The Seed of Strife (Azrael's Solo)

Wanderers and criminals from across the north of the Realms have been summoned to the blasted environs of the Moonsea's Thar badlands by a messenger promising work and money ..

Run by the DM Formosus.
Formosus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The Seed of Strife (Azrael's Solo)

Post by Formosus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:52 am

The naga chuckles, sounding for all the world like a doting grandfather who is about to give his grandson a piece of candy. "I'm sure you can guess in general what I want from you, Azrael, but I'll give you more information. I am actually someone's herald; my abbot may have more and better work for you, but he's asked me to come to you can offer you a 'test' to see if he wants to employ you further. Now, to head you off, you will be compensated for the test. We're not asking for any freebies."

Oswald shakes the barbed end of his tail, though it is difficult to discern what that means since Azrael is unfamiliar with the body language of nagas. In any event, Oswald takes a moment to catch his breath and clear his throat. "Any questions so far?" he asks the elf.
Sense Motive check 1d20+4-4 = 3 vs. DC 20. Failure. I decided to give you a penalty here due to Oswald not being a humanoid, it is harder to read his body language.
7. A spiritual creature is wholly simple in its essence. Yet there is still a twofold composition in the spiritual creature, namely, that of the essence with being, and that of the substance with accidents.

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:16 am

Azrael smiles in glee, and then quickly gets down to business. "Actually, one" he responds, "How much of a 'fun value' will this kill be? I mean, will it be a pleasurable, challenging kill, or just some old weakling human who made enemies of the wrong people?" He thinks for a second, and then adds, " How much exactly am I going to make from killing this damned one?"

Formosus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Formosus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 pm

Oswald clears his throat once again. "Well," he begins, offering Azrael a smile, "We actually have two marks. You can choose which one you would prefer. As for price, I have been authorized to pay you three hundred gold pieces, in the form of thirty platinum."

After he says this, the naga uncoils a bit, revealing that he had been hiding a bag in the middle of his body. Using his waving face tentacles, he opens the bag and withdraws two pieces of paper. He reaches out his head so that Azrael can take the papers from his tentacles. "Here are the dossiers on your choices," he says.
Dossiers will be sent via PM.
7. A spiritual creature is wholly simple in its essence. Yet there is still a twofold composition in the spiritual creature, namely, that of the essence with being, and that of the substance with accidents.

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:15 am

Azrael skims through both of them, but his interest seems mainly on the first one. He takes a long pause, and says, " Miron the Carpenter. I can see no greater opportunity to give pain than by destroying one desiring to bring joy. Though, is it okay if I keep the dossier of Pratt? I might need to pass the time someday."

Formosus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Formosus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 am

Oswald bobs his head, indicating a "yes" response. He seems a bit mystified that Azrael has not bickered over the price. "I will remain here, I suppose. The abbot did not give me a time limit, but I think that two weeks to complete the job is long enough."

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:53 am

Azrael nods his head, and then says, " Might I know the name of this abbot of yours? It's always nice to know who your employers are. References for a job well done and all of that. As you might notice from this ... domicile around me, I need a job. This job came at just the right time."

Formosus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Formosus » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:04 am

Oswald gives a little cough, his facial tentacles waving to and fro. "I'm afraid I'm not allowed to tell you until after you have completed the job. My master values his privacy, you see. For all intents and purposes, I am your employer for this job."

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Illeveun » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:13 am

"Ah, got it. Eh, It's not like I'm not used to it." Azrael sighs, and then, after sheathing his greatsword, turns around and walks out the door, waving his hand in farewell and saying, " I'll meet you here a week from now with Miron's head and the required information." He walks out of the inn, not paying any attention to Smesky, and out into the city. He starts walking to find Miron's place of business, with what might be characterized as a spring in his step.

Formosus
Level 4
Level 4

The Street of Splinters

Post by Formosus » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:23 pm

Azrael heads out of the inn. He has spent enough time in the city to know about the Street of Splinters; it is a place where a number of cheap carpenters live, providing the furnishings for the poor of the city. It is only about a five minute walk from the Knotty Pine.

The street itself is much like any other street in the slums; during the day it is fairly safe except for the occasional pick-pocket, but at night press gangs roam the streets, muggers come out in full force, and disease ridden prostitutes lurk in darkened doorways. It is about 6:00 in the evening, but thankfully it is still light at this time during the month of Elesias.

The assassin finds number 14 easily enough, it is one of those shoddy, gray-wooden townhouses so common in the bad parts of the city. It is too tall for its width, so it looks like it is about fall over at any moment (and indeed, they often do). The bottom floor has a sign outside depicting a wooden stool, indicating a furniture carpenter. The door is closed and the small window has the curtain drawn, indicating the shop is closed for the day. The upper level of the building is probably Miron's dwelling.
Kn (Local) check 1d20+5 = 23 vs. DC 10

Illeveun
Level 12
Level 12

Re: The Street of Splinters

Post by Illeveun » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:20 pm

Azrael knocks on the door and waits for Miron to answer, while putting on his best, cheerful, friendly face. He relaxes his body position and tries to look like a generally nice fellow.
Would it be disguise, bluff, disguise and bluff? Azrael will use whatever is pertinent