Chapter 24: Elgin Arrival

What if you woke up in the morning and realized that the world was coming to an end? What if you were a little slow on the uptake and it passed you by?

A D20 modern game set after the end of the world.
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Chapter 24: Elgin Arrival

Post by Bitom » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:29 pm

The small group spends another day in Columbus, collecting gear. a Delivery van is found, as are several jerry Cans. After a number of false starts, the group is able to convert a boat baler into hand-operated gas pump and fill both tanks on the van, as well as all the cans. Doing this takes most of another day, as most of the gas stations turn out to be tapped dry.

It doesn't take long to realize that Columbus isn't the only place where almost everyone as died. If the bodies everywhere weren't enough, there are the dreams. they aren't the same every night, but they all end the same; a booming voice declares why you have been left behind, then follows it up with "I forsake you." The dream comes every night without fail. There are also signs of survivors milling about. Painted signs ask about survivors. Some show that people are headed to major cities, like you are.

Cincinnati turns out to be a bad place to be. Approaching the city, there are signs warning people away. "Brotherhood kills all." is the first one, but closer in, there is a long explanation that The Brotherhood is the remains of a biker gang that has taken over the city, destroying everything they can get their hands on and don't decide to use. the group wisely decides not to continue into the city.

A weeks is spent wandering, gathering supplies where you can and learning how to survive in this new world. In this time, you notice some odd things:

Animals seem to be more aggressive than they used to be, particularly predatory ones. Several bullets have to be spent fending off a pack of Coyotes that Clifford knows would not have normally attacked a group of people around a fire.

The Hand of God is still present. You stand by and watch a cloud of it flow through a valley town and hear the screams of someone who didn't see it coming.

The streets are seriously degraded, and in some places, you have to pull out your maps and find another way to get to where you're headed. They seem to be worse off than the earthquakes can account for. Maybe they were worse out out.

Three weeks have passed, and you've slowly worked your way west. Approaching Chicago, you begin to see another form of signs. People are gathering together in a town named Elgin, not far away.
3 weeks have passed, Sky is healed up, but everyone is starting to feel the isolation:

Ennui gains for 3 weeks outside of a colony:

Clifford: Bitom@IRC rolls 3d4 and the dice show: 3 3 3 = 9
David: Bitom@IRC rolls 3d4 and the dice show: 2 2 4 = 8
Sky: Bitom@IRC rolls 3d4 and the dice show: 4 3 3 = 10

Sheets updated. You're about a days travel outside of Elgin, according to your maps. You've replaced all expended supplies, but not increased them.
Last edited by Bitom on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Chapter 24: Elgin

Post by TetNak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 pm

David mumbles to himself as he drives the van. "Chicago used to kick ass," he says, more to himself than anyone else. Over the last few weeks he hasn't touched any drugs. He's been much more alert and prepared. The run in with their attacker must have scared him straight.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Sky had been trying to get some rest despite the rocking and jolting of the van, but wakes up as David mutters something.
"Huh? Whad'ya say?", she asks sleepily, brushing a strand of hair out of her face.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:40 pm

"Nothing," David says, "Have a nice nap?" he asks, knowing she probably didn't. David never sleeps well either, knowing he's going to have the same dream over and over again.

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Sky just shakes her head, not even bothering to pretend she did. The nights haven't been very restful, quite often she's been lying awake, wanting to fall asleep, but afraid of the dream.

The woman rubs her eyes and peers out of the windows, searching for some clues to their whereabouts.

"What do you think, how far's that Elgin still away?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 pm

"An hour, or so, I think." David shrugs, "Maybe a little bit longer, having to drive slow, lots of massive pot holes and such." He jerks a thumb backward, "Had to take a detour about an hour ago even..."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:10 pm

Clifford stretches in the passenger seat. His back has been bothering him, and combined with the dreams, he's not feeling all that well. He gazes out the window before turning to Sky. "You want to move up here? I need to walk for a bit, then maybe David can nap for a bit. I think we'll all need to be alert in Elgin. I don't expect violence, but you never know."
He indicates that David should stop for a minute while they switch seats.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:07 pm

"Yeah, sure. ", Sky agrees without much enthusiasm.
"You never know, right.. " She shrugs "But there's gotta be some nice people left somewhere, yeah? "

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:35 pm

"I hope you're right, Sky. You sleep too, you look like you could use it. I'll wake you both before we actually get to the towm." Clifford winces as his back pinches again, at least he won't fall asleep at the wheel, not that there's any traffic to hit.
He smiles weakly, "I don't know how I would have stayed sane without you two," he barks a laugh, "If we're still sane that is."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Sky waves a hand dismissively.
"Naw, it's okay, really, I just get more tired if I try to sleep here. And it's only like an hour to go, yeah? "
She smiles, not really sure what to reply to the last things Clifford said.
"World's been going mad for some time...", she finally says.