Chapter 1 - Black Stones and Walkin' Dead

What if Daniel howling Coyote lived 100 years earlier? Magic has awoken in the wild west, and justice is dealt out at the point of a gun and the flip of a card.

Run by the GM Bitom
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Chapter 1 - Black Stones and Walkin' Dead

Post by Bitom » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:42 am

Another day has passed since the two brothers home was destroyed by shadow spirits. In that day, the brothers have learned much about their enemy. They now know his name, and that he is a white magician who has dealings with an evil ghost which gives him power. They know that he travels with a large group of risen dead whom he has brought with him from the many towns he has destroyed. They know also the nature of his new servant, a twisted spirit of the dead, trapped within their own shadow.

It was this spirit that attacked their camp, and presumably killed everyone inside. If Wandering Lynx is to be believed (And who would doubt the elder who participated in the great ghost dance?) then all of those people are now trapped in their own shadows as well.

Arrangements have been made, and the white and black man will be riding borrowed Lakota horses, for which they have brought saddles. Listening Raven brings with her a small quiver of eight arrows for Speaks with Ravens. These, she says, may help against the dead that they face.

Shortly after sunrise, and with directions to Kane's last known campsite, the foursome set out with orders from two nations to kill this Russel Kane.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 1 - Black Stones and Walkin' Dead

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:09 pm

Wanasa, as his people know him, is home in an instant the day before. The uncomfrtable feeling of being teleported a second time in one day fades. The night is spent in a inepe, a sweat lodge, which Hunts calls for. The small domed wikup is covered in furs, and hot rocks a brought in and water poured on them to create steam like a sauna. Forced to sit bowed over by the short 'tents' height the Lakota purifies himself calling on the Great Spirit to guide him tomorrow and in the comming fights against Russel Kane and the Black Spirits. He invites his brother to join him, and will sing and pray for four long rounds in the lodge spending several hours ritually cleaning himself and prepairing. In the morning he is ready, dressed, and packed. He stands before his calio horse, a hand in white paint made from nearby clays. He dips his hand into the paint and presses it against the neck of his horse chanting in the language of his people. It is a war path song, a simple song with few words, but plenty of vocals. Those that know his langauge recongize the call for victory. He paints several desgins on the horse's hide, wavy lines, tracks, and weapon shapes. He finishes by drawing you veritcal lines from his eyes down his face, "Tears for my fallen family" he explains if anyone asks. Then wiping his hand he swings up onto the bareback of the horse whispering in its ear. "We are ready." He reaches back and grabs up the spear that is planted in the ground behind him. The long poll is covered in red tradecloth, and dripping with eagle feathers awarded in honor to various warriors of the tribe. He lifts up the flag, and with it grabs the reigns of the pack horse he has from the other day, both other horses at the ready taken from his village, while he waits on his brother to do his own thing before trotting off leading the way as the scout and tracker best suited to lead. "Come."
I can't believe how hard it is to find a picture for this. Close:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 1090tBHtXd
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:09 pm

Lucas sits awkwardly on his horse, it being rather clear that the man is hardly proficient at riding at all. While the injuns guide him through the rugged terrain he just follows along looking to the sky every now and then. Eventually a raven can be seen following the group and it alights on Lucas's head making a rather humorous scene. "Hello there Bird, I was curious whether you would be joining us."

The Raven croaks in response and rattles off a seemingly random line, "Once meek, and in a perilous path,
The just man kept his course along
The vale of death" Jumping from Lucas's head the bird swoops off into the air to circle above the wandering group.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:09 am

Raven joins his brother in the sweat lodge. The task ahead of them will no doubt be trying, both in body and spirit. Physically they are as ready as they will ever be; a night in the sweat lodge will ready them spiritually.

Raven is ready to travel about a half-hour after the sun rises - dawn itself being a holy time at which he again renews his connection with the spirits of the land. He meets the others riding a jet black horse, his few travelling needs fastened in a small pack in the animal's haunch. The horse is unpainted, but has feathers and beads braided into its mane. Raven rides it with a casual elegance, the animal almost seeming to know his intentions before he does.

When he sees the raven alight on Lucas's head, he raises an eyebrow and considers the preacher anew. "You are friends with Raven," he says. "That is good." He nods his approval.

The shaman knows that the white magicians have a different way of bonding with animals, one not entirely natural. But still, it was a good sign that this man had chosen a raven to bond with, and an even better sign that the raven had agreed.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:18 am

Lucas laughs at the Indians comment, "Friend is probably not the right word. I would say the bird helps to keep me honest. But he isn't your usual raven. Bird is special, and to be honest not in a pleasant way." Looking up into the sky he watches the black bird circle above them. "Truth be told I'd probably kill him if I didn't think he'd drag my soul down to hell in his beak."

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:23 am

The bird, circling high above, seems to hear the conversation and calls down:

"And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 am

"He is a messenger from the spirits," Raven says, working to fit the situation into a framework he understands. "Raven is often called to that function." He pauses. "It was Raven who helped me find my calling. That was how I got my name."

Strange as it was, this seemed to give him and the - he couldn't very well call him a 'white man,' though he came from the white man's world. Preacher would work. It gave him and the preacher some common ground.

"Raven is also a trickster," he offers. "And all who deal with trickster eventually want to kill him. It's part of his nature." He smiles at Lucas - the first sign of any approval he has yet given. "He survives by being just useful enough, or just dangerous enough, to stave off retaliation." The shaman nods. "And yes, it would be dangerous to try and kill him."

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:21 am

William Bridger is the last of the party to be ready to depart, having trouble fastening his saddle onto the unfamiliar horse.

When the saddle is finally attached, he slids his rather nice looking rifle into a sling that attached to the saddle horn. Pistols remain where the are and the rest of his gear is fastened in a manner very similarly to Raven's.

"How far do we go until we reach the last known campsite?"

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:24 pm

There is one more member of the party, a young warrior named Two Dogs. He was the last person to see Kane, and it is his trail that you'll be following as far as Kane's camp. After this, Two Dogs will be turning back and returning here to his family. He's been attacked by the black spirits once before and survived by luck and the work of his shaman.

"About half the day till we reach my camp. Perhaps an hour more to reach his." That said, he urges his horse forward. Before long, the Raven comes down to rest on Lucas shoulder, not wasting its energy on flying when there's a man to be ridden. It doesn't choose to add anything to the conversation.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 am

The Marshal nods his head in response to the words of Two Dogs.

He then tries to get as comfortable as he can on his horse as he looks around and tries to figure out where they are in relation to Denver.

"Just about how far away from Denver are we now?"