: "Excuse me. Could you point me to Dennil Qannatir? He is the proprietor of this hostel."
Skeptic, the bouncers insisted that Gronn remain in the foyer as one of them went to fetch Master Dennil.

Several minutes later the figure of an enormous man could be seen hauling his great bulk into the foyer. The man stood over six feet in height, and weighed well over five hundred pounds. The man's hair was thick and black, a small ponytail having been pulled tight in the back. He wore sandals and a skirt made from beaded flaxen; his flabby chest left bare. The man's body was nearly covered with one form of tribal tattooing or another, and his ears had been pierced with thick wooden disks.

The obese man smiled broadly at Gronn, extending his meaty paw in greeting.

"Good day bruddah! I am Dennil Qannatir. What can I do for joo's?"
Gronn wrote:The tall ogre nodded.

"I wish to inform you of my interest in the Hawthorn Enterprises endeavor. I am Gronn and I wish to speak with Ulno Tullwater."
Dennil's eyes widened with concern at the mention of Tullwater's name; quickly resuming their cheerful appearance. He then motions you to follow him into the easternmost common room.

"Pleasure to meet you bruddah Gronn! Joo's here about the job then eh? No problem! First joo got to go up dem stairs over der. Take em to the next floor and then joo's only 3 leff's away from Tullwater! If joo opens a door or winds up in the kitchen joo's must have done sumtin wrong!"

Assuming you had thoroughly understood his directions, Dennil concluded.

"Oh ja bruddah! I almost forgot. Make sure you show them guards upstairs your invitations else they gonna bounce joo's out the door!"

With this the lummox grabbed either side of his massive stomach and shook it up and down, singing "bounce'¦bounce'¦bounce" as he resumes his socializing.
Sorry about making it one long post. I felt stupid for not assuming you would show your invite and wanted to try and get everyone up to par and in one spot.
Will pause long enough for Krill and Trogdor to catch up then post appropriately!
Last edited by Eanwulf on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Valleda
Level 2
Level 2

So It Begins - Solia

Post by Valleda » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:50 pm

One of Solia's hands reached for her coinpurse as the other gracefully removed the silken veil that seductively covered her face. Flirtatiously, one hand raised the shot glass to her dark lips as the other slid a gold piece across the bar.
"This is for the drink..."
Smiling Solia then drained the glass in a single gulp. She then slid another gold coin across the bar.
"This...this is for you."
Before the young man behind the bar could respond, Solia turned about and left as quickly as she came.
I want to head to the stairs and go on up!

Kharn
Level 2
Level 2

So It Begins - Kharn

Post by Kharn » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 pm

Kharn chortled softy at the dwarf as he remembered those he fought with in the military. What dwarves lacked in size they made up for in skill and "brass balls" when it came to a fight. Kharn had learned not to judge an enemy by size, especially when such small beings were known for bringing Giants to their knees.

"I would like to keep my calves intact today", Kharn thought..

Nodding to the dwarf out of respect, Kharn turned to speak with the dark-skinned hostess.

"Pleasure? No. I have not come for pleasure. I seek the proprietor of this establishment."

"Could that large man be he whom I seek?"
, Kharn said nodding towards the large figure talking to the ogre.