Musings of a Hermit

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Musings of a Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:25 am

Greetings and salutations to everyone. This isn’t so much something that I want to see come about immediately, but rather something that could be considered sometime in the future if the opportunity presents itself, time is freed up, the stars are in the right alignment, etc.

Currently as of this post I’m tied up in a few games as is, so I highly doubt I’ll be branching out too much any time soon; however for the longest time the notion of playing more than one game simultaneously was something I thought I’d not be able to do for years up until recently, so who knows?

Anyways, I’ve had some time to look back on my miniature library of RPG books I’ve accrued over the past decade and have wondered if there were any that might be of interest to anyone here on the forums or perhaps even to be done as a live session instead? Admittedly I’m not the greatest when it comes to advertising these things, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Thus far the ones that have I’ve been looking quite deeply into are as follows:

BLACK CRUSADE

I understand that there are a fair few 40k RPG threads that are active as of the time this post has been made. I’ve done some snooping about and have seen games done for Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Only War, even Deathwatch, but I’ve yet to come across any indication that Black Crusade has been attempted at all.

Now I realize that there are probably several reasons behind this, namely it’s an extremely difficult setting to do without it going down some extremely dark paths given the themes it covers. I agree with this to an extent and we could probably discuss the plethora of moral and philosophical dilemma’s that are rife in the 40k universe, but my point is this: It is my firm opinion that with the right combination of GMing and Players, Black Crusade can potentially tell a story every bit as compelling as those told from the perspective of the Imperium’s forces.

IRON KINGDOMS/UNLEASHED

Just to clarify, when I’m referring to this, I’m not talking about the D20 Adventure Path that would eventually spawn the setting with which the miniature skirmish wargame Warmachine/Hordes is played, but instead these:

http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms ... core-rules

http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms ... core-rules

It is my understanding that the rules and mechanics of the game borrow quite a bit from the mini-wargame (with a few embellishments here and there to make it more RPG friendly), so maybe it could potentially work quite well for a future Live Game Session?

CORVUS BELLI: INFINITY THE ROLEPLAYING GAME

This game is the exception in that it hasn’t come out yet, but I’m sold on it already just based on the plot and aesthetics of the setting alone:

http://www.modiphius.com/infinity.html

Well I think that covers most of the games I've been looking into for now.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10
Title: Subculture of One
User Class: Scum

Musings of a Hermit

Post by Aegor » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 am

Last one seems sweet, though I just glanced at it.
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Musings of a Hermit

Post by Scout89 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:19 pm

IRON KINGDOMS!!! Both PbP and Live!
A.K.A. Tvrod.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Musings of a Hermit

Post by TetNak » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:51 pm

I ran a Black Crusade game briefly. I really don't know much about Iron Kingdoms or CORVUS BELLI.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Musings of a Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Scout89 wrote:IRON KINGDOMS!!! Both PbP and Live!
@Scout89; Glad to see I've kicked up some enthusiasm.
Aegor wrote:Last one seems sweet, though I just glanced at it.
@Aegor; I've been trying to get into the mini-wargaming aspect of this game for a little while now and the setting described in the books is really quite interesting. If there's one aspect of this setting that I'm really excited about, it's the chance to pilot a T.A.G. (think of a mecha/mobile suit about twice to thrice the size of a man).
TetNak wrote:I ran a Black Crusade game briefly. I really don't know much about Iron Kingdoms or CORVUS BELLI.
@TetNak; Come to think of it, I actually vaguely remember you trying your hand at starting a Black Crusade campaign, but I'm guessing either it didn't lift off or last very long, did it? Perhaps there's a chance at a second shot somewhere down the line (You've definitely got a participant in me where Black Crusade is concerned)? As for the other two, just to clarify, Corvus Belli is the name of the company that created the Infinity game and setting. Anywho, I'm more than happy to explain more about the Iron Kingdoms and Infinity settings if you'd like?
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:10 pm

There was some player conflict due to some RL stuff that really derailed BC. Basically it just went down the tubes after that.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:34 pm

If the game is started during a time period when I actually have the free time to sit down and learn a new set of rules, I might be interested in Iron Kingdoms.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:42 pm

I rather like the look of Iron Kingdoms myself. I just hope and slightly fear that it might wind up becoming akin to Savage Worlds in the aspect of it being a tabletop miniatures game converted into tabletop roleplay. I sincerely hope they did a better job of ensuring this doesn't happen. I might try to snag a copy of the rules to check it out if time permits. So far however, it looks pretty wicked.

The Infinity setting looks intriguing as well, for the basis of a good space opera genre. Sadly, the rules themselves are as you put it, still not currently available.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:10 pm

TetNak wrote:There was some player conflict due to some RL stuff that really derailed BC. Basically it just went down the tubes after that.
@TetNak; That is a shame, I'm sorry to hear that. The concept I have in my head is of a Black Crusade campaign set on a Mad Max type of world where it's a constant battle for survival and resources (which there happens to be in the Screaming Vortex, called Messia). That or maybe a Penal World ala Escape from Butcher Bay.
Muskrat wrote:If the game is started during a time period when I actually have the free time to sit down and learn a new set of rules, I might be interested in Iron Kingdoms.
@Muskrat; Certainly, there's no pressure to see any of this come to fruition in the immediate future or anything. Just throwing out some hooks for a potential long haul, heh.
Eanwulf wrote:I rather like the look of Iron Kingdoms myself. I just hope and slightly fear that it might wind up becoming akin to Savage Worlds in the aspect of it being a tabletop miniatures game converted into tabletop roleplay. I sincerely hope they did a better job of ensuring this doesn't happen. I might try to snag a copy of the rules to check it out if time permits. So far however, it looks pretty wicked.

The Infinity setting looks intriguing as well, for the basis of a good space opera genre. Sadly, the rules themselves are as you put it, still not currently available.
@Eanwulf; I have no experience of the Savage Worlds system beyond seeing that it flopped rather spectacularly when it was implemented here for... Witcher I believe? That said, I'm not entirely sure how akin the Iron Kingdoms system would be in that regard, since I haven't actually played with the rules myself either, but it seemed fairly fun and entertaining based on some Youtube live sessions I saw posted by a user that goes by the name MechaGM.

And yes, sadly I'm no playtester, so the rules for the upcoming Infinity RPG remain unknown to me. The only certainty I know of is that it is supposed to utilize a 2d20 system.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:18 am

I am in an Iron Kingdoms game so no thanks.

Black Crusade. ..hell yeah. Count me in on that one.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring