Chapter 1: Into the Shadowlands

The "War Against the Shadow" is set to begin. The Emperor, Toturi I, is missing and the Scorpion have been convicted and sent into exile. Peace is threatened across the Empire as the Lying Darkness begins to creep into the hearts and souls of men.

Run by the GM Tet'Nak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Hida Yakamo-dono

Post by TetNak » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:19 pm

The nezumi looks at Nakastume. "Here is where you entered underground. Careful, careful! Shadowlands army not far off, must make way to wall quickly!"

The Crab-dono nods, "Come. We shall make our way swiftly." He looks at the natural hand holds that heads to the top, which is covered with some sort a cloth camouflage. He turns to the scout and nods. "If you would be so kind," he says, indicating Jubei should go first.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:36 am

Suru silently glances at the ceiling of the tunnel. These nat-sumin are truely remarkable tunnelers. Perhaps I shall study their kind more thoroughly when I return to the civilized lands of Rokugan. He watches the others. Waiting for his chance to break free of the boundries of the earth. He expects trouble but hopes that his charge will be in no danger.
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:35 am

Nakasume nods to the ratling, he squeeks back to him, "Tik-nuk ch'tchit." He bows as if bowing to a host of an estate. "Domo Arigato Nezumi-san" He removes a scroll from his satchel, holding the jade writen paper ready to strike. "When we arrived Hida-dono, we were chased by an army, and they may know of this location. We best be careful." He nods he is ready and climbs the tunnel when it is his turn.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Toptomcat
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Toptomcat » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 pm

"Certainly, Yakomo-dono. I suggest that you wait here until I give all-clear."
Drawing the small bow from his back and nocking an arrow to it, the Hiruma steals out of the tunnel.
(Agility 2, Stealth 3, Sneaking Emphasis.)

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:15 am

Suru awaits patiently as the rest of the travelling band begins funneling up through the gap in the earth. He is anxious but does his best not to let it show. When Nakasume begins his accent the monk is close behind. Mumbling quietly to himself as the shugenja breaks loose small clumps of dirt that softly pelt him with each step.
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Toptomcat
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Toptomcat » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:55 am

On the ascent, the Hiruma puts out a hand and stops briefly, blocking the monk's progress.
"By which I mean I suggest you all wait until I give the all-clear. Unless you think you are as adept at stealth as the Hiruma, Dragon-san?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:09 am

Jubei peeks up out of the hole and into the night's sky. Jubei smells the foul stench of bakemono and other creatures of the Shadowlands. The Hiruma scout does not actually see anything, however.

The stars and the moon in the sky are slightly obscured by a stream of thick clouds above, making the night even darker than normal. Jubei does know this area, looking at the patterns of foliage and the river that he spots nearly one-hundred feet away. The hole is on the eastern side of the river, crossing underneath it at its most shallow point.

The decision must be made to press on in the night or wait until the morning. The nezumi stands below, waiting ...
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Toptomcat
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Toptomcat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Jubei silently signals for his companions to come out of the tunnel.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:03 pm

Nakastume waits for the Hiruma to do his duty, and when signaled he climbs the slope to exit the hole. He remains silent, and crouches slightly so not to stand out in the night. He scans the horizon himself looking and listening for dangers. His voice is a whisper and even that seems loud to him here in this broken and barren landscape of the Shadowlands. "Night brings on too many dangers in the Shadowlands. We should spend it in the Nezumi tunnels, and risk travel during the day." He looks to the others for confirmation, but really only listens to what the Crab Champion and Thunderer has to say.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Toptomcat
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Toptomcat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:10 pm

Jubei ducks back into the tunnel before he is willing to discuss anything.
"It is my opinion that with my expertise combining with the Kuni's, we would be able to make progress with an acceptable but significantly elevated degree of risk. How much of a hurry are you in to get to the Wall, Yakomo-dono?"