Chapter 1: The Khan's Defiance

Toturi III is dead. The Empire is left without an Emperor. Toturi's wife, Toturi Kurako, rules as the Empress until her husband's written wishes can be found and acted upon.

With the Emperor dead, others seek to gain power. One such man is the Khan of the Unicorn Clan, Moto Chagatai, who currently lays siege to the Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho.

Run by the GM TetNak
akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The Founding of the Chrystanthemum Magistrates

Post by akarmicanomaly » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Seppun Koshiro seemingly freezes when the Daughter of Heaven sees fit to address him. His mind reels from confusion, pride, shock and joy and he fights to keep himself composed and stay the blushing from his cheeks. His heart pounds like a war-drum.

To stand before the Shining Princess and he rewarded in such a way grips at Koshiro's heart more tightly than any battle or chance of death.

'œThe first Chrysanthemum Magistrate? What of the duties of the Emerald Magistrates? And they call me the Hand of Justice now?'

'œDaughter of Heaven-dono, to even glimpse your radiance is reward enough for performing my duty.' As he speaks and bows it's clear he begins the customary 2 refusals, knowing to falter in etiquette here would shame his ancestors more than any cowardice or failure on the battlefield.

'œSuch a reward but I could not allow my plainness to diminish the heavenly beauty of the Chrysanthemum.' Finally he accepts.

'œArigato gozaimasu Empress Toturi-dono. I will give upon to you my life, soul and the strength of my ancestors. I will serve in your glorious name!'
*clunk* I hit the floor almost upon reading that! 8O

Darn Books! Nowhere does it state if the Empress offers you a gift do you refuse it twice or not. I went with yes on the safe side. It is terrifying to actually have to refuse the Empress, even if it's traditional!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Akira is still unsteady from his personal reward, his status of Deathseeker gone, he has been deep in thought on what it means to owe his life and death to someone other than his Daimyo, other than his ancestors. Then Koshiro is address. He bows his head when the Empress speaks, the assignment and promotion is outstanding. Akira would have spoken at this point, he would have congratulated Koshiro if he was still a Deathseeker. He is not, so he waits, until the Empress is finished offering and Koshiro accepts the new position and title.

When there is a break he turns and bows to Koshiro, "Seppun Koshiro-sama, I can think of no one better to bare the title and honors bestowed on you this day. Allow me to be the first to say congratulation on a well deserved reward." He staightens and returns to being silent for the moment. He's eyes do flash at Tadao, who he knows well enough to glimpse what the man is doing. Those were Tadao's men, again he has his command usurped. It is the Rich Frog all over again for him. Poor man. Then a sly look at his Damiyo, and then the Laughing Steel Master to see their reactions.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:18 pm

The Empress continues to barter with Koshiro as he refuses. It is all very traditional and customary. When he does accept, she smiles, nodding her head and looking about. "Now, the Chrysanthemum Champion needs yoriki, does he not?" Her eyes flutter to Akira and Tadao, "Matsu Akira-san, Kitsu Tadao-san, I would like both of you to join The Hand of Justice. Akira-san acting as Koshiro-san's yojimbo." She turns and gives a quickly look to an older Scorpion that is standing nearby.

"For those of you who do not know," the masked man says, "I am Bayushi Norachai, Protector of the Imperial City." He leaves a slight pause, "I shall not allow the Scorpion to not do their part. Bayushi Takeo-san, Laughing Steel Master. Consider yourself reassigned to the Chrystanthemum Magistrates. For the Empress!"
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:27 pm

"For the Empress fair I accept this high honor, great Bayushi-san!"

The Laughing Steel Master's bow is classic in its form and flawless in its execution. His voice echoes hollowly, but the astonisment and honor in his tone is clear. He sees that it is politics, not achievement, that has thrust this upon him, but surely it is the working of Fate that moves all things. He will prove the equal of this task.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Yojimbo? My life is the Empress' but she gives it to Koshiro. Bowing as low as he can, "My life is yours, and I shall see to it that Seppun Koshiro-sama comes to no harm." He straightens and the pride he is feeling is obvious on him, he is no trained courtier and can not hide it like one of them might. He takes up the shout, "For the Empress!"

OOC: Edited for bad typing.
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:54 am

Tadao is no courtier. His mind and body forged by long years of battle. His bow is rigid as both welling anger and pain consume his stiffened limbs. He speaks slowly and clearly his words obviously practiced. "I Kitsu Tadao will do all within my power to uphold the honor of the position you have charged me with this day. For the protection of the son of heaven's empire and the wisdom of its glorious empress". Once again he drops to his knees and bows. "This is my oath". Rising from the bow but not his knees he looks to Akira , then the Seppun. "I am your sword Seppun Koshiro sama". His head drops down in a proper bow of respect to the Seppun. The Lion saying nothing more. Just rising and moving to stand next to the hand of justice...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:12 am

'œHai! For the Empress!' With a cheer he responds to Akira's cry and bows to each of '˜his' new '˜yoriki' as they pledge themselves. Again the Empresses words have caused Koshiro's heart to flutter in shock and surprise. 'œThe Chrysanthemum Champion'¦

'œThese gifts you have presented are beyond compare Empress Toturi-dono. If I may be so bold as to ask what are the duties you intend for us? To samurai such as we there is no greater reward.'
Hi, should be back to posting now, just to let everyone know family troubles plus house/job moving cut down on my free time last week.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:39 pm

"Indeed, a task for you I have," the Empress says. "Today is the day for friendship, and loyalty to the Empire. We must extend our hand to those that are loyal. We must seek the aid of the Dragon. Their armies are close. They could be used to turn the tide of battle against the Unicorn." She pauses, "You will go to Shiro Kitsuki, negotiate a peace, and request the aid of the Dragon in sending their armies south, to attack the Unicorn."

There is a pause in her speech, allowing others a quiet, hurried, whisper or two.

She then speaks again, "Kitsuki Ichiro, step forward." Then, as if one cue, the Dragon courtier does just that. The man is middle aged, with flowing black hair that sits on his shoulders, and wearing a green kimono of his clan. "Hai, Empress-dono," he says, bowing low.

Her eyes move back to Koshiro, "Ichiro-san is more than a simple courtier. He is wise, and skilled with the arts of the ise zumi, or so I am told. He will lead you to Shiro Kitsuki. The audience has already been arranged."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 pm

The Laughing Steel Master nods to this order. He would neither speak out of turn to accept this mission, nor remain impassive in the face of a direct order. Nevertheless, the action is as good as done now that it has been asked of him.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:23 pm

Matsu Akira narrows his eyes and looks across at the Dragon Courtier. Another war with the Dragon and the Unicorn, the Fortunes repeat our history for us like some joke." He listens to the Empress, and assumes the whole mission is simply a technicallity, For if the Empress wishes the Dragon to fight, can they refuse? They did not refuse her husband. Too much of this is like the War of the Rich Frog for Akira's likely, but those days of dishonor are now behind him. He stands silently next to his charge, ready to do as ordered, glad is simply have orders once again other than to die.