Chapter Two: The Path of Legend

The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich The world of Dawnforge is a mythic land rich in magic and wonder where great empires clash, intrepid explorers journey beyond wild frontiers, and mighty heroes brave epic dangers. It is a land where familiar and beloved races and archetypes are reaching the pinnacle of their glory and wonder. It is a vast and rich realm where newborn nations are still islands of civilization in a dark and unexplored wilderness sea. The world of Dawnforge is a land where the greatest deeds have yet to be done and epic heroes are wrought in the crucible of legend.

Run by the DM Eanwulf
Tesseract
Level 2
Level 2

I Can Name That Tune - Gronn

Post by Tesseract » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:10 pm

Gronn ponders Faldrin's translation. "Hmmm. Is it a riddle? Notes are letters. Aren't there seven total notes? A, B, C, D, E, F, and G? Perhaps seven from the bass staff and seven from treble? That would be forteen. Then it speaks of four then three harmonies. That gives a total of twenty-one, right? Perhaps the harmonies are in the same order as notes? So that would be four harmonies from the bass staff and three from the treble?" He pauses as he thinks about this. "Perhaps the notes of the tune that is playing represent twenty-one letters? Could the tune be a message? Perhaps a secret message? Pointing to something or someplace?" The large ogre smiles at his reasoning. "Unfortunately this is the most I know about music. Is anyone else better versed in music? What little I know is because music is tied to some types of magic and I have studied many types of magic in my travels."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

A Tune's Mystery Discovered

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:30 pm

Arya's eyes widened with excitement as Faldrin managed to successfully translate the illusion's mysterious language. She then leapt about in pure elation and clapped passionately as Gronn revealed how the key's riddle might be further unraveled.

The young girl quickly seized the ogre's giant hands and began to spin him around playfully, pausing only to catch her breath as well as to hug the large wizard tightly several times before continuing on with her childish antics. Finally, after finding herself thoroughly winded, Arya ceased her behavior and paused once again to catch her breath. In between gasps of air, she commented.

'Something tells me that Gronn might be right. I do know enough about basic rhythm and tempo to agree with his summation on how the code might be broken, though I do not know enough about the elven language itself and cannot formulate any guesses as to what messages might be hidden within the tune played during the illusion.'

Arya then turned to Faldrin and inquired.

Master Faldrin, would you please be so kind as to tell me the fundamentals of your language? Perhaps when we have a better understanding of it, we can finally uncover this mystery together.'
I will assume, for gameplay, that Faldrin will be complacent to Arya's request, you can (through your ranks of Perform) decipher the first part of the riddle. The following is a breakdown as the key's code. Once I manage to get in front of a scanner, I will start posting the proper images and what not on the code as well as the first melody played. In a nutshell, the image contains 14 notes and 7 harmonies. You managed to realize that, in the elven tongue, one can easily associate basic elven letters to the notes played. In addition to the key's code, you realize that there are several additional notes and harmonies played which (through Gronn's Decipher Script and some ingenuity on your own part) reveal a hidden message.

Notes on Bass Staff '€" A, B, C, D, E, F, G
Letters '€" A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Notes on Treble Staff '€" A, B, C, D, E, F, G
Letters '€" H, I, L, M, N, O, P

Bass Harmonies '€" AB, BC, CD, DE
Letters '€" R, S, T, U

Treble Harmonies '€" AB, BC, CD
Letters '€" V, W, Z

The additional notes comprise the first (of many?) melodies played that will contain hidden messages. The first translates as follows:

E, B, E, AB, E*, A, CD, A*, D*, A, CD, A*, C*, F*, BC*, E, AB, BC, CD, A, C, BC
The * indicates a Treble note or harmony.

The message translates to:
Ebernath Math Lower Stacs

Feel free to either have Gronn post as deciphering the code, that or assume it was all a collaberative effort.

Tesseract
Level 2
Level 2

A Tune's Mystery Discovered - Gronn

Post by Tesseract » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:45 pm

Gronn pulls out an ink pen, ink, and a piece of paper. He hands them to Faldrin who writes down the basics of the musical notes as well as the elven alphabet and finally he scribes the tune as he heard the key play it.

Then Gronn goes to work on deciphering the code. "Let's see! Bass staff first. So I believe that the notes translate to the first seven letters like this. Next comes the treble staff, so the seven notes translate to the next seven letters like this. Then comes the bass harmonies and then the treble harmonies for the next seven." He gets excited and starts translating the message immediately:

Letters '€" H, I, J, K, L, M, N

Letters '€" O, P, Q, R

Letters '€" S, T, U

Not used - V, W, X, Y, Z

E,B,E,AB,E*,A,CD,A*,D*,A,CD,A*,C*,F*,BC*,E,AB,BC,CD,A,C,BC

EBEOLAQHKAQHJMTEOPQACP
Gronn shows the result to the others. Faldrin shakes his head. 'œHmmm. Perhaps we need to remove different letters. I'll take out the J and Q.' He gets excited once more and starts translating the message again:

Letters '€" H, I, K, L, M, N, O

Letters '€" P, R, S, T

Letters '€" U, V, W

Not used - J, Q, X, Y, Z

EBEPMASHLASHKNVEPRSACR
Gronn shows the result to the others. Faldrin shakes his head again. 'œHmmm. Perhaps we need to remove more. I'll take out the K and add in the Y or Z instead of the X.' He starts translating the message again:

Letters '€" H, I, L, M, N, O, P

Letters '€" R, S, T, U

Letters '€" V, W, Y or Z

Not used '€" K, J, Q, X

EBERNATHMATHLOWERSTACS
Gronn shows the result to the others. Faldrin nods his head this time. He adds slashes to the translation.
EBERNATH/MATH/LOWER/STACS or Ebernath Math Lower Stacs
"I am still not sure about the last treble harmony. It is either Y or Z. Perhaps another message will solidify the translation. So we must go to Ebernath. What could the "Math Lower Stacs" represent? Arya? Any ideas?"

jrkrimin67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: A Tune's Mystery Discovered

Post by jrkrimin67 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:17 pm

The sound of Alexei's hums fills the room as the party attempts their translation of the song. The large trueborn finds the elven words to be very entertaining and he tries his best to commit the tune to memory. When he is able to, Alexei inquires the following.

'œYou must teach me more of your language Master Faldrin. I find your tongue to be both alluring and exotic and I would enjoy nothing more than to try and make it my own.'

Alexei does his best to assist his companions with their efforts to unravel the mystery of the song's riddle. For the most part however, the disciple soon finds that his role is best served as providing morale support and positive reinforcement during their endeavors.

Kharn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kharn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Though Kharn shows great interest in discovering the secret contained within the song's riddle, the minotaur proves to be quite ignorant in his attempts and sadly provides little assistance to his companions. Realizing that he is clearly out of his field of expertise, the warrior instead opts to focus on making sure that the party's room is secure and free from prying eyes and ears.
Make sure that the illusion's sounds and images haven't caught the attention of any of our '˜neighbors'. Listen to the door for a bit and then walk outside to stretch my legs, listening and looking for signs of anyone snooping.

Valleda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Valleda » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:23 pm

From the frown that is apparent on Solia's face, she is obviously NOT in the mood to spend what time remains of the evening trying to decipher the key's riddle.

Nevertheless Solia does her best to show, if not feign support to her companions.

After nodding off for the umpteenth time, Solia pouts quietly and starts looking for a place to lie down or lean back and catch some much needed rest.

'œFar be it from me to disturb our experts but it appears that Kharn has volunteered for the first watch. If no one objects, I am going to rest up a bit before relieving him. By all means my friends continue on with your endeavors.'

Barring any objections, Solia then leans her back against the wall and closes her eyes. Before long, the sounds of her snoring echo throughout the room.
Sorry I have been so quiet, but I have been battling my stupid Home Owner's Insurance people these past weeks over damage caused to my place from a storm that took place last month. Luckily (for their sakes) my efforts have not been in vain!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

In Response to Gronn

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Ebernath Math Lower Stacs
Arya pondered the illusion's message carefully before finally replying.
What would normally be a Knowledge (geography) DC 10 skill check winds up being a Knowledge (local) DC 12 for Arya SINCE she hails from Ebernath.

[Arya's Knowledge (local) skill check, DC 12, d20 + 7 = 25, Success!]
'I do believe that a College of Mathematicians exists in Ebernath, though I do not know what exactly the reference to the '˜Lower Stacs' might be. Perhaps it has something to do with some form of basement or reliquary found within the college.'

The young girl's face was filled with obvious delight and bewilderment as she pondered the thought of discovering the secret of her dead father's heirloom.

Solia's snores quickly brought Arya back to reality as she realized that the hour was indeed very late and that dawn was but a few hours away. Thoroughly exhausted, Arya commented.

'I think that this is enough work for one night my dearest friends. Perhaps it would be best if we were to retire to our rooms and get some much needed rest. If we wish to discuss our travel arrangements in the morning, that would be fine with me. I can not thank you enough for your help this evening and hope that this will be the start of a wonderful new friendship.'
Arya will stay up further if needed, but otherwise seems to be interested in going to bed. Feel free to discuss your next course of action and feel free to get a full 8 hours of rest. You deserve it! Besides, Ogwald has already paid for your rooms and I'm sure that they wouldn't mind if you overstayed your welcome just a little bit in order to '˜sleep off' the previous night's affairs.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Treading Upon the Path

Post by Eanwulf » Sat May 17, 2008 12:21 am

Ivanneth 26, CY 997, Godsday
Realm of Ambria, City of Saranor
Within the Inn of Nine Mirrors

I am trying something new (for myself) and will start writing in the present tense from now on. Please bear with me on any grammatical errors that I might make, as old habits die hard!
Heeding Arya's advice and Solia's example, your weary band of adventurers finally retires for the evening. Your very beings ache and long for sleep - sleep that comes nearly the very second that you lay you head upon the pillow.

It is nearly midday by the time everyone has awoken and, if not for master Faldrin's herbal remedies, each of you would have surely suffered from a severe hangover. The young girl Arya seems very eager to begin with your newfound quest and inquires relentlessly about the group's next move. Once everyone has had time to properly freshen up, they meet downstairs for a late brunch.
I have received various inquiries from players asking if it would be cheaper to purchase passage on a ship or to use their relative sea-faring skills to hire themselves on to earn their passage. As a result I will paraphrase their intentions into the current post. In a nutshell you must travel from Saranor down the Netheryn River to Stormhaven. From there you can book passage to Ebernath.
As your group enjoys their meal, they discuss their next course of action. Alexei quickly devours his meal and states that he will head towards the docks and inquire if there are any vessels headed towards the city of Stormhaven. He also advises that someone(s) from the group needs to inform Jin Hawthorn and/or her assistants (Ulno, etc.) of their intention to leave the Festival early in order to aid Arya in her quest.

During the meal Kharn and Solia suggests that the group might try to find a ship or caravan in need of help and hire themselves out in an attempt of helping to reduce the burden of paying for the overall journey. They state their intentions of seeking out such passage after first enjoying a hearty breakfast.
I will allow a brief pause for Faldrin and Gronn to catch up to par before continuing on with any of the inquiries' results.

Tesseract
Level 2
Level 2

Two if by Sea - Gronn

Post by Tesseract » Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Gronn suggests that it would be quicker by ship. He eats a good breakfast and makes sure to grab something for Chitter. Then he returns to his room to gather his belongings and companion. Then he heads to the docks to see what he can find out about a possible ship.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Two if by Sea

Post by Eanwulf » Fri May 23, 2008 11:34 pm

Ivanneth 26, CY 997, Godsday
Realm of Ambria, City of Saranor
In Their Rooms Back at Hawthorn Manor

After the group finishes their meal, they gather up their belongings and heads towards the docks where, after spending a couple of hours of inquiring, they manage to discern the following.

First and foremost is that there are several boats leaving Saranor at various times throughout the day; each rate of passage being just about the same in price: 1 silver piece per mile traveled for each passenger.
I will assume that if you take this route that the total cost of roughly 35 gp would consume each of your respective takes from the items fenced by Solia.
Next is that Kharn and Solia successfully manages to find a river captain in need of crew and guards and is willing to offer the band of heroes 1 sp per day each for their services, payment payable upon arrival in Stormhaven. The river captain is a lowlander woman named Giselle Lundree and seems to be of worthy repute. This passage, however, will wind up delaying the group's departure from Saranor by a day or two at most.

Satisfied with their findings, the group promptly returns to Hawthorn Manor where they need only inform their host of their intentions to leave the Festival prematurely.
I leave it up to you all to choose an appropriate means of travel as well as what to say to Lady Hawthorn and/or her assistants.