Kar's Prelude

A game set in the early years of the Republic, at the beginning of the Great Galactic Civil War. With armed conflict approaching, the masters of the Jedi Order have begun their own silent, War of the Force.

Poll: Are you Karl?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 5

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Kar's Prelude

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Coronet, 'œThe Jewel of Corellia,' has advanced and prospered along with the other core worlds of the newly formed republic and in the last few hundred years managed to recover from the dark rule of its former masters, the Kakata. With its large bustling spaceport, second to none in the galaxy, the city has come to be home to ship builders and galactic vacationers alike. But as with all pristine and bustling communities thought the galaxy, Coronet has a darker underbelly, exposed only to those who are forced to live in its shadows.

The streets of the Row are crowded as always and work to bring in the bustling business of the Blue Sector, a stench of stale sweat and warped plasti-steal working into every breath. Here is where the brave come to explore, the rich come to trade, and the lucky come to work their skills on the unsuspecting. Standing outside the New Haven Cantina a lone figure of the young Karl waits as he watches the street for his next mark.
Please post your description and setup for your character along with establishing his general mannerisms. A large part of the prelude is for me as a story teller to get to know your character and understand how you intend to play him, so that when the time comes to put you with the other characters in the game their aren't allot of hiccups and breakdowns. Also if you have a picture selected at this point go ahead and add it into your post.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Kar's Prelude

Post by Bitom » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Karl lest a smile cross his face and makes sure that the pockets on his work pants are all unbuttoned. This run is always the most dangerous, but profitble. It'll be a few more minutes before Lon and Kad get here. Neither one can lift worth a damn, but they're bigger than Karl, and so they give him a good excuse to run. The patrons believe that he's really in danger and look out for why insted of keeping their hands on their valuables. Lon and Kad look like good reasons to run, and so they believe and sometimes even help Karl escape with their stuff. The only problem with this gig is that he has to split the take with the two thugs and make them look good. No matter... there they are.

"Hey! There he is!" It's Lon that yells it this time, and that's good. Kad can't even pretend well. Both go tearing after Karl and the skinny youth rabbits into the cantina with them in 'hot' pursuit. Plenty of opportunity to bump into people on the way to the back door.

Karl goes to work.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 pm

The scam is an old practiced routine and even those patrons who have seen it take place before have come to accept it as nothing more than a couple of inner city bullies taking advantage of the significantly smaller kid. The only trick is to be sure and not lift from the same mark twice, perhaps with luck this will continue to pay off until Karl is old enough to make it on his own. But, until then, Karl is forced to work with his less talented, and significantly more thuggish, counterparts.

Running off into the more upscale crowds of the New Haven Cantina, Karl ducks and weaves his way past one mark, and then another. A certain level of trust has developed between Karl and his baser instincts as he always manages to be guided, as if by chance alone, to the best scores. This time is no exception, and with the help of Lon and Kad, Karl fills his pockets and then escapes out a back door, leaving the other two to wonder around pretending to look for him.
Slight of Hand(9) + Roll(15) + Force(5) + Cooperation(4) '€" Resisted(8)= Formidable(25)

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:29 am

Karl pulls up in the predetermined meeting place, an ally a few blocks down and quickly stows all the raw credits hs nabbed in an inside pocket. He's got a reputation for not ever taking the "easy stuff" which is fueled by his keeping it all and never giving a share back to the boss. What is attributed to arrogance is really simple greed, but he still lifts enough to not get beaten... most days. When the other two arrive, he's dividing the shares of the rest.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:28 am

The collected prizes of other persons pockets at first appeared to be the normal mundane assortment of countless prior adventures into others lives. Credits numbered a fare count and allowed Karl to add 150 credits to his meager bank account, and these he quickly slips into his pockets before the others arrive. The other items included a couple chronometers, a secured COM link, and various pieces of what the gaudy rich of the section pass as jewelry. It is when it comes to the hold out blaster, which Karl had mistaken for a glow rod, that things slow down and the young thief comes to a sinking conclusion that this venture into the cantina may have gone far worse than he expected. For, either the item in the young thief's hands is in deed a strangely designed blaster, or, the fabled weapon of a Jedi Knight.

Lon and Kad appear around the corner and walk towards Karl, a grin on their face after they appear to have enjoyed their part in the deception and are now waiting to see what benefits they are able to reap from the smaller thief. It has never been fully discussed how far they are expected to play their roll if they managed to catch Karl and perhaps for the sake of supporting the alliance such things should never be discussed. Their curiosity is clearly larger than their collective intelligence as they approach and ask, 'œOhh looky there, Karl got a new toy.' 'œHay man what you find this time? It better be worth something.'

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:34 am

"You know what, guys?" Karl says, holding the thing with rest of the take spread out on the ground in front of him. "I don't know what the hell it is. I thought it was just a glow rod, so we could go check out some warehouses and basements after, but it doesn't look right. You think it's a blaster of some kind? It's only got a button and a switch on it." He points what is clearly the business end of the thing at the far wall and presses the button.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:06 am

It takes a brief moment to realize the switch is a safety catch and then the button is pressed again. Half expecting anything, the three young thief's still jump; there is a snap, and then a hum, as the glowing pale green blade of a lightsaber springs to life. Lon stares at the glowing blade, 'œOhh that is so mine.'

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Karl lets go of the safety catch and watches the saber vanish, then looks at lon. "My ass it is. I pick my share, just like always. I stick my neck out on these runs. You're there with no chance of getting caught. This here is the best set of lockpicks on Corellia." He pushes the share of valuables that was to be his toward the other two. "Split that all up and lets get out of here before the Jedi I must have lifted it from figures out what happened."

Funny... nobody was wearing one of those brown Jedi robes.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:49 pm

It's clear the other two are ready to argue but at the mention of a possible Jedi coming looking for the thing. Lon states gruffly, 'œyea, well you keep that damned thing; I don't want that kind of trouble.' With that decided, Kad scoops up the other items of value, eyeing especially the encrypted com-link, and the three of you head quickly out of the area.

The walk back to the quick-trans is short and uneventful, with other thief's and thugs having the common courtesy to not pester the three fellows. Sitting in the back of a quick-trans shuttle Karl has time to reflect over the patrons in the cantina, while Kad and Lon calmly argue about who gets what of the other items of value. The event had started as any other, Karl ran into the cantina, the brute squad close behind him. No, no one in the room stood out as a Jedi, it's not a sight you look for on purpose but everyone knows better than to try and do any business when a Jedi could be in the room. The marks, their were two small groups Karl had singled out of the crowed. Easy prey, each group had given Karl only a passing glance before looking intently at his pursuers, one man even pushed Karl out of the way when the two were getting too close.

Him, he was the one the lightsaber had come from. It had been tucked inside a pocket, and when he pushed Karl out of the way the pocket came close enough Karl could look inside and choose what to take before moving on. An easy mark.
Very nearly six foot tall with a moderately strong build. He was ill shaven and his hair was a tangled mess of what likely started as a close cropped hair cut. He didn't really look Corellian, perhaps a spacer or traveler. He wore black duro-mesh pants and a heavy weight shirt. He wore a cloak, but it was not anything close to a Jedi robe, just a dark green all weather cloak, the kind of thing allot of spacers wore to cover up their assorted weapons. As for weapons he was armed with what was either a heavy blaster pistol or perhaps small blaster rifle, which he kept strapped low to his leg and far out of the reach of Karl's nimble fingers.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:17 pm

Karl thinks it over and decides not to worry about it. The guy was probably a merc or something. And if he was a jedi, he's under cover and won't go hunting down a kid, right?

"Hey, guys... we gotta do a stop. I gave you guys almost all of the take, and I'm gonna need something to give the boss, or I'm taking a whuppin. Lets do that grocery down the block. It's closed this late, and the food's been pretty crappy lately, anyway."