Prelude: Hideki, Luckiest Peasant in Rokugan

Toturi III is dead. The Empire is left without an Emperor. Toturi's wife, Toturi Kurako, rules as the Empress until her husband's written wishes can be found and acted upon.

With the Emperor dead, others seek to gain power. One such man is the Khan of the Unicorn Clan, Moto Chagatai, who currently lays siege to the Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho.

Run by the GM TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Prelude: Hideki, Luckiest Peasant in Rokugan

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Day 2, Month of the Ox

The last few days has seen much death and destruction over Rokugan. The Unicorn army was stopped, at least temporarily, in Oiku. Seppun Koshiro, now the Chrysanthemum Magistrate, led a force of one hundred ashigaru to victory against overwhelming odds. The only ashigaru survivor was Hideki.

A Lion warrior, through and through, Hideki will find combat against his enemies soon enough ...

Hideki has been rather busy of late. No longer assigned to a unit, instead he has been granted a great boon. Upon the first day of the Champion's departure north, Seppun Toshinaka had come to Hideki in order to 'teach him bushido'.

The Imperial had drilled Hideki day and night. Day and night. Day and night. Today it is snowing, hard, and the ground is thick with it already. The sun has just come up, but that gives no benefit as a cold wind stamps out any warmth it might give. Never has Hideki been told why Toshinaka has taken to training him. Though, the training certainly has not been easy.

Toshinaka stands there, fully armed, peering over Toshinaka standing there. "Now, what will you do when you are standing there, unarmed, eh?" Two burly men come forth, taking away Hideki's yari. "Strip off your armor!" barks Toshinaka.
Welcome Hideki! He will be played by Nate. This thread is for Nate only
Last edited by TetNak on Wed May 13, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Re: Prelude: Hideki, Luckiest Peasant in Rokugan

Post by Nate » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 pm

"Yes Toshinaka-sama." Hideki bows to the man training him, and immediately begins removing his armor.

A mix of emotions come to Hideki, as he begins removing his armor. He knows he's lucky to be alive, thanks mainly to Koshiro-sama, and the guidance he offered in the battle. He also feels the elation of being trained in Bushido, not only for the fact that it is incredibly rare for a man born a peasant to be trained in the art of Bushido, but this has been his life dream since he was a boy.

Along with those is the weariness, he's been worked tirelessly, yet refuses to give up. Not that he thinks they would let him if he wanted to...

Placing the last of the armor down he looks back to Toshinaka-sama and bows again, letting him know he's ready.
I'm not 100% sure of the exact protocol, would it be Toshinaka-sama, or Seppun-sama? If one is more respectful than the other I would try to be using the better of the two. I do know to stay away from using -san at least...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 pm

"Fight with honor!" Toshinaka barks. Once Hideki has stripped his feeble ashigaru armor, the Seppun looks over to the burly men and says, "Get him! Beat him!" He just turns and stares at Hideki, "Well, what are you going to do, farmer?"
Either is fine. Typically, just using Seppun would be if you don't know the person's name and only can see their mon. I use them interchangeably. So either is correct
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Hideki looks to the two men, and takes a defensive stance, charging at the men would most likely leave himself vounrable to their attacks. Instead he shall wait and meet them on his terms, preferably throwing or tripping the first one to reach him.
I don't really know how the combat system here works...
I like pie.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Let's go through combat :)
Hideki 15, Burly Fighters 10
Initiative is figured by Rank/Reflexes. This means you take your rank (1) and add it to your Reflexes. The combination is the Roll, and the Reflexes is your Keep.

Just an FYI, nearly all rolls are noted xKy. K = keep. x = the combination of skill and trait. Y is the trait. This is a bit different as init is done by rank, not a skill. Hideki has no advantage or school techniques that aid initiative. He rolled 4k3, the fighters rolled 3k2.
Hideki drops down into a defensive stance, allowing the burly men to make the first move, and to counter attack.
Full Defense: 6k3: 17 + 18 = 35 TNtbH.
This is a bit confusing, I suggest reading the Book of Fire to get a better grasp of this.

One stance is Full Defense, which you have chosen. This allows you to roll your defense skill and add it to your TNtbH (Target Number to be Hit = AC). You have 18 to start (Defense Skill + Reflexes x 5). There are limitations to this stance in regards to movement, etc.
When they do attack, Hideki is ready, and the first punch is an excellent, a strong kiai shout exploding from the man's lips, but Hideki thwarts the attack bringing his own forearm against the man's wrist, deflecting the blow away from his face. The second is easily avoided, as Hideki simply circles to his left. The men are both off balance, ready for the ashigaru to pounce.
Burly Fighters: Full Attack Stance (2 Free Raises for Damage): 3k2: 24 vs. 35 TNtbH, Miss. 3k2: 17 vs TNtbH 35, Fail.
Here we see both fighters go into the full attack stance, this is reckless abandon. They can get two free 'raises' for to hit or damage. Each raises for To Hit is +5. So, if they would have used 2 raises To Hit, that would have been +10 to their roll. However, they did it for damage. Damage does not use +5 or +10, instead it adds die. The first raise is +1k0, the second is +1k1, and so on. If they would have hit they would have added +1k1 to their damage.

You'll notice fighter #1 rolled very high. That is because if you roll a natural 10 you get to roll and additional die, and so on, until you do not roll a 10. He rolled a 10 and 8. He rolled again and rolled a 6. Still, its not enough to hit Hideki because of his full defense.

Full Attack's main disadvantage is what happens after you go into Full Attack. Anyone can retaliate and take advantage of this. Hideki now gets 3 Free Raises to use in any way he wishes (There are 'other' attacks, such as disarm, etc, that take raises) against a Full Attacker. So, the basics are, Hideki can have +15 on his attack vs. one of these guys, or + 2k1 on damage, or some sort of combination. Such as +10 to this attack and +0k1 on his damage. That decision is up to you.

Hideki's Jiujutsu skill is 4k3. His unarmed strike is 2k1. (Damage is done by weapon type and strength. The weapon has a base damage, unarmed is 0k1. For instance, however, a katana is 2k3. If you had 2 strength with a katana, you would roll 4k3 for damage.

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:44 am

Hideki sides out of his defensive posture and strikes at the man who's attack was less on target. It seems to him removing the easier of the two would be the safest thing to do in the long run.
attack that the one with the lower attack roll. (I know they're really both the same.) +5 to hit, and +1k1 damage. (I think... if I'm reading that right that is.)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:46 am

Tides of battle is how initiative adjusts during a combat. This can be very important with more than two in a fight. You can swings things in your favor if you have not been injured.

You can do this in two ways.

Roll d10 and add to your init
Roll d10 and subtract from anyone you have injured
No one has injured anyone so both roll for themselves
In the following example Hideki almost got swapped!

Hideki 18 (+3), Burly Fighters 17 (+7)
Hideki wheels, swinging his fist at the nearby fighter. His knuckles slam against the cheek of the man, staggering him, and almost sitting him on the ground. Blood sprays into the snow covered road ...
Attack: 26 + 5 (Raise) = 31, Success. Dmg: 16 (3k2)
The Attack stance is the third of the stances, which you used here. There are no negatives or positives in the way of raises, etc. It is the standard attack. Ranged attacks can only be in this stance.

Look on the Battlesheet of your xls. Its actually partially wrong. The Wounds portion shows what wounds confers with what levels. The more injured you are, the harder it is to do something. You have strength of earth, which helps you keep going even when injured. They don't! They do have 3 Stamina though, which makes them have 6 HP/Wounds per level. Check out the HP update spoiler for more information on this
BF#1: -16, Nicked, +5 TN
This guy is in the Nicked range. He has 6 HP per level. Level 1 is Healthy, +0 TN. So, damage from 1-6 is 0 TN. 7-12 is actually Grazed, 13-18 is Nicked, etc. When you get +5 TN, for instance, your attack rolls are - 5 TN, or, really, +5 TN to their TNtbH, but it works the same way regardless
Hideki does not have much chance to protect himself. The man he punched spins, sending a spinning backfist in the ashigaru's direction. Hideki envisions taking the force of the blow on the temple, but at the last moment leans backward, and instead of the temple the end of his nose is caught. Hideki feels the beginnings to a bloody nose, but nothing has trickled forth yet.

The second man steps forward and kicks, but Hideki swats the attack down with both hands and backpedals ever so slightly.
BF#1: Full Attack: 26 vs. 18 + 5 (Nicked) = 23, Hit. Dmg: 3k1 + 1k1 (2 Raises) = 4k2. Dmg: 13 - 10 (Void to Soak) = 3
Notice Void is one of your traits. It is unlike others. Most skills (some do) do not use this trait. It is expendable, and you can use it for many different things. The most useful is probably using it to soak wounds. Once per round you can use it to deflect 10 points of wounds. Hideki has 2 void total, so he can use 1 more void today, and 0 more this round. In the future, either tell me you want to do this always, or tell me in the combat itself.
BF#2: Full Attack: 11, Fail
Hideki: -3, Healthy, -1 Void
BF#1: -16, Nicked, +5 TN
You only have 4 HP per level because your Earth Ring (Which is both Strength and Stamina traits, is 2. Basically its your ring x 2 per level
Hideki 18, Burly Fighters 17
Notice no change was possible because both parties were injured

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 pm

Hideki, feeling the blood slowly trickling out of his nose looks back to the injured man who caused it. better to finish this one off first, and take on the other man alone.

Hideki shifts forward and launches another punch at the man in front of him, hoping to send him to the ground.
standard attack again. So if I got this correctly they both did full attacks I get +3 raises right? If so I'll do the same thing as last time... +5 to hit, +1k1 attack.

Tides of battle: so if no-one hits, both sides get the roll, if both hit, nobody gets it. And if one hits, and the other doesn't, the one that hits gets the roll?
I like pie.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 pm

Hideki 18, Burly Fighters 17
Hideki stays on the man who he hit. He steps forward and punches again. The quick fist smashes the fighter in the most, causing blood to fly everywhere. The punch is so vicious that the huge man falls backward, knocked out, and probably in terrible position. Hideki could have killed him with a blow like that ...
Attack: 22 + 5 = 27, Success. Dmg: 31 (2k1 + 1k1)

<MUSH> +ROLL: tet@IRC rolls 3 L5R d10 and the dice show: 25 6 5
Yes on both accounts!
The second man lurches at Hideki swinging a wild fist that misses badly. Once again leaving Hideki in a good position to defend himself and retaliate.
Full Attack: 11, Miss
Hideki 18, Burly Fighters 16 (-1)
Hideki: -3, Healthy, -1 Void
BF#1: -47, Out

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Nate » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:04 pm

Hideki watches the man fall, as his fist lands squarely knocking him to the ground. While he currently is a combatant, Hideki knows the man was truly no enemy, and hopes he will be alright.

Now however is not a proper time to stop and check on the man...

Hideki squares up against the other man, moving to the side to avoid tripping over the man on the ground, and launches another attack this one at the other man.
So He did a full attack, was it 3 raises because there were two guys? or is them doing a full attack just 3 raises?

if three raises, +5 to hit, and +1k1, If something else, I'd do +5 to hit, and remainder to damage...
I like pie.