Any interest in another Star Wars game? (Jedi)

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Any interest in another Star Wars game? (Jedi)

Post by Shurijo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Okay. I've been jonesing for a Star Wars game for a while now, so I'm wanting to start one up.

My concepts:
  • A "force-centric" campaign (doesn't exclude non-FS, just there will be some lightsabers, relics, etc.)
  • Set in High Republic (about 150 years before prequels, so Yoda is there, but not any other known Jedi), which means there's thousands of Jedi and no oppressive galactic government, but lots of pirates, criminal syndicates, Hutts, and even more scum and villainy in Outer Rim
  • Players can start as Jedi initiates and go through the Jedi Trials to become padawans in session 1 and build a lightsaber in session 2, or start as a Jedi Knight (optionally 1 Jedi Master, if the entire group are Jedi)
  • Non-Jedi careers can still be Jedi, part of the Jedi Service Corps (Jedi medical doctors, researchers, explorers, etc.) If you're unfamiliar with Jedi Service Corps, then it will be explained (you'd basically spec as FS with some points, but main career would be doctor or whatever), you can go into Service Corps or after before Jedi Trials or Lightsaber building (at any time after Jedi Initiate). Some Jedi Medic Corps members skipped the combat training and Jedi Trials and went straight into Service Corps after they finished Jedi Initiate (the "younglings" schooling)
  • Bounty Hunters will have amble opportunities, but will need to work their way up the ranks to quality to join the Guild (details will be posted), you'd start out as a nobody doing freelance until you get enough acquisitions or sponsorship
  • Players can also start out as any career, but will need to work with me to integrate it into the story/PCs
  • Lots of ideas and concepts will come from The Jedi Path, The Sith Handbook, and the Bounty Hunter Code (fine books with lots of great lore)
I have a major theme/plot in my head, but I don't have individual sessions/adventures worked out completely yet (other than padawan sessions and a Jedi). Once I have a feel for how many people and what careers, then I'll start work on the specific sessions.

Session 1 will (most likely) be individual threads so we can get the game moving a bit faster than group play. However, the threads will (most likely) get grouped into at least 2 threads for Session 2 (most likely Jedi and non-Jedi).

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:52 am

Which system are you leaning toward?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 am

Sorry, forgot to mention the system. I'm leaning towards FFG SWRPG. If the group doesn't like FFG and prefers a d20 game, then we can look at SW5e (https://sw5e.com).

Also, if anyone is new to the system, then going the Padawan route would be a good introduction to how the rolls work.

And those who are very familiar with the system would be eligible to be a Jedi Master, if enough players were Jedi.

SUBJECT TO CHANGE
  • Jedi Padawan characters would start out with base XP/chargen, and take Jedi Padawan career
  • Jedi Knight characters would build a Padawan character using base XP/chargen, then get +150 points to put into Jedi Knight career (can also spend points on more Padawan talents, but would need at least 1 Jedi Knight talent)
  • Jedi Master characters (same as Jedi Knight, then get +50 more points to put into Jedi Master, Knight, or Padawan talents)
  • Jedi Service Corps characters will work like Jedi Knights (base char gen Padawan), and spend the +150 on non-Jedi talents (post char gen). However, if Jedi Service Corps characters want the "padawan" title and lightsaber, then they would start out same as Padawan and spend game earned XP towards their non-Jedi career.
  • Bounty Hunters and such will use base char gen and maybe a bit more (not sure yet, maybe same as Jedi Knight)
Notes - Padawans are less likely to die, Jedi Masters are more likely to die. Others are average/typical death rates... So if you go the Master route, just be aware that your students may need to avenge you. Jedi Masters will get less XP from games, Padawans will get more XP from games, etc.

The reason the bonus XP is post-char gen, is because it's cheaper to buy some things during char gen and +150 during initial char gen would actually be a lot more points than 150. So we'll build a base character and then spend the +150 after char gen, so that those bonus points are spent like if they were earned in-game.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:12 pm

I'm interested. And I'm good with FFG, but I could roll with the D&D5E hack if more people are comfortable with it. The Jedi Service Corps sounds like a fun concept. Is that canon from the new video games (?) set in the High Republic, or something you made up, Shuirjo?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:38 pm

The Jedi Service Corps is canon. I learned about it in The Jedi Path book, but it's been around a lot longer than that. I can post more info about it tomorrow - there's probably some well known Jedi listed in wookipedia. Also, many of the initial survivors of the Jedi Purge were Service Corps Jedi stationed throughout the galaxy.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 pm

Excerpt from The Jedi path
Grand Master Fae Coven wrote: You have all pledged to serve the Republic, and the members of the Jedi Service Corps are no less Jedi than those who roam the stars to defend the weak. If you are not taken on as an apprenticed Padawan, a position in the Agricultural corps or the Education Corps will allow you to continue to follow the principles you have sworn to hold and serve the Republic as you have vowed.
Gal-Stod Slagitrough, Agricorps Jedi wrote: The Jedi Service Corps is an honorable alternative for any graduating Initiate, and he or she should be proud to serve among its ranks.

The Jedi Service Corps consists of four branches: the Agricultural Corps, the Medical Corps, the Educational Corps, and the Exploration Corps.
There's 1-3 pages of information per branch that I can help expand on if needed. The Medical or Exploration Corps would seem the easiest to integrate into an adventure. The other 2 branches seem a bit difficult to put into an adventure.

An interesting concept that I've been thinking is a Jedi that took a vow of non-violence (maybe species/faith/planet related?) so they go through the Jedi Initiate training (younglings) to learn mediation and how to control their power, but then go into Medical Corps. There's an example or two like this in the book - where a certain species is Medically inclined and Jedi from that species goes straight to Corps without ever going through the Jedi Trials (which, when passed, you're given the rank of Padawan). Most Jedi in Corps just use the title of "Jedi", but there's some Jedi Knights and Jedi Masters within the ranks as well.

Another idea that came to me is a Jedi archaeologist hunting down Force related artifacts and relics for the council/corps. Maybe the archaelogist just wasn't good at lightsaber combat, so they failed the trials and rather than take a second attempt they joined the corps. (Could be like Indiana Jones and prefer blasters over swords)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 am

The Jedi Service Corps makes a lot of sense and makes the Jedi more interesting. It's a pity it's never been worked into any of the media I've seen. One could probably come up with reasons for a traveling member of the Agricultural or Education Corps, but Medical and Exploration do make the most sense.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:25 am

How about this for an idea? A character who flunked out of Jedi Knight training, not because a lack of martial or Force ability, but a lack of self-discipline. The Jedi Order considered sending him home, but decided he'd just make trouble, so they shunted him off into the Exploration Corps. He now styles himself a Jedi Adventurer, which he claims is much better than a Jedi Knight.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:22 am

Muskrat wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:25 am
A character who flunked out of Jedi Knight training, not because a lack of martial or Force ability, but a lack of self-discipline.
"Control, control! You must learn control!"

I've said before that I vastly prefer Fantasy Flight's system to others. My second choice would be Saga. But I would also be willing to try the 5e conversion, provided I don't have to spend money. :P

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:21 am

The 5E version is a free fan hack. But I also think Saga is a pretty good system and would be willing to play that, though I too prefer the FFG system.