Chapter 1: The Khan's Defiance

Toturi III is dead. The Empire is left without an Emperor. Toturi's wife, Toturi Kurako, rules as the Empress until her husband's written wishes can be found and acted upon.

With the Emperor dead, others seek to gain power. One such man is the Khan of the Unicorn Clan, Moto Chagatai, who currently lays siege to the Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho.

Run by the GM TetNak
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Audience With An Empress

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Matsu Akira is a dishonored Deathseeker, and here he is beign called forward in the court of the Empress. He is a failure, he can't even die with honor and continues to survive battles even after failing to defeat his enemies. He steps out from behind Koshiro, the man is grim and somber. He stands next to Tadao, but does not bow to his knees like the Kitsu does. Stepping forward goes not mean goveling at the feet of his general. As a Lion he is proud and strong, and even as shamed as he is, he keeps some dignity to him.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Not sure where akarmicanomaly is. I'm going to try to post around him as best I can
"Rise," Matsu Shingen says. "These men fought bravely. They turned the tide of battle. They aided our vastly smaller, yet stronger, force in winning the battle!" A cheer goes up from some, mostly the Lion in attendance.

There is a pause from the general, who looks to Matsu Yoshino, who in turn gives the general a simple nod. "Matsu Akira, step forward!"
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Akira standing there is proud to hear the other Lions cheer at the mention of the victory. What a story this will make, someday perhaps he shall be able to retell it. Someday never comes for a Deathseeker, don't be foolish Akira. He is standing tall and proud and then his name is called. He steps forward instantly, no hesitation. "Hai!" He shouts to show he has heard his commander, and follows his orders without question. Bowing his head he keeps his eyes from falling on those on the dias at the front of the room. His life is forfeit if Shingen wants it, and the punishment for his failure to capture the banner certainly is at hand.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:29 pm

Matsu Shingen speaks as Akira advances, "The Daughter of Heaven wishes to speak." There is a slight pause, and then a different voice calls out. The Empress' voice is soft, light, and reassuring.

"Matsu Akira, Deathseeker, I have heard of your deeds. Along, fighting dozens, protecting your comrades. Shingen-san himself spoke highly of you. He spoke of your success in bringing his message to Toshi Ranbo, in alerting your Lord of Shingen-san's plight. If you had not, perhaps the Lion army would not be here today."

Everyone in the room is on edge. What will she says next?

And then, she says it, "The days are past where the Empire can afford to lose its greatest warriors for some minor fault, or a past failure. You have paid for your failure tenfold, Matsu Akira-san. Tear from your chest he Mon of a Deathseeker and look upon the room as Matsu Akira, bushi of the Lion and Matsu ..."

There are gasps throughout the crowd at the honor Akira has received here today ...
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Akira goes pale, to be addressed by the Emperess herself is a gift he does not deserve, but to have her praise him is simply heartpounding. He is stunned simply by her words, the once Lion Empress speaks that whuch Akira never dreamt he would hear. Rare is it for a Deathseeker to have his sins washed away, only one in recent memory, Setai, can Akira remember. He steps backwards, as if punched in the face by her words, so emotional, so shocked, and so in awe of her. Gulping, his faces shows all his emotions, a shameful act, but the last one he shall make as a Deathseeker.

Liftins his shoulders he stands tall, "Hai! As you command Daughter of Heaven-dono." He bows at the waste and when he stands straight he has a hand on his Deathseeker mon. He rips the image from his kimono holding tight to the patch, not letting it go, not yet. As he tears it free he gives a shout of "Bonzai!" to cover the sound of his kimono tearing.

Dropping to his knees he holds the patch out, "My life, and my death belong to you Glorious Empress of Rokugan!"

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:51 pm

If the Laughing Steel Master is surprised by the Empress' unorthodox decision, he does not show it. But such an unusual honor is a sign of great and storied valor. Clearly this Matsu Akira is a man to watch.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Tadao having come forward with the others. Now stands in awe of the Matsu. Though his face remains as rigid as stone. His mind races, for truly he is proud of his comrade. Even if he did steal the Kitsu's glory. He turns only his head slowly to look at the bushi then back again. Allowing the Matsu to see. Ninety nine bought your forgiveness Akira, ninety nine do you owe. I shall see that you repay that debt, the Kitsu thinks to himself. Then his full attention is once again turned back to the dias and the future of Rokugan...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Even Seppun Koshiro reacts to the words of the Empress, a small smile clearly breaking onto his lips and the tell-tale surprise in his eyes. He stands with the others and even as an Imperial he never dares look upon the Empress without her permission.

'œNo matter what praise or gifts come this day, who could not dedicate themselves to her service after seeing such charity and wisdom?' To Koshiro the rightful reward to his companion was reward enough to him as well.
Curse of real life. Between a last minute holiday and house-hunting didn't have a chance to post. Should be back to normal now.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

The Founding of the Chrystanthemum Magistrates

Post by TetNak » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:03 am

The Empress nods to all this with a single, slight, nod of her head. "Seppun Koshiro-san," she says, the fan barely covering her mouth, "I have heard of many great deeds. I have heard how you had won the day. You and your one hundred ashigaru." She pauses, then says, "I have heard they call you the Hand of Justice?" She drops her fan a slight bit, "If the rumors I have heard are true, it is a fitting name."

People murmur throughout the room but halt immediately as the woman speaks again. "The Emerald Magistrates have no leader. For now, I need new, worthy people to serve me directly. Seppun Koshiro-san, Hand of Justice, shall you agree to serve your Empress? Will you be the first of the Chrystanthemum Magistrates?"
fixed a bunch of typos

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: The Founding of the Chrystanthemum Magistrates

Post by MadVlat » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:19 am

Rage slowly begins to well up within Tadao. Coming from some dark place deep inside. Yet still he stands quiet barely able to control a tremor emerging from his right hand. For though brave and loyal to the empire were the Seppuns acts. The men were his to lead. To regain his focus he begins to recite the names of all the fallen that he can remember in his mind...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...