On Dragons

A place for the Vworld GMs to talk and make sure they don't accidentally break someone's setting.
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

On Dragons

Post by Bitom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:08 am

Bitom ah... crap... you had to involve dragons, now we need to talk
od are we? you and me? or me, you, var, and tet?
Bitom start with you and me.... I was planning to have some effect on the nature of dragons on vWorld... didn't know anyone was planning to use them. Mine is the only mention of a dragon in the entire setting until now
Bitom mine deals with only one particular dragon currently
Bitom basicly, I don't like the "Dragons: color coded for your convenience" thing
od ah, so you jsut want alignment to not be based on type
or..is it more than that
like, strength is not based on type
Bitom pretty much. I probably would have blurred the lines between the types.
od not a problem
currently the big thing I am sticking with is "White dragons like snow"
Bitom Example: the giant reddish-brown thing might not be evil... it also might not breathe fire.
od that's fine...I still think whites are artic and greens are forest though
and bronze=desert
od cause things that live in those places are those colors

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: On Dragons

Post by Bitom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:09 am

From V before forum created wrote:I agree with Dave on the nature of the environment of the things.

Green are forest/jungle, white are arctic, etc.

There are about 40 different types of dragons if you use all the various books and Dragon Mags. Something out of them has to be useable.

I am totally fine with dragon color not determining alignment. Just like any creature it can be good or evil based on role play and situation, etc, not just genetics.

As far as a Red Dragon doesn't breath fire'¦I don't know. Seems like the point of a Red Dragon is to be the fire breathing one, a white is frost, etc.

FYI: I also plan on using a dragon in Maha, just didn't want to pit 3rd level guys against it.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:12 am

I do not have any plans for dragons in IoB or WG.

I do believe it is simpler to have the color match their abilities as per the Monster Manuals, mainly because its just easier that way.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:17 am

My point on the "Red dragon not breathing fire" thing

I hate the color coding. I don't want every dragon that breathes fire to be bright red and evil. Bright red is a stupid color for a predator. why are they red? because fire is red, and the guys who wrote D&D color-coded their dragons.

I'm totally cool with white dragons living in the arctic and green dragons living in the jungle. But why should there not be any fire-breathing dragons in the desert, just because we've decided that copper is the closest to sand color?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:22 am

Actually, Zakhara is void of Dragons, save for the Vishaps (which I claim!).

I think we should talk about the nature of dragons, what they really are, society, etc.

I have always enjoyed running them as a more solitary super rare (and super powerful) race. vWorld is not Dragonlance, and dragons should be kept to a minium.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:28 am

I very much agree. I've pretty much assumed that Dragons were so rare on vWorld that most people don't even believe that Rema was destroyed by one.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:29 am

What about Dragon races mixed with lesser races, such as what's happening in HL?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:59 am

I have no issue with it.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:00 pm

I agree on the rareness thing. Dragon's are the stuff of legends, and most folks don't really believe they exist.

As far as half dragons...the general premise of them (from DnD) mostly stems from the abilities of Silver and Gold dragons to polymorph themselves. Evidently dragon blood is so powerful, that if they sire a child, even polymorphed, the child may eventually become a half dragon. And also may likely become a sorceror.