Michaels prelude: Communion

What if you woke up in the morning and realized that the world was coming to an end? What if you were a little slow on the uptake and it passed you by?

A D20 modern game set after the end of the world.
EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Day 7

Post by EvilMonkey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 pm

"Look man, I'm not too keen on believing it either, it would mean I've been wrong since I was a teenager, but when the shoe fits, y'know. where there's smoke there's gonna be fire or at least some embers and thats an awful lotta smoke to just wave off as coincidence." He closes the bible and puts it back in his coat. "I'll go with you to the CDC, but I'm not getting rid of Jonah so we'll be taking it a bit slow and would you mind taking the kid in your car, there's only so much a horse can carry y'know. Pus it's really uncomfortable riding with two in a saddle built for one."
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Steve doesn't even bother to get into the argument with the stranger only looks at the boy and then at the man with his horse... "What, like five miles an hour behind a horse? its not a parade, I'm sorry but we have to get somewhere other than the middle of no where. It would take more than a month walking behind that thing, and with the car practically idled the gas is going to be burned up without getting us anywhere."

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 pm

"Well either way, we're gonna need a bigger car there buddy. Three people plus equipment would be a hell of a tight fit. Lets search around some cities for a Humvee, I'm sure the army left a few lying around and considering where we are, we could probably find a horse trailer. I've had this horse for almost ten years, I ain't getting rid of him now. He's smarter than a car, and a hell of a lot more versatile."
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Steven looks less than convinced, "Your horse? your ten year old horse, is worth risking your life over just so you can keep your family pet... whatever." Looking back down to the road, "Their was a military base several miles back along the highway, had a bunch of vehicles near the road... don't know if any of them run, or even how to drive one of those damned things... not to mention last I heard from green peace HMMWV's were not exactly fuel efficient."

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Michael lets out a large sigh. "Well look at it this way, this horse has pulled me out of more trouble than I care to get into, it's why he's called Jonah. He's also the last living tether I have to my family." He looks at the horse standing off to the side grazing on the grass "My father taught me a lot about survival and I know that a horse can go places a vehicle can't and carry equipment while doing it, and it's quiet whcih is great for scouting and hunting. And with him the food is all around, I don't hae to rely on gas."

"As for the fuel efficiency of a humvee, who the hell else is gonna be using the gas exactly? I don't know if you noticed or not but there ain't a whole lotta people left. Plus the things are tough, have great offroad capability which is gonna help because the roads are rather cluttered and beat up as you may have noticed. and if you can't drive it, I can things aint much different than any other heavy truck, and I drove a lot of them back on the ranch, not to mention tractors and Jonah here."

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Mikey, obviously, has no opinion. And even if he did, he wouldn't speak it. He mostly hides from the new guy.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:38 am

Steve just rolls his eyes at the words coming out of Michael, "Ok, fine... We find you a bigger truck to drag the horse around. I haven't seen anything since the military base and thats going to be a couple days back if were walking, so .... you know where to get a truck for the horse?"

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Kansas City

Post by Bitom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:56 am

Railroading you a bit
The pair work things out eventually and head into Kansas city. It takes a couple of days, but they eventually find a suitable truck and trailer. Steve does not like the delay, but Kansas city proves to be a treasure trove of supplies. For some reason, people here stocked up heavily.

As they search, they sometimes hear signs of civilization... of a sort. They heard a car alarm go off once or twice. Gunshots another time, and once, they heard shouting, but they don't manage to locate the people. Kansas city is very large.

As they search, it becomes obvious that little Mikey is very, very ill. His wound swells terribly and oozes colors that should not be seen coming from a human body. The hospital they find has all the medicine they can shake a stick at, but no doctor.

3 days from their meeting, Mikey seems near death, and neither man has had any good idea what to do. Getting into the police car and rushing for Atlanta where there might be a doctor was discussed, but it doesn't look like Mikey will live that long.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Kansas City

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:03 am

As much of a hard ass as Steve may seem, he does seem to show anger and frustration in line with someone who honestly cares for the health and welfare of the child. Ransacking the hospital's medicine for anything that he thinks could help, and eventually flooring the car and flying down the road in the hopes of beating the clock to the CDC. "Someone there has to know whats going on, they have to know how to make him better... hold on kid, we'll get you there."

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Kansas City

Post by EvilMonkey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:09 am

All aboard! *choo choo*
Michael doesn't know what to do, he's at a complete loss and he starts to become very withdrawn and overly protective of the small child. Forgoing sleep to care for the child he rescued days ago. He doesn't know why, all he knows is that he can't just let this kid die. Maybe it's because they share a name, or maybe just a situation, both orphaned and seemingly alone. He floors his new truck's accelerator whilst trying to comfort the ill and quite possibly dying child, a cold rag was put on his head before they left not knowing what else he can do. He call's out to Steven from the CB. "Any ideas? because I gotta tell ya man, I got nothin here."
We cross posted after bitom's post. If you are driving the cop car then I'm driving the truck and trailer and have edited the post accordingly.
Last edited by EvilMonkey on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.