OOC forum for On The Fly
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Channel Chatter

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:53 pm

My general idea is a character who went through the Terran Naval Academy and possibly served in special forces (we've got the points to warrant that). So I'm figuring that regardless of his official specialty, he definitely had some cross-training.

FWIW, I figure that with the jump time involved in space travel, there's plenty of justification for that kind of cross-training.

Grimathor
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Grimathor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:03 pm

Yeah 300 CP is supposed to represent experienced folks, so a former specs ops types works very well.

Ideally though Id like five or six, since that is half of the standard crew. Three is a bit small, I might have to NPC a couple till we can get some more players.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:23 pm

300 CP is plenty of points. With that I'm pretty sure I can have 18 at all relevant flying skills and a weapon skill ... There aren't a lot of advantages to take for mundanes, so most will be eaten up on skills/attributes...
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Grimathor
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Grimathor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:27 pm

If one of you wants to a "tinkerer" type I will give a little leeway on advs that can be explained via gear.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 pm

Where do you stand on advantages bought with points (representing gear we have) and items we just plain buy?

For example, I could take the advantage Doesn't Breathe, defined as a small re-breather, having the limitations: hold breath 50x normal (-40%), takes recharge - 5x normal use (-20%), breakable - DR 6 (-10%). Total cost: 20 - 14 (70%) = 6 points.

Or I could just buy one with cash.

I know which is more appealing...

In fact, the book notes that:
In particular, the GM should never charge points for ordinary, manufactured equipment - or even for special equipment, if it is for sale - unless it happens to be Signature Gear (p. 85). Body armor, a rifle, and night-vision goggles effectively bestow Damage Resistance, Innate Attack, and Infravision, respectively . . . but since anyone could buy these items, they have a cash cost, not a point cost.
So were you thinking that we could use gear to buy things not generally available on the market? If so, what sorts of things might we have available?

Also, I assume since they're bought with points, even if they're lost/broken/stolen they can be replaced in time.

Grimathor
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Grimathor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Yeah I am referring to "custom" stuff.

Anything custom would be bought with pts and can be replaced. I could even go as far as create an NPC who perhaps you give a lot of business to, gear wise.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:22 pm

Maybe its just because I seem to like to start games off as low leveled/powered guys and work up ...

But doesn't 300 seem way too high?

I can raise all my base attributes and get skills for nothing ...
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:49 pm

The book calls 100-200 typical for career adventurers.

300 would make us elite adventurers.

FWIW, at 300 points, I suspect I'll take in the range of 50-60 points of disads. Yea, I could take more. But beyond 50 or 60 points, I really feel they aren't worth it.

Grimathor
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Grimathor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Well in part, I gave you 300 pts so you wouldnt really "need" to take any disadv if you didn't want to, but whatever you decide is fine.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:33 am

Are we TL 10 or TL 11?

From the book it seems like Terra went from TL 10 to TL 11 in the 2230s and 2240s. Since we're in the 2280s, it seems like we're solidly in TL 11.

Is that right?