Rules Questions

This is the OOC forum for all the nuts and bolts of the Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy Game.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Rules Questions

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Bren asked a rules question in the combat thread, and just to make it simpler I'm answering it here.

Pinned: (From the Combat Section pg 196)
Being Pinned: A pinned character may only take Half Action. Additionally, he must take a -20 penalty to Ballistic Skill Tests if he fires, snapping off shots while being mindful of their own safety. If a pinned character is in cover relative to the attacker that Pinned them, he may not leave it except to retreat (provided that he can remain in cover while doing so.) If he is not in cover when Pinned he must use his next Turn to reach cover. If there is no cover nearby, he must move away from the attack that Pinned him. A character can Test Willpower at the end of his Turn to escape Pinning, in which case he may act as normal in his next turn. This test is East (+30) if the character is no longer under fire (ie no one tried to shoot him since his last Turn). A character engaged in a close combat automatically escapes Pinning. There are some Talents, Skills, and other things (drugs) than can free a character from Pinning as well.
Brennor wrote:Can someone else unpin a pinned character? ie: could one of us pull Solaria down the stairs?
I don't see why your action couldn't be to pull Soliara down the stairs. As per the Pinned rule, she can retreat on her own, as a Half Action down the stairs, since down the stairs is under cover. That would put her out of fire, and Unpin her. As a Half Action someone can drag her clear if they want.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Rules Questions

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:25 pm

So I'm having some qualms with the Run option for this game.

I'm not against using the Run action, it makes sense, but the fact that a person can run in any zipzaggy pattern, go backwards and through difficult terrain and other wierd turns and stuff is bugging me.

I might consider using a house rule that prevents you from running in difficult terrain (like I did in the sawmp) but also limit the angle of your run to say 45 degrees, meaning you can't turn corners at a dead run or make sharp turns.

Thoughts?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

It does seem a bit like a teleport at times. Reasonable limitations on what you can do while running don't seem out of order to me.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:40 pm

It makes sense that you can zig-zag, hence the penalty vs your character with BS tests. Cause who can shoot straight at someone running zig-zaggy?

Running around corners... That's your call. I know Solaria just zig-zagged with only 45 degree moves in the last round and I didn't see anything that was difficult terrain. But if you limit each turn in the run to 45 degrees, then you can still make multiple turns. I really haven't seen it beeing a problem yet, but if you want to change it, its your game...
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Just so I can learn the rules better, I'm asking this:

Pinning:
I just know the rogue trader rules well and the DH rules a bit.
In RT, pinning only happens when someone does the "Suppressive Fire" Action, which gives -20 to hit (instead of the +20 for Full Auto, so a total of -40). Is it different in DH?

Need to look at the overwatch action again...