Chapter 1: Imperial Duty

Agents of the new Empire travel to the far reaches to bring Imperial Peace and Law to the rebellious region. It is actually set in an alternate timeline version than the new offical Wang Guo. - Run by TetNak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri May 25, 2007 7:50 pm

The day is hot and humid. The southern provinces of the Empire often are just that in the summer, and today is no exception. The sun is slowly making its way to the zenith, but morning has not totally abandoned Zhang Chang Sheng below it.

Today has started much like any other day in the fortress of Zhen Pao Tai. The garrison remains full, patrolling the town which has formed outside the fort, and tending to hundreds of other duties that are crucial to the Imperial control of this province. The town is filled with merchants, mostly, eager to make some coin on the Imperial presence here. They sell everything from textiles to grain, and have traveled all the way from the Imperial Province to do so. The streets are busy even in the early hours of the day, making this place a very profitable, yet small, spot of habitation far from the Empire's center of power.

The large wooden building set in the center of Zhen Pao Tai is the Office of the Ministry of War. The building does little for ascetics, but indeed can house many rooms serving a likewise great variety of purposes. Inside the center most room is an audience and meeting chamber. A large red and brown rug is neatly placed in the center of the floor, and atop it a equally large table. And upon that table are a series of maps, held down by pewter figurines of horses, men, and the like. They represent armies, apparently, as a general would make his plans such. In the four corners of the room are four men, holding overly large fans, and in unison push them down and pull them up, helping to cool the room.

Standing at the table is Guan Ci, Lower General of the Imperial Army and Commander of Zhen Pao Tai. He is nearing his forties now, and was heavy involved in the war efforts. He led much of the invasion of Zhang Chang Sheng, and is not well liked by the local populace because of it. His head is shaven bald, but still holds a van dyke mustache and beard. Currently, he is dressed in a blue and red silken robe, with a gold belt, a symbol of his rank.

Next to the general is Cao Ping, Guan Ci's adviser, and spiritual guide to the Shen. Ping is old, in his sixties at least, with long, flowing, white hair and a clean shaven face. His skinny frame is covered, likewise, by a robe, but of solid black in color ....
Welcome to the game! One more post coming!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri May 25, 2007 8:11 pm

*** Wu Fong ***

Summoned to the Ministry of War recently, the Imperial Magistrate has longed to be assigned a worthy task. Mostly untested, the man has been assigned here, to Zhen Pao Tai, and wishes to prove his mettle.

*** Seikichi Kuba ***

Standing not far from the general and his adviser is an Imperial Scribe. Seikichi Kuba keeps records. He is gifted with map making, and reading, but mostly is used to document the histories of the newly founded Empire. Most magistrates are assigned a scribe, so their work can be documented for their own superiors, but Kuba is currently not assigned to anyone as of yet.

*** Shing Lin ***

Another Jiao Tu (Priest) stands at the rear of her master, Cao Ping. She is called Shing Lin, and was ordered here by Cao Ping to speak of her new duties. She waits silently.

*** He Da Wan ***

One of the general's men, He Da Wan, a Jing Guan (sergeant) in the Imperial Army also inhabits the room. The man knows the surrounding areas well and was invited here the same as others, to learn of their new duties.

*** Han-Kang Fu ***

Lastly, another of the general's men, Han-Kang Fu, stands in the room looking on. He has been seen with the general himself, but is not attached to any brigade in the Imperial Army. He stands there solemnly, listening and waiting.
Okay guys! Feel free to post! Please post your descriptions, etc, and we'll be underway! thanks!
Last edited by TetNak on Sat May 26, 2007 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Chapter 1: Imperial Duty

Post by Bitom » Fri May 25, 2007 10:50 pm

Seikichi Kuba is far from his home on the island province of Sheng Daun Qiao. But in the service of the emporer, scribes are not often stationed near to home. It is believed that being in familiar surroundings will distract them, or worse, cause them to omit small details that they feel are obvious from their histories.

Coming from the island, his features are more angular than is typical of the empire, and his nose is quite long. However, he has adopted the mainland's habit of clothing and hairstyle, growing his hair long and keeping it tied at the nape of his neck. His robe is of simple cloth but startling in color. Imperial red is the dominant theme, marking him painly as an imperial servant. Where a rich or important man would have gold trim and decoration, Kuba has simple yellow. This, if nothing else, marks him as low level and unimportant. He carries no weapons, nor doe he look as if he would know what to do with them if he were given one.

Pen, ink, and parchment are held at the ready in case he is asked to serve, but for now, he is doing nothing and standing far behind the important pair, against the wall, listening and examining the map from a distance.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat May 26, 2007 12:59 am

Standing behind the old white haired Cao Ping is a woman that is stark contrast to the man. She is young where is he old, she is rather heavy set and stout where he is thin and whispy. She is the Ying to his Yang, or perhaps the other way around. Regardless the woman stands as still as a mountain, her hands folded into the extravagantly long sleaves of her red silken kimono. Her wide yellow obi wraps around her waist where two scroll satchels hang from either side of it both filled with ofudas. If one was to look behind the woman, they would also see a Duan Jian tucked into the knot there running up her spine more like an ornament than a useful weapon forcing her to have good posture.

Her face is wide, her features both overfull and flatter than most. She wears red makeup on her lips and violet paint on her eyelids, and stands with her eyes closed, listening, not looking at anything in the room. Her hair looks like it has never been cut in her 20 years of life, the raven tresses pulled back in a top knot that hangs down past her knees and nearly to the ground with a wide looping set of bangs over her brow. In her hair she wears four long hair pins, ornate with pieces of jade and ivory, that hold up her bangs and keep them from her face. She stands without a word, with her eyes closed, and with a serene peace to her.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue May 29, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Mon May 28, 2007 11:40 pm

Standing near the general is Han-Kang Fu, his simple features give him away as being of less then noble stock. He is above average in both height and build for residents of Wang Guo, simple utilitarian earth-tone brown and green clothing drape in places over his armor. A standard set of leather scale matched with protective set of datsana's. He sweats in the heat, despite the fans in the room. He makes no indication of discomfort but a sheen of moisture covers his brow. He has no trouble however with his hair, it is pulled back in a functional pony tail, allowed to grow no further then his shoulders.

He carries arms as a soldier might, an excellent Wo Dao hangs from one hip, and a Duan Jian from the other. He carries no other equipment as of yet.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Tue May 29, 2007 7:29 pm

He De Wan stands off to the side standing at soldiers attention. On his back a quiver is snuggly secured with arrows and a short bow poking out of it. He wears tight leather armor covered with fabrics of various yellows, grays and browns that appear garishly out of place within the confines of the room. On his head he wears a leather skull cap with his hair tucked up inside it. His stance is poised, as though he were prepared to run out the door and sprint to the far sides of the empire if that is the command about to be given. The last thing of note about him are his eyes, which look steadily ahead at the officer before him, barely moving to look at the other in the room.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 29, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm assuming that more formal attire is appropriate for such a summons. If not, I'll amend to describe a working outfit.
Wu Fong wears a set of blue magistrate's court robes with a bright yellow sash for his summons. The robes are new and simple, showing both his relatively low status as a magistrate and his newness in the job. But they are very well tailored. He knows that it would be considered impertinent to wear robes more elaborate than he's earned. But he also knows that even in the simplest of courts, people pay attention to what you wear.

Fong is young and athletic, with short black hair cut in a military style and piercing brown eyes. He has an air of confidence about him, the sort that makes people listen to what he has to say. He stands off to the side of the room, awaiting his formal summons to address General Zhen. He is eager to hear what tasks the general has to give him. But he is also careful to keep his face a mask of indifference. For it is never wise to let your true feelings be known in open court.
Say, V, can you look through your L5R cards to see if you can find a good match for Wu Fong? I seem to have misplaced my cards. ;-)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue May 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Guan Ci looks around, his eyes finally fixating on the magistrate, Wu Fong. The pleasantries have already be dealt with, or lack thereof, "I have a mission for you, for all of you." He nods to the map on the table, indicating everyone should come near.

"Magistrate Wu," he starts, "You are no doubt aware of our recent mining operation nearby. Slaves have been imported from the northern provinces and put to work. Unfortunately we have encountered a problem." The general points to the map, showing the location of the mine and the nearby village, Ban Gang. "We have reports that the foremen of the mine and all overseers have been killed." The frowns, "The Emperor will be very displeased if order is not restored quickly."

The general takes a deep breath, "I have decided a smaller group should be sent to settle the unrest. Unfortunately, this village, Ban Gang, is responsible for much of our crops used to feed this garrison. Provoking unrest there by sending a detachment of the garrison would be unwise considering the tensions as they already are .... we would like you to lead this small group." The general looks up at Fong then back to the map, "I have prepared everything. Your scribe, detachments from the garrison, a spiritual adviser, and my own personal liaison." He indicates Han-Kang Fu with a quick wave of the hand.

"Now," he starts anew, "It is likely the bakemono have far greater the number than you will, so all out attack is a poor choice. I wish you to end this problem by killing or capturing, which is preferred, their leader. Unfortunately I have no intelligence to suggest what lousy bakemono that is." He clears his throat, standing straight, "I suggest using the village, quietly mind you, as your base of operations." With the duty set to his subordinates, General Guan waits for their replies.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 29, 2007 11:56 pm

Wu Fong nods as he listens to his orders. "Travel to the mine with a small group; investigate unrest; find and capture the rebel leader (identity unknown); restore order; and bring the rebel leader back to face justice." He reiterates the core of the orders to make certain there is no misunderstanding, and then adds the other salient facts he's been given. "Killing the rebel leader is acceptable, but not desirable if capture is at all possible. We will be outnumbered, so discretion will be needed. Ban Gang should serve as a suitable base of operations."

"I understand and will comply." He gives the proper bow from a subordinate to a superior upon acceptance of a task.

"I have only a few questions, sir," the magistrate adds. The general does not seem to be a man to waste time with pleasantries, and so Fong gets right to the point. "Have we any other intelligence about the area surrounding the mines and the town, or is my team tasked with obtaining that information ourselves? Also, do we have the authority to requisition supplies for the journey to Ban Gang? And do I have the authority to install a new foreman and overseers at the mine - at least temporarily?"
Last edited by Trogdor on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed May 30, 2007 12:08 am

Guan Ci places his hands behind his back, listening to the magistrate's questions. After they have been asked, the general responds without further delay.

"The mine is recently dug. The tunnels fresh and relatively stable as I understand it. The only engineers remaining were stationed at the mine and are likely dead. The area near the village is made up of cleared farm land where rice and many select fruits are harvested." The general points down at the map, "The town itself is full of potential rebellion. This area was nearly the last place in the province to be conquered, and old sentiments die hard. They are treated well by the grace of the Emperor, and have provided steady rations for Zhen Pao Tai. No villagers are to be harmed, threatened, or molested." He pauses for a moment, then begins speaking again, "You may requisition anything within reason, horses, and the like. New foreman and overseers will be impossible," he says, "As any Imperial presence will not return to the mine until you have completed your task. With the bakemono leader captured or killed, we hope they will turn on each other, if they have not already done so. This will give us time to receive your report and for our detachment some six days away from the mine to make their way south and reach the mine to secure it." The general smiles, "You did not think we did not have a plan to regain control, did you? With the leader gone, as I have said, we hope they will turn on each other like the vermin they are, making it far easier for our detachment to impose Imperial rule. The commander of the detachment will see to the administration of the mine once it has been retaken."