Prelude: Seppun Koshiro

Toturi III is dead. The Empire is left without an Emperor. Toturi's wife, Toturi Kurako, rules as the Empress until her husband's written wishes can be found and acted upon.

With the Emperor dead, others seek to gain power. One such man is the Khan of the Unicorn Clan, Moto Chagatai, who currently lays siege to the Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho.

Run by the GM TetNak
akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: After the Bokken

Post by akarmicanomaly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:49 am

Koshiro watches the ronin, but observes the merchants and heimin more carefully for their reactions. He makes no overtly threatening moves and steps forward a few steps, closing the gap. His gaze falls to the boy curled up in the ball and back up to the ronin.

'œI am Seppun Koshiro, Nikutai of the First Imperial Legion. I would be honoured if you would reveal your name, so I can offer the respect you are due.' He introduces himself with a little pomp and authority, more for the onlookers than the ronin.

'œAn explanation would be wise right now.' His eyes fix on the boy, though he keeps his voice free of any malice. He decides to keep the ronin talking, to distract him from what the boy might say or do. 'œMay I ask where your house is?'

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:59 am

The dirty ronin nods, "Fine, I am called Koto," he says. "My home is over there," he waves down the street, past many shops and stands, and could be indicating any one of dozens of homes.

The boy rolls up to his knees, spitting blood, and attempts to get to his feet. When he does so, the ronin kicks him back over onto his side, though not nearly as hard as he was earlier.

The heimin around the scene cringe at the actions, they seem afraid of Koto, and extremely nervous about what is happening in the street.
Investigation: 21, Success
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:21 am

'˜Koto's' actions begins to raise Koshiro's suspicion. This was a merchant district and the ronin's noncommittal answer regarding his home does little to ease his thoughts. He is careful to phrase things, to doubt Koto's word could lead to bloodshed, he was still samurai and these were still heimin.

'œKoto-san, it appears kicking the boy will not get you the explanation you seek and if you continue he will not be able to talk at all.' Koshiro takes a couple steps closer to make his point. 'œIt appears to be some distance to your home Koto-san, how did this altercation spill into the streets?'

Koshiro's eyes watch not the ronin but the street behind him for any sign of a struggle or chase.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:48 pm

Koto, with a sneer on his face, answers. "I chased him here. And caught him." He looks like he wants to kick him again, but restrains himself. The heimin around the scene continue to look extremely scared of what is occurring. They do not say anything, however, and some begin to move away and distance themselves from this spectacle.

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:19 pm

Koshiro watches the scene carefully, his suspicions growing at the simple answers given. More likely you have forced this heimin from his house so you could take his accommodation, space is hard to find here in Toshi Ranbo.

He catches one the dispersing heimin with a glare.
'œI will require the services of a Yoriki or Doshin who knows this area. I would be honoured if you could find such an individual.'

The mind is a battlefield, complete with strategy and tactics. Let us see how well Koto-san fares. The Seppun smiles sincerely back at the ronin, watching his reactions intently at the mention of bringing in the local authorities.

'œI apologise for taking up your time Koto-san but I feel an act as reprehensible as theft of a samurai's honour must be investigated thoroughly, even if it was unsuccessful. I am sure neither of us could sleep in peace if it was possible it could happen to another.' Koshiro politely nods, deciding to catch the ronin out with his own story.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:42 pm

Two of the nearby heimin immediately bolt from the scene, bowing first to Koshiro, "Hai!" The ronin grunts, "Wait you ..." He grunts as they flee, and turns to Koshiro. "No need, Seppun-sama," he says, "I think he has paid enough." He takes a step back from the downed boy, "I will be on my way ..."

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:17 pm

Koshiro allows the ronin to leave, memorising what he can about him to pass on to the local magistrate.

He reaches down and gives the heimin boy a lift to his feet, the exertion reminding him of today's lesson. I wonder what Shinsei would say about challenging deathseekers?

He lets the heimin boy regain his breath and speak first.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:45 pm

The ronin gives a quick, half-hearted bow, and walks off into a nearby ally between a row of homes. The heimin seem to relax now, going about their business, and slowly disperse from the scene.

The boy takes Koshiro's hand and gets to his feet, spitting some blood from his mouth as he does so. "I will not forget that beating for a long while," he says, his head bowed low before the Imperial.

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:56 pm

Koshiro nods, feeling sympathy for the young boy. He nods politely to him, appearing friendly while still constrained by social rules. He could not appear to take the words of a heimin over that of a samurai, even if that samurai was a dirty unwashed ronin.

"You endured it well, though I must admit I am still unclear what provoked it."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:03 am

The young man keeps his eyes down. "I would only tell the truth, but I am afraid those words will doom me to a quick end." The heimin shakes his head, "I shall tell it, anyway. He is a new arrival. Cam her bossing us around. Very angry. Took what he wanted, did not pay, bedded with all the women he wanted." Tears drop from the boy's eyes onto the ground, "My mother. He was so violent. He killed her. I came to confront him, as the local doshin also are scared, and when I did ..." He waves a hand to a puddle of blood on the ground.