Prelude: Leaving Home

Toturi III is dead. The Empire is left without an Emperor. Toturi's wife, Toturi Kurako, rules as the Empress until her husband's written wishes can be found and acted upon.

With the Emperor dead, others seek to gain power. One such man is the Khan of the Unicorn Clan, Moto Chagatai, who currently lays siege to the Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho.

Run by the GM TetNak
WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Prelude: Leaving Home

Post by WinterRat1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:17 am

Day 7, Month of the Ox, 1168
Eikaze's eyes widen at Matsusuke's bold words. "Impossible! The Khan would not dare such thing!"

Realizing his words may have cast insult upon the ronin, Eikaze quickly continues, "My apologies, Matsusuke-san, I do not mean to give insult or doubt your honesty. However, that is a very bold statement, with far reaching implications. May I inquire as to how you have come across this information, and why you believe it to be true?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:21 am

Matsusuke shrugs weakly, "You are wrong, I am afraid, Crane-sama." The ronin bows, "There have already been several battles," he says, "Oiku is the nearest to the capitol, a victory for the Empire." He pauses, "I would not like to speak as to why I have knowledge, only that I do." He bows again, "I would suggest you hurry before it is too late and blood begins to flow."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:18 am

Day 7, Month of the Ox, 1168
Eikaze nods gravely. "You are correct. Time is of the essence. However, I have one final question. Why tell me? Why not deliver the message yourself? At the very least, you must have encountered other suitable candidates to deliver the message in your stead prior to me."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:10 am

The ronin, Matsusuke, looks hesitant to speak, lowering his eyes to the floor as he begins to answer. "Because I was hired to aid the Khan in his attack on the city," he says, finally. "I have turned from that path, and offer up this scroll to you in penitence."

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:34 am

Can I make some kind of roll to assess his truthfulness?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:26 am

Awareness: 17, Success
The ronin appears to be telling the truth as far as Eikaze can tell.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 pm

I need to move this along
Eikaze and Miyoko travel for the next month to Toshi Ranbo with the letter given to them by the ronin. Only a half day out from the city, they find the remains of a battle outside the town of Oiku, with a Lion garrison. Eikaze and Miyoko are told the truth, the Unicorn have come, and they plan to attack.

*** Day 2, Month of the Dragon, 1169 ***

Daidoji Eikaze enters the city of Toshi Ranbo, a city preparing for war. It takes him all day to get an audience with anyone, including Crane diplomats. Finally, Eikaze is able to talk his way into a meeting with Doji Seishiro.

Seishiro looks over scrolls in his office in the Crane estates. He looks up and spots the pair, Eikaze and Miyoko. "I have heard you are to join me here? Poor timing for you, I must say."

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:10 am

Day 2, Month of the Dragon, 1169
Eikaze bows deeply to Doji Seishiro. "We are ready to serve the Crane in whatever capacity you require, Doji-sama."
Tet, I will be out of town and without internet access from Sunday, August 2 through Saturday, August 8. If you need to move me along feel free to do so, otherwise I will catch up ASAP upon my return.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:59 pm

The courtier shrugs, "There is little we can do but support the Empress," he says. "I have heard that the days draw near when the attack will begin." Seishiro frowns. "I have heard an interesting story," he muses, more to himself than Eikaze or Miyoko. "The Empress has recently formed a group, her own personal Magistrates. I do not know if it is simply for the duration of this conflict or not. They lack a Crane ambassador, that much I know. All Lion, Crab and Scorpion from what I have heard." He laughs to himself, "What say you? Glory and Honor for the Crane is assured."

WinterRat1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WinterRat1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 am

Day 2, Month of the Dragon, 1169
"We are prepared to serve however you think best, Doji-sama," Eikaze answers.

Pausing for a moment, he continues, "However, if this story is true, I believe it would be wise to ensure there is a Crane amongst these personal Magistrates, to ensure the Empress is not unduly influenced by the Lion, Crane, or Scorpion."