Punic Wars Game

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
WalterPeck
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Punic Wars Game

Post by WalterPeck » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:25 pm

A Roman Legatus or an Iberian Mercenary commander contracted through Carthage. Decisions, decisions...
Asad Uller - Blood for Gold, Brayden Weathers - Shattered Kingdoms, Marshal Buckler - War without End, Ragnar - Dawn of Days, Henry Mallister - Shattered Kingdoms

Italics = internal thoughts.

Put your weapon on happy and chamber a smile.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Shurijo wrote:
Olligarchy wrote:@Shurijo: In the less traditional group game the players ma choose to be anything from Prole Hastati in the Legions to Pro-Praetor of Messana with the choice of deciding if they want to always press for Roman/Punic goals or if they want to maybe play the sides against each other for their own gain. The goals are mostly up to players themselves, though obviously in the background there's always the Roman-Carthaginian war which may stir trouble even for players that try to avoid it.

What kind of information would you like? I am currently working on the forum and trying to gather my thoughts to explain my vision better, so questions always help!
I was thinking something of both. Maybe one group are politicians (Intrigue based) and are the ones debating whether or not to send reinforcements or increases taxes to pay for more military, etc. The ones back at the capitals/senates arguing/intriguing with generals, influential peoples. Which could be as deadly (or deadlier) as combat. Those outcomes might determine where the soldiers (combat based) are sent or whether or not they get help/reinforcements or not.

Would everyone be on the same side or split between the two?

Honestly, I haven't read/researched anything about the Roman-Carthaginian war and it's been decades since World History class, so I'll definitely need a refresher to get started/mindset.
That was my original-original-original idea actually... basically I meant to have four different player groups, all unable to directly interact with each other, with two intrigue based groups divvied up between the roman senate and the Carthaginian great houses, and another two 'legion' based ones fighting the actual war in Sicily where their reinforcements, supplies and such tend to be at the mercy of the "Senate" who have to funnel things there whilst playing at the game of politics and maintaining the rest of the Roman Republic.

My main problem with this is mostly the detached nature of the game as I'd basically be running four separate games which might well be a bit too much. :? Of course if I get some help from a Co-GM for example I could probably pull it off, but if not it will be easier for me to run just two games where the politics, trade and such can take place in Messana, Syracuse or other cities, with more martial minded players fighting the war.

And the division is one of the questions... @TetNak clearly prefers everyone to be on one (presumably Roman) side, where as my original concept had the possibility of players being Roman OR Carthaginian.
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Why not just have players create 2 PCs one for intrigue and one for combat. Then between 'chapters/sessions' you flip back and forth, that would allow for some fast-forwarding of time (for marching or debating) and allow the actions from combat/senate to be resolved to influence the next chapter.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Olligarchy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:58 pm

That -could- do it... what are the thoughts of the rest of you? Prefer two PC's divided into two sides or two characters on the same side?

As in do you want to maintain the "PVP" element, or simply divide up your time on one side?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:13 pm

Doesn't matter to me.

I think it depends on how many players you get. Will you have enough to do PvP?

I believe you'd need at least 8.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

WalterPeck
Level 12
Level 12

Post by WalterPeck » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:34 pm

I can always help if there are tedious parts. E.g. dice rolling for combat. Large unit warfare, etc.
Asad Uller - Blood for Gold, Brayden Weathers - Shattered Kingdoms, Marshal Buckler - War without End, Ragnar - Dawn of Days, Henry Mallister - Shattered Kingdoms

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 am

PRETTY COOL BROWSER GAME for those of you wanting to feel "Roman". Digging it so far.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Olligarchy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 pm

Those still interested should be able to find the game forum here.

WalterPeck
Level 12
Level 12

Post by WalterPeck » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:40 pm

It says I'm not authorized.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Olligarchy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Ah drat. Will need to wait for an Admin to make it visible I think...