The nine stars

A place for the Vworld GMs to talk and make sure they don't accidentally break someone's setting.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The nine stars

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:51 am

Everything is set up already that everything starts in IoB. The stars might take hours to cross the sky, not seconds. As the world turns, they move across it, one drops out into the Divine Mountains and then later one falls into Maz. By the time the one in Maz hits, its day in IoB.

I was fairly clear on this when we were talking about the stars the first time Tet. I'm not sure why this is an option, you simply could not lay claim to any of the stars such as one landing in IoB.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 am

Bit you mean

"The only way this is possible is if they travel across the sky in a generally northwestern direction (More west than north.) "

Not East.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:58 am

The stars taking hours appeases my brokenness on night/day. Also...it's kind of how I pictured them anyway.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:09 am

Firstly.

Please show me where this is all written down? You guys are even contradicting yourselves. Just because it is in your guys' minds about where it originated from, etc, I cannot be expected to know exactly what's in there.

Secondly,

Var, when we spoke, I had this exact idea. Therefore I am going to have to say I'm not dumb enough to come to that conclusion when you told me specifically not to have a star crash there.

Thirdly,

The theory that another country, far away or not, cannot see the same exact thing (or nearly) in the sky as they fall from the heavens is kinda ridiculous. I can look at the same star you can. I know this is not Astronomy 101, but you tell me what the stars are then, if they are not some sort of fragment of solid substance by the time they reach Vworld. One slammed into Aratta after all.

Fourthy,

The 'sixth' star is an arbitrary number. I can change that. If they start in IoB, which really I only was aware of during Var's last big Maha post, then the first one can hit. This has nothing to do with anything else as they can be seen falling from other locations NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE. You cannot see them land or as they get closer to impact, but someone in Ar can look up in the night's sky and see a star falling. Its the heavens for a reason.

Lastly,

So if I change 6th to 1st, will that appease everyone?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:10 am

Actually, it could be one of the first couple, as there is lots of ocean between IoB and Maz.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:11 am

I found the origin:

[12:16] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "Oh, Var, I wanted to ask you"
[12:16] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "Do you know exactly what the fallen stars are?"
[12:16] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "and where they fall?"
[12:16] Vardaen: I know where 2 fall
[12:17] Vardaen: The other 7 just pass out of sight of the world
[12:17] Vardaen: One falls in Maz, shattering a ziggurat and releasing one of the trapped Warrior Gods or somethin like that
[12:17] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "Can I borrow on of the stars please? :)"
[12:18] Vardaen: They are first seen in WG, and move westwards around the globe, one falls early, the other in Maz, one could fall AFTER Maz into ioB I guess
[12:19] Vardaen: I just didn't want to see too much of the same thing you know. 3 stars fall, do something similar in 3 diff settings, is kind of not so great.
[12:19] Vardaen: I guess if the plan is really cool, one could
[12:20] Vardaen: I was thinking that the Stars actually fell starting at iob. They came out of the constallation of the beast, and moved from there. Like iob was the source not the destination
[12:21] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "What do you mean. Constallation of the beast? Source of what?"
[12:21] Vardaen: I don't know what they are. They could be the Kami ;)
[12:21] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "its not going to be something pyhscail that smashes into anything, I can tell you that"
[12:22] Vardaen: In the sky, there is a constellation, called The Beast. Its made up of 9 stars. All 9 of them fall, the constellation vanishes as the 9 stars fall from it
[12:22] Vardaen: That was one of my ideas for them
[12:23] Vardaen: Ok that' cool tet, you can 'have' one of them then. I just was trying to not be redundant with stars hitting the planet
[12:24] Bitom: Yeah. Sorry about being redundant there... but I couldn't have that coolness restricted to Way's dead setting
[12:25] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "I agree with Bit"
[12:25] MUSH: Tet'Nak says, "Not that I want ot have a star smash something. But that is pretty cool in general, and I wouldn't worry about Maz since its totally irrelevant"
[12:26] Vardaen: Yeah Bit no worries with you
[12:26] Bitom: I actually plan to re-involve Maz if Ar goes on long enough.... although it may get a significant re-write

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:15 am

Was there discussion after this? I know Var and I actually had a private chat. Its totally possible that I /am/ that retarded, though.

I still stick by, other than that, what I said before. Though, in all reality, I do not need it to be a physical landing, or not a complete one of stars.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:19 am

Not to interject but...as the thing in IoB is clearly not a physical star...Couldn't it be quite possible that the Stars weren't in fact the 'THING' so to speak, but whatever it was that was previously keeping the 'THING' from coming to IoB?

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:20 am

TetNak wrote:Firstly.

Please show me where this is all written down? You guys are even contradicting yourselves. Just because it is in your guys' minds about where it originated from, etc, I cannot be expected to know exactly what's in there.
Done... and also, it's in the timeline. I started this thread because that obviously wasn't clear enough because we have confusion.
TetNak wrote: Secondly,

Var, when we spoke, I had this exact idea. Therefore I am going to have to say I'm not dumb enough to come to that conclusion when you told me specifically not to have a star crash there.
No comment, read the log.
TetNak wrote: Thirdly,

The theory that another country, far away or not, cannot see the same exact thing (or nearly) in the sky as they fall from the heavens is kinda ridiculous. I can look at the same star you can. I know this is not Astronomy 101, but you tell me what the stars are then, if they are not some sort of fragment of solid substance by the time they reach Vworld. One slammed into Aratta after all.

Fourthy,

The 'sixth' star is an arbitrary number. I can change that. If they start in IoB, which really I only was aware of during Var's last big Maha post, then the first one can hit. This has nothing to do with anything else as they can be seen falling from other locations NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE. You cannot see them land or as they get closer to impact, but someone in Ar can look up in the night's sky and see a star falling. Its the heavens for a reason.
Vworld is round. if something falls from the sky and hits IOB, there is no way that it can be seen in AR. what is "Up" in IOB is "Down" in AR They are very nearly on completely opposite sides of the world

TetNak wrote: Lastly,

So if I change 6th to 1st, will that appease everyone?

it depends on where that constellation is in the sky, which is up to V.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:22 am

if the "Thing" wasn't a star hitting, I'm fine.

I said it "looked like" one hit... and I wanted to make sure that we didn't break consistancy, so I started the thread.