Port Wreck: Hangar Charlie

Transitional periods are always ripe with opportunities for those who want to seize them. Such is a time, with the Vilani in serious decline and the Terran Confederation on the rise. Mercenaries, Freebooters, smugglers and bounty hunters all busy as can be. A GURPS 4E Game.

Run by GM Grimathor
Grimathor
Level 9
Level 9

Re: In the Booter's Bay

Post by Grimathor » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:16 pm

The man very nearly bolts to the door as he assaulted with the barrage of questions, he stammers " He..he was delayed and he sent me in his place. He told me where you would be and there would be two of you. Time did not permit a more detailed meeting but he gave me this, for you."

He reaches, slowly, into his jacket and retrieves a ring.

The ring is something Eric immediately recognizes as his uncle's naval academy ring

"He told me to give it to you, and that you were to return it to him once you caught this terrorist. I can not go into details as to why he isn't here, suffice to say it is extremely important and time sensitive. The facade was necessary as we believe his current mission and this terrorist's activities are related."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 am

Eric takes the ring and examines it carefully. As he does so, he can't help but glance at his own Academy ring, and just how fiercely he'd fight to keep it from being stolen.

"Okay," he says at last, pocketing the ring. "I'll assume my uncle had his reasons." He glances over at Ted for confirmation and continues.

"What's the pay?" he asks, moving on to business. "And what about expenses? To be honest, you haven't given us much to go on. So I can't say I'm hopeful about our chances of finding him. All we have are a couple of aliases and a fuzzy picture to go on, and a whole system to search. I'm not too keen on spending time and money on a fruitless search if that means we're just throwing money down a black hole."

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Ted is busy trying to put the exploded sugar container back together and scooping the sugar back into it.

He lets Eric exaimine the ring and doesn't really take more than a passing glance at it, noting the similarity between the rings. Eric seems to have made a call that the ring is good and that is good enough for Ted. He listens while the other man is allowed to continue.

Grimathor
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Grimathor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Nodding in agreement, the man continues "I know that I haven't given you much, but this man is a ghost. As to expenses your uncle said that he trusts you, whatever you use he will recompense. For the pay, that also will be negotiated with your uncle. Although I can say he understands the nature and difficulty of this mission so that will definately factor into your favor."

Taking a drink, he asks "So what do you think?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:25 pm

"Well," Eric replies, "I'm not sanguine about our chances of success. But I suspect we'll be willing to give it a try. If you'd give us a moment to talk privately," he glanced back to Ted, "we can let you know for certain."

Grimathor
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Grimathor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Nodding, he takes his drink and heads over to the bar to stand while the two converse.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:56 pm

"It's not much to go on," Eric says quietly to Ted, " but if our contact is legit I'm sure we can get my uncle to at least pay our docking fees while we look for this guy.And we were planning on staying here for a week anyway to give you enough time to give Sir Francis a check up."

Eric pulls the ring from his pocket. "This certainly looks like my uncle's ring. And it's just the sort of thing he'd send if there were a last minute change of plans. It certainly could have been stolen. But I think we're better off assuming not for the time being."

"So what do you think?" He concludes. "Fancy a little bounty hunting?"

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:16 pm

Ted nods his head to Eric's statements. "All very true."

He peers up and over at the bar and the man standing there. "Something doesn't sit right... and I don't know what it is."

He looks back to the man sitting across from him. "Could be an interesting change of pace. Besides... if you start thinking along the lines where that was stolen, you won't like where the path takes you. So I agree, best to assume it is all on the up and up for now."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:06 pm

"Okay, so it's agreed," Eric says with a nod. "We take his job, but we keep our eye on him. In the end if we catch the guy we can always find a Navy vessel to turn him over to."

Eric turns to face their contact and is about to give him a wave to return to the table when he has a second thought. Instead he pulls his palm computer out.

"Hello ALEC," he says, activating the voice recognition software. "Please run a database search on the man in this picture." He angles the computer so it's internal camera catches a look at their contact. "Also see if any public records of new arrivals on the station match his description." For ease of search, Eric reels off a quick description of the man. Also check for him in any public databases of known Navy officers. Hold results for my request."

Then, his small efforts at checking this guy made, Eric puts the computer away and waves their contact over.
I still have to post the details of the computer. But it has security software. I figure that might do it for this request. Either way, I'm basically looking for some of the low-hanging fruit here. I realize that the comp on its own won't get the really juicy stuff.
So I guess we're back down to two again?

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:43 pm

Ted grins as Eric begins speaking with ALEC.

"Man, I wish mine would do that." He pats his chest pocket where his own beat up machine resides. "Not that I'm complaining or anything."

His eyes roam towards the recently reconstructed sugar canister, but for now he leaves it alone.
I dunno... I thought that there was some talk about the 3rd showing up later in the scene, but I can't find it now...