World of Darkness anyone?

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: World of Darkness anyone?

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 pm

Damn, sounds like we're starting to get a party-level number of players interested. Color me surprised! I'll start putting together a Game Opening proposal. I've had some ideas for Mage campaigns running around my mind for years, but have mainly been confined to D&D games with my tabletop gaming friends.

And Hermit - you don't need to be particularly familiar with the Factions and world of Mage to start. I'm not going to assume everyone knows everything about the metaphysics, factions, and world. If you want, you could even be Faction-less, Awakened to magic alone and without a guide. So even in-character you'd be learning about the Mage World from a fresh viewpoint.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Sukrai
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sukrai » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:57 am

Yay! Looking forward to this!
I'm not suffering from insanity, I happen to like it!

OptimusReim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OptimusReim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:02 am

ManWithDoor wrote:Damn, sounds like we're starting to get a party-level number of players interested. Color me surprised! I'll start putting together a Game Opening proposal. I've had some ideas for Mage campaigns running around my mind for years, but have mainly been confined to D&D games with my tabletop gaming friends.

And Hermit - you don't need to be particularly familiar with the Factions and world of Mage to start. I'm not going to assume everyone knows everything about the metaphysics, factions, and world. If you want, you could even be Faction-less, Awakened to magic alone and without a guide. So even in-character you'd be learning about the Mage World from a fresh viewpoint.
What I always do when playing new games: take the newbie route in-game as well. In VtM iirc there is a benefit type thing (Merit?) you can take and the GM will help you along and tell you if what you're about to do is stupid :P

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:11 am

Ha! Yes, the "Common Sense" Merit. It has saved many a newbie from doing some nuts. Like "I'd like to try to Diablerize the Prince" or "I'm going to 'borrow' the Spellbook of the Archmagus". You know, bright ideas like that.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:35 am

ManWithDoor wrote:Damn, sounds like we're starting to get a party-level number of players interested. Color me surprised! I'll start putting together a Game Opening proposal. I've had some ideas for Mage campaigns running around my mind for years, but have mainly been confined to D&D games with my tabletop gaming friends.

Well, I suppose I could give it a shot if put in that context. Generally I prefer starting from a knowledgeable position, but then again you got to start from the beginning somewhere along the line. I will take what suggestions have been made concerning the newcomer aspect to all this, though I'd still very much like any information that can give me a foundation to work with pertaining to Mage in World of Darkness unless everyone thinks it preferable for me to approach this as though it were a blank canvas and I'm applying different strokes along the way.

In short, count me in as well. Besides, this is as good a chance as any to foment some form of consistency for World of Darkness on FotD potentially.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:34 am

Depending on what game and which version I might be in... most interested in Old Vampire, and definitely not interested in New Vampire as I feel it raped the game of all its fun fluff. :p
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

OptimusReim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OptimusReim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:49 am

Olligarchy wrote:Depending on what game and which version I might be in... most interested in Old Vampire, and definitely not interested in New Vampire as I feel it raped the game of all its fun fluff. :p
Old seems more interesting, but I like the tremere, so I'm conflicted :(

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:52 am

OptimusReim wrote:
Olligarchy wrote:Depending on what game and which version I might be in... most interested in Old Vampire, and definitely not interested in New Vampire as I feel it raped the game of all its fun fluff. :p
Old seems more interesting, but I like the tremere, so I'm conflicted :(
The Tremere are in the old one too. :P
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

Sukrai
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sukrai » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Personally, I look at the factions as more 'resources not solutions' kind of thing. You're not in an army, it's more a club that shares common interests with your character. You might work together for mutual gain, but that doesn't mean you don't act independent as well.

Personally I like to play a Verbena/Euthanatos mix for my character using the Old traditions, but like I said, I need to read up again on Awakening as well. If we Hunter though... Well, that one I'd prefer being factionless! At least at first. Endowments should be a personal thing after all. :P
I'm not suffering from insanity, I happen to like it!

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Alright, just to make it clear, I'm willing to GM a Mage game. It will use the Old World Traditions and world-view. I'm willing to be flexible on whether or not to use the Old World or New World rules. I heard something about a 20th Anniversary Edition as well, although I don't think I have a copy of that. I've generally found that Cross-System games (i.e. Mages + Vampires + Werewolves) are fun for one-shots or quick adventures, but more problematic for long-term campaigns. The different Powers tend to avoid each other, or fight heavily over contested resources. Hard for me to imagine a stable campaign with that mix.