VASSAL Board Game Engine

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

VASSAL Board Game Engine

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Anyone ever use this program? I see they have Dead of Winter, Twilight Imperium and MANY other modules already scripted for usage. Might be interesting to see if we couldn't come up with some online board games from time to time :)
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

VASSAL Board Game Engine

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:07 pm

I've heard its good for stuff. Never used it.

I use OCTGN for some card games.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

VASSAL Board Game Engine

Post by Hermit » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:55 pm

I briefly used it several years ago for the purposes of playing 40k tabletop. I'd say it's a useful program from what I can remember, though I can't say how much it's changed since I haven't used it in a very long time.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

VASSAL Board Game Engine

Post by TetNak » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm mucked around with it. I have a sizable board game group so I have played a lot. I own dead of winter, for instance and would love to play on vassel.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: VASSAL Board Game Engine

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:42 pm

I used to play the chit out of Twilight Imperium back in the day and have downloaded Dead of Winter if you want to try something with it tonight, etc.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:04 pm

I downloaded some stuff last night. Like I said, I know how to play Dead of Winter. We'll need 3 people, but I'm up for playing/recording for the YouTube channel.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm definitely down and would love even a 2-player tutorial if no one else joins. I even have tonight available to do so, etc. I love me some Zombies!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:25 pm

You could play two players, although secret missions and such would be messed up.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:41 pm

My main goal is simply learning how to use the software TBH. I've learned a lot just fumbling about but would love to make sure we truly know WTF we're doing before anybody starts trying to run stuff for any regularly mediated periods of time, etc.

I've noticed they even have old school Hero Quest and Talisman on the website as well as Dragon Dice!!! I also saw that Star Wars Skirmish game you guys are playing too, but think you need to own the game or something to use it. I might be confused however, one game I saw had blank cards and notations made that the module was designed for ppl owning the game to scan their own stuff to add images, etc. to the module in order to make it work.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:47 pm

I have no idea how the software works either.

Imperial Assault.