Chapter 3: Aftermath

Toturi III is dead. The Empire is left without an Emperor. Toturi's wife, Toturi Kurako, rules as the Empress until her husband's written wishes can be found and acted upon.

With the Emperor dead, others seek to gain power. One such man is the Khan of the Unicorn Clan, Moto Chagatai, who currently lays siege to the Imperial City, Toshi Ranbo wo Shien Shite Reigisaho.

Run by the GM TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Chapter 3: Aftermath

Post by TetNak » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:19 pm

Day 8, Month of the Dragon, 1169
In the past few days many things have happened. A collection of samurai from many clans have come together under the Empress to form her personal magistrates. The battle for Toshi Ranbo was fought, as the Khan finally pushed through with his invasion. It was decided, for the Empress' safety, she would leave the city under the protection of her magistrates. No word has been heard of the status of Toshi Ranbo, and after a harrowing experience outside of the lost city, Otosan Uchi, the magistrates and Empress have come to Shiro sano Kakita.

Doji Eikaze has ridden forward to announce the arrival of the magistrates. He has yet to return after a half an hour. The magistrates move forward slowly, waiting for his return.
Welcome to chapter 3!
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Nate
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Re: Chapter 3: Aftermath

Post by Nate » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 pm

Hideki rides quietly in the saddle of the large horse silently watching the groups surroundings. Knowing that they're no longer in the heart of the war might be enough for some folks to relax, but given what had occurred just two days ago when they had thought they were perfectly safe inside an inn Hideki refuses to let his guard slip.

The last couple days had been hard on the road, though likely better for himself than some of the others as he somehow managed to avoid being hurt in the last battle, perhaps something he should thank the Kami for later. For now though he waits, ready to put himself between anything he deems dangerous and the Empress.

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:25 pm

The Chrysanthemum Champion rides cautiously atop the powerful beast of gaijin breeding, weariness etched deeply upon his features. The Seppun has rested little since the battle, taking it upon himself to maintain more than his fair share of watches at night. Though the hopeful safety of the Crane lies ahead the journey leads them perilously close to Osari Plains, lush and rich farmlands said to be haunted after sunset by hungry and savage ghosts.

Fatigued and aching Koshiro catches the occasional glimpse of his reflection in the watered rice paddies, a reflection much different to the mere Nikutai Akira met in Toshi Ranbo. 'œFortunes preserve me, have I truly served three months as a Champion?' Gone was the serenity, easy humour and idealism '€" replaced instead with a dour nature and troubled thoughts. It was a change he disliked in himself.

His gaze turns to his tired magistrates and his malaise is lifted, replaced by swelling pride at the band of Samurai he leads.

'œThe generous hospitality of the Crane is famed throughout history, for honoured heroes such as yourselves I expect a warm welcome.' Again the Champion excludes himself from the praise and turns his words to the Daughter of Heaven. 'œUnless we are given other duties Empress-dono, perhaps a little rest for these exemplary magistrates?'

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:08 am

Bayushi Takeo reveals no weariness; the Scorpion's features are schooled to serenity. Since the battle with ronin and monsters outside the burning inn, he has been watchful, both for the darkness that gathers around the Magistrates and the darkness within his own Tainted soul. He keeps respectable distance from the Empress; he is unworthy to look at the Daughter of Heaven.

Wanderer's sorrow;
No place I might call my own,
Days and nights roaming.

At the mention of a welcome, Takeo finds himself conscious of his sword. The way his life has gone since Koshiro and Akira entered it, no wine is to be trusted as unsoured.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:47 am

The Kuni Witch Hunter keeps up with the group, his mental discipline keeping the pain of riding on a horse at bay. Besides, his thoughts lie elsewhere, alternating restlessly between three main topics. For the past, the others seem to have forgotten the Tainted artifact still missing. Gidayu is confident that attacking the maho tsukai was the correct choice, but their flight from the Imperial Capital prevented him from cleaning up what may end up being a greater long-term threat. He will have to contact his fellow Witch Hunters, perhaps even bring in the Jade Magistrates or Inquisitors to help in the search. Such a thing can bring only sorrow to the Empire.

For the present, the Bayushi's Taint is another constant worry. While the Kuni is confident that the Scorpion has the corruption under control, the samurai seems to have withdrawn emotionally and socially, his damnation etched on his face. He will have to take the time to speak to Takeo, to explain that there can still be honour and nobility in what remains of his life.

Lastly, for the future, the Crab is not too certain of the Crane's hospitality. At least two Clans have already turned upon the Empress, the Unicorn and the Mantis. Who knows who else, either individually or collectively, will show treason? He keeps himself alert, watchful for physical dangers. There is little else he can do for the moment.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 am

Akira is made of strong stuff, and while the ride and days right after the battle at the sake house are only just past the Lion's wounds seem not to bother him at all. He rides more comfortably than the others, natural born horseman, the Yojimbo to the Champion does sleep a bit more than he normally has but by the time the group reaches this village he seems in far better than than one might suspect. His yari resting in a stirup, tip pointing up wards he pulls in his horse alongside Koshiro. "Allow me to scout the way Champion. We can ill aford another ambush, and my speed on horseback is far greater than the others."

The Lion, once a Warden, once a Deathseeker, and now a Magistrate still is unsure of his role at times in the greater world. I yet live, though I try and come to see you grandfather. Perhaps today.

Once given leave by Koshiro Akira will ride boldly and brazenly into the town, right to the center, then circle around and return to report anything he sees, not slowing down for any man that does not bare the badge of leadership of this place.
Don't forget Akira's Fast Healer for my wounds. Scout the town in one speedy ride in, and ride out IF and only IF Koshiro gives the okay.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

akarmicanomaly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by akarmicanomaly » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:57 pm

'œHai Akira-san.' Koshiro bows slightly to his yojimbo, accepting the wisdom of his companion's suggestion. Waiting for the response of the Empress he continues conversing with the gathered magistrates, focussing them on something other than the grim reality that surrounds them.

'œIt is my sincere hope time permits a visit to the temples here at Shiro sano Kakita. How would you spend your time Hideki-san?'

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 pm

The Falcon Samurai has been even more stoic than accustomed over the last days than usual. His entire torso has taken on a blueish purple tint from the impact of the Ogre's attack and while the Kuni has treated him as best he can he will need to see a priest soon if he is to get better.
The fact that they are now dependent on the hospitality of the Crane does not make him particularly optimistic that he can soon see a priest and instead spend more time in the saddle of his beast of burden.
Big Pimpin...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:16 pm

The Empress nods, even though they are only an hour away or so. It will give Akira-san time to scout.

Meanwhile, Akira rushes off toward the small town atop his steed.
I will continue Var's RP off screen
The Empress slides off her horse and immediately takes a seat, obviously she is no longer used to long trips such as this atop horseback.

"I am soft," she admits with a smile, "Too much politics and not enough war, I suppose."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Takeo also removes himself from his horse, chuckling dutifully. He sees assiduously to the needs of his steed; the animal has been kind to a rider ill-trained in cavalry actions.