Chapter One: Worked Like A Dog

The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich in magic and wonder where great empires clash, intrepid explorers journey beyond wild frontiers, and mighty heroes brave epic dangers. It is a land where familiar and beloved races and archetypes are reaching the pinnacle of their glory and wonder. It is a vast and rich realm where newborn nations are still islands of civilization in a dark and unexplored wilderness sea. The world of Dawnforge is a land where the greatest deeds have yet to be done and epic heroes are wrought in the crucible of legend.

Run by the DM Eanwulf
jrkrimin67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: A Hidden Discovery

Post by jrkrimin67 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:43 am

Ariah's eyes widen in awe upon seeing the coins. Being the son of a simple farmer, the young lowlander has never seen so much wealth and the temptation of avarice grips his entire being for several moments before he finally returns to his senses. 'œBy the Sovereign's blood that is a lot of coin! I do pray none of it is ill-begotten.'
I like to lurk!!!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:44 am

"Best to get this all to the top level where we have the animals," Faldrin agrees. "There doesn't seem so much that we can't carry it back with us."

"But I'm curious," the ranger adds, "is there any clue back there about the mysterious vials we've found? I have to wonder if the minotaur knew anything about them."

Kharn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kharn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:46 am

Kharn pauses, lost in deep thought, for several moments before commenting. 'œMinted coins stored in matching leather bags, stacked neatly in a pile, and then hidden behind crude camouflage. Something doesn't feel right. Surely this much wealth seems a bit much even for that savage of a brute of a minotaur we encountered previously. I recommend we stay on our guard and proceed with caution.'
I have no objections to taking the money, I just want to make sure that the minotaur and bear was not some form of guardians for someone else and this money was payment for services rendered, etc.

Also, what exactly do you mean by minted coins? Are they just local currency of the realm? If so are they from various regions or all from the same one, i.e. some from Ambria, others from Zangala, etc.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:52 am

So it began. The group collected Goren and their mounts then returned to the minotaur's lair to gather their spoils...

Goren took the time to look over his current survey summaries and notations while the group divvied up their findings.
Taking the time and doing the math, there are forty-four 15-lb black leather bags, each of which containing 750 sp in each bag. This makes your total 33,000 sp or roughly 3,300 gp.

In regards to Kharn's query they seem to have been minted in Ambria, though anything further than that you fail to recollect. This happens when your unskilled Knowledge (nobility & royalty) skill checks only allow you DC 10 results.

Also in the process of moving them, you discover a brass scroll case among the leather bags!
Once all was said and done, the weary lowlander stated that it was time to make camp for the night.
I will pause here. I need new spells for the day please. Also let me know any actions you might have during the night. Otherwise I will continue on with a new post shortly. Glad we had such a speedy response time today!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:21 am

As the bags of money keep getting pulled out, Faldrin couldn't help but whistle appreciatively. "It almost looks like someone was trying to finance an army out of here," he said, half jokingly. "Or at least a small mercenary company." He paused to think for a moment.

"I suppose this area would make a serviceable barracks once it was cleaned out," He observed. "But it's so far from anywhere important that it seems unlikely."

Valleda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Valleda » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:29 am

Solia pauses long enough to wipe the sweat from her brow before replying to Faldrin.

"Now I am no expert on the matter but given the setup I would have to say we, and most likely the minotaur and his pet, stumbled upon some form of a vanquished rogue's nest. Some sort of up and coming smuggling ring perhaps? These coins are stored very much like a banker or some merchant lord would keep them."

A wry smile creeps across the rogue's face as she adds.

"Like I said though, I am no expert on the matter."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

And So A New Day Dawns

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:46 am

Lothron 29, CY 997
Limestone Caverns, Second Level.
Party Campsite.

Having gathered up and secured their spoils the party once again began their exploration of the cavern complex, this time traveling further along the southern passage.

After about 20 feet or so the passage opened up into a large gallery of a cavern with many ledges and shelves that stretched 110 feet east and west and 60 feet north and south. The arched ceiling was about 30 feet high at either end, with a middle-area dome of about double that height. Within this natural chamber existed four smaller side caverns. There were a few stalactites on the ceiling above, a few fallen to the floor amid a handful of stalagmites. Other than a muddy ground and what lay in the side caverns, nothing else in the chamber seemed remarkable.
Upon examining the side caverns, you find the tattered remains of several bedrolls as well as the smashed and splintered remains of what one would surmise to be crates, kegs, and footlockers. All of the items discovered are well-weathered and for the most part damp and rotten.
From this cavern a 20 foot wide tunnel led eastward into a long curving chamber. The place was well over 100 feet long and varied from about 20 to 40 feet in width. It had a ceiling height of from 25 feet to over 50 feet. There were many shelves and ledges along the walls, while the roof is covered with many stalactites with a scattering of stalagmites beneath.

The air within the cavern was extremely damp and wet and the roar of the mighty Torvun river could be head coming nearby to the east. This curving chamber was filled with a riot of fungus '€" mushrooms, toadstools, mosses, lichen and whatnot sprouted all around you. There were numbers of colorful rock formations here, including both stalactites and stalagmites. These competed with the ever-present fungus for the eye's attention, as both formed the most phantasmagoric series of shapes. Here a spired deposit could have been an efreet castle; there a pocked toadstool looked like some hunched monster.

A tunnel leading off to the east existed from the cavern, but much like the rest of the southern portion of the chamber, was almost entirely choked with moss, lichen, and fungus.
Will pause here as needed.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: And So A New Day Dawns

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:43 am

"An army, maybe," Faldrin said upon seeing the decaying bedrolls, "or maybe a bandit hideout." He poked at the remains of a crate with the toe of one boot. "The uniformity of the coin tends to support the former," he observed. "Though if such coin could easily have been stolen - say from a paymaster's cart - which supports the latter."

"For my part," he concludes, "I think what's most likely is that this was a bandit camp. They made a big score, and perhaps fell to infighting. In such a weakened state, all it would take then was a calamity like an angry minotaur moving in with his bear companion, and the bandits would be doomed."

"At least it makes a good story."

Tesseract
Level 2
Level 2

Treasure - Gronn

Post by Tesseract » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:18 am

Gronn examines the bronze scroll case to see what may be contained within.

jrkrimin67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: And So A New Day Dawns

Post by jrkrimin67 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:03 pm

Ariah pauses momentarily to admire his surroundings, marveling in awe at the collage of colorful rock and fungi formations. Surely such wondrous beauty as this has to be the Sovereign's creation.

The young shaper also ponders his companions' words about the cavern complex and as to what purpose it had once served. No matter the intent, it is truly a travesty that so much life had to have been lost. Finally, after several further moments of inner contemplation, Ariah comments.

'œIt would appear that we have reached the final leg of our survey my brothers and sisters. This place, though eye-catching, might have served a purpose for whatever inhabitants that once occupied these caverns. I vote we take the time to try and discern that purpose.'

Motioning towards the passage to the southeast, he continues. 'œGiven the sound and moisture, I assume that this tunnel leads to the river. Does anyone know if any of the fungus that blocks the way is poisonous in nature? Goren'¦Faldrin?'