House Rules

This is for House Rules, NPCs, Monsters, and conversions can go here. Discussions relating to third-party content such as DM's Guild products and submissions of publications.
Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:02 am

With the Feat, it would be, yes. Otherwise it would be worse, except you don't have to move (possibly provoking attacks of opportunity).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:44 am

I like the fact that you can fight on the defensive, since fighting normal is really offensive, however the wreckless attack is a fairly good rule. And with the feat its more useful.

Perhaps call it Improved Wreckless Attack (to fit the format of the Improved Trip, Grapple, etc)

I'll let this rule into my game on a test bases, and see how it goes.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:03 am

I just found the Feat Reckless Offensive in the Expanded Psionic Handbook. It is basicly what we have be talking about.

You can shift your focus from defense to offense.
Pre Req: Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefit: When you use the attack or full attack action, you can take a -4 penalty to armor class and add +2 to your melee attack roll. The bonus and penalty lasts until the begining of your next turn. (pg 51)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:57 am

I just found the Feat Reckless Offensive in the Expanded Psionic Handbook. It is basicly what we have be talking about.
Well what do you know... I even own that book. Oops. :oops:

sidewinder102
Level 3
Level 3

Weapon Finesse

Post by sidewinder102 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:13 am

One of the house rules I use changes the "Weapon Finesse" feat. Instead of adding dex in place of strength just to the attack roll for a specified melee weapon, I also add dex instead of strength to the damage roll. Furthermore, I expand the weapons available for Weapon Finesse beyond light weapons and certain other exceptions. This includes any weapon you are proficient in that isn't a Greatsword, Greataxe, Greatclub, Lance, Halberd, scythe, warhammer, Urgrosh, and Bastard sword (with the exception of those who can wield it in one hand)

You can rationalize this with the idea that not only are you dextrous and skilled enough to make your attacks more accurate, but through fluid motions also to incorporate more kinetic energy into your attack. This control over the weapon makes up for your lack in strength.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:16 am

I think I like this...
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

sidewinder102
Level 3
Level 3

+2 specification bonus

Post by sidewinder102 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:05 am

Another house rule I use I call the "+2 specification bonus". This rule is in either the DM's guide or PHB but I find few people use it.

Lets say Mialee wants to search the next room for a small goblin she saw scamper in just seconds before. Her player states "I carefully look around the room for the small goblin". Because the action was specific and she is making her search check with a +2 circumstance bonus that stacks with all other bonuses to her search. If the player simply said "I search the room" then no circumstance bonus is granted and the check is rolled normally.

This rule can be applied to any other roll at the DM's discretion.

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:08 am

I like this too... in theory.

Personally, I'd probably make substituting Dex mods for Str mods on damage rolls a separate feat, with Weapon Finesse as a prerequisite.

Of course, I've never understood how being hugely muscular had anything to do with the accuracy of one's strikes in the first place... :roll:

sidewinder102
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sidewinder102 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:12 am

Well kakita, you can rationalize the strength by thinking that because the 20 str half-orc barbarian character is stronger, the weapon they wield is lighter to them and this allows them to control said weapon better than the 10 str human commoner with not-so massive pecs.

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:20 am

sidewinder102 wrote:Well kakita, you can rationalize the strength by thinking that because the 20 str half-orc barbarian character is stronger, the weapon they wield is lighter to them and this allows them to control said weapon better than the 10 str human commoner with not-so massive pecs.
Okay, I'll buy that, but does the Str 20 Half orc barbarian have as much control over his buick-on-a-stick as the Str 10 rogue with an 18 Dex weilding a dagger? I don't believe he should.