Prelude: Leaving Home

Toturi III is dead. The Empire is left without an Emperor. Toturi's wife, Toturi Kurako, rules as the Empress until her husband's written wishes can be found and acted upon.

With the Emperor dead, others seek to gain power. One such man is the Khan of the Unicorn Clan, Moto Chagatai, who currently lays siege to the Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho.

Run by the GM TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Prelude: Leaving Home

Post by TetNak » Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 am

Rokugan is in turmoil. The Khan and his Unicorn clan have marched upon the capital, Toshi Ranbo. The Lion have already been beaten back to the city itself and the Unicorn are preparing for the final blow. There have been rumors of a large battle won by Imperial forces, but there has been no direct attack upon the city itself.

Meanwhile, in the Kakita Dueling Academy life goes on as normal. Students train and sensei teach.

Day 4, Month of the Ox, 1168

Walking through the garden outside the academy is a new graduate, Daidoji Eikaze. Snow falls from the sky lightly, but the wind is light and the sun peeks through the clouds.

From behind Eikaze is a young woman who has just exited a wooden building that comprises part of the academy. It is Eikaze's good friend, Miyoko.

"Eikaze!" she calls out, moving through the garden, waving slightly as she approaches.
This game is for WinterRat, only WinterRat should post to this thread
Last edited by TetNak on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Prelude: Leaving Home

Post by WinterRat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:39 am

Eikaze smiles and returns the wave, then bows gracefully as she approaches. "Miyoko-chan. It is a pleasure to see you, as always. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed May 13, 2009 4:44 am

"Do I have to have a reason?" Miyoko asks as she comes to a stop, straightening her kimono. She returns Eikaze's bow, but seems to act rather informally around her friend. "But, this time, I do." She gives the young man a quick smile, "My father wants to speak to you." She pauses, "But he did not say when, really, so maybe you will share your walk of the gardens with me?"

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:51 am

"I can think of no better way to spend my afternoon."

Turning slightly, he begins walking into the garden, leading the pair through the majestic gardens of the Kakita Academy.

After a moment of silence, he asks, "Do you know why your father wishes to speak with me?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed May 13, 2009 5:00 am

The girl shrugs, a coy look coming over her face, "I would not assume to know," she says, walking along and brushing her hand along the snow covered pine trees they pass.

Miyoko begins to sings a traditional Crane song, nearly under her breath, but stops suddenly. "Did you hear that the Unicorn have Toshi Ranbo surrounded?" she asks, shaking her head.

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:09 am

Eikaze gives the maiden a playful smile. "Do not change the subject. Just because you would not assume to know does not mean you do not know. Or at the least, have some idea."

He pauses. "And yes, I have heard rumors of the Unicorn military at Toshi Ranbo. Why do you ask?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed May 13, 2009 5:35 am

"No reason, Eikaze-sama," Miyoko bows overly low, jesting with Eikaze. When they start walking again, she sighs, "If I tell you, you cannot say anything." She gives him a warning look, "I am serious!"

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 am

Eikaze makes a movement as if sealing his lips. Putting on a serious face, he responds gravely, "I would sooner die than reveal your secrets."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed May 13, 2009 9:22 am

"I knew I liked you for a reason," she says, not really expounding on her statement. "Father is sending me to the capital," she says, her face changing slightly into one of worry. She quickly pushes it away with a smile, "He said he would send you to 'watch over me'." She pouts like a child, "Of course I do not /need/ looking after, but, I cannot deny I would enjoy your company ..."
Ideas.

For the date, can you put them in a OOC spoiler, unless its a date change maybe? I think that would help not break the continuity of the prose so much. Also for 3 extra XP you could create Miyoko's character. She could be Rank 1 or 2, I'll leave that up to you.

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:27 pm

Eikaze manages to keep a straight face at Miyoko's antics. She somehow had the ability to come across as charmingly innocent even when acting like a child. "I would not dream of suggesting you need someone to look after you," he agrees in an overly serious tone.

He then smiles an impish smile, one he'd been practicing secretly, because Kazue-sama had told him it was important to have a variety of smiles at his disposal, the proper smile for each situation.

"But if I understand you correctly, this means we will be traveling together. To the capital. To serve in the heart of the Empire. And you are implying this is a bad thing because..."

His voice trails off into a teasing question left hanging in the air like the gently falling snowflakes all around them.