Introducing "the Ring"

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Introducing "the Ring"

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:10 pm

The Ring is an RPG setting that has been spinning in my head for awhile. I used to do almost 100% homebrew campaigns until falling in love with ASOIAF several years ago. I want to return to that mold of gritty low fantasy.

Here's what I know so far.

The world is a perfectly flat circle. A ring, if you will. The outside of the ring is surrounded by a huge chasm where the bottom cannot be seen. There are four small 'bridges' which are no wider than an inch, that connect the Ring to somewhere else (maybe). No one has dared to cross the bridges and returned to tell the tale.

The Ring itself is made up of various sections which are also circular. The environment tends to be very similar even though part of the same ring might be further away from the next ring inward or outward. Much travel occurs circularly instead of direction inward or outward of the Ring itself.

In the center is some sort of huge monolith or maybe even a volcano. Likely most people don't really know. It is widely assumed that most of the evil comes from that place.

I also want to focus on a religion that believes that living is actually the 'hell'. That when you are alive, you are actually attempt to escape damnation. And if you don't, you're reborn -- something like that.

That's really all I have so far. I might put this down into the Workshop so we can collaborate. What does everyone think?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Daz318
Level 6
Level 6
User Class: Rogue

Introducing "the Ring"

Post by Daz318 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Sounds interesting, which system have you thought about using.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Introducing "the Ring"

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:49 pm

Daz318 wrote:Sounds interesting, which system have you thought about using.
That is a good question.

I have a couple options off the top of my head.

The first would be Chronicle. I know it very well. (Chronicle is ASOIAF if you didn't know). There's a magic module that is low enough in power that might work.

The next would be GURPS 4E. I know it okay. He seems to have universal hate on this website, however.

And finally I could use the same system (I don't know if it has a specific name) from Yggdrasill and Keltia.

I might make some modifications to each to fit the game itself. For instance, I really do love the traveling system of TOR. Traveling should not be easy. But as for know, I don't actually know.

Daz318
Level 6
Level 6
User Class: Rogue

Post by Daz318 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Well so far it sounds very interesting, depending on your time table and which system you do end up using i might be able to help, as long as i finish my little passion project that i am working on first.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Noble

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:19 pm

It sounds... intriguing, though isn't the fantastical world state a bit in conflict with gritty low fantasy? The closest I could come up with from the blurp is something like Numenera?
Reznak * Artys ** Henry ** Orin

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:22 pm

Not really. I mean, look at ASOIAF, the seasons are messed up, right? I mean, other than the actual topology of the Ring, there's nothing else about any magical nature.

Plus, Numenera has tech. Not really the same.

As far as other low fantasy elements -- we don't have them yet. I'm looking at a mix of ASOIAF, LOTR and Conan.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:37 pm

So midgets with hairy feet singing about the myth of steel?

I'm in.

And I was mostly referring to the cosmology of it being 'hell'.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Haha. Well, not specifically hobbits and followers of Set.

Really, we're talking about ... I can't remember the name exactly. But it was a sec of Catholicism back in the day and was the basis for the Red Religion in ASOIAF.

Olligarchy
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Olligarchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:41 pm

Cathars? They have some similarities yeah, though Zoroastrianism seems a better fit in my opinion.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:42 pm

I think Zoro... is it.