Capitulus Octo: Baron Hopes

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

The Aftermath - Sand's Arrival

Post by Trogdor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:37 pm

"The order caught me by surprise," Jericus replies truthfully. "Like Damien, I had thought the baron was in a good position to restore the mines to working order and to improve morale on the entire planet. I can see now that my view was too narrow, and perhaps my knowledge inadequate. I should have considered the threat that the baron could pose if elevated back into power, especially when hailed as a 'Saint' by the people. That sort of thing can escalate surprisingly fast. It can also linger for a very long time and can potentially spread to other systems. That alone poses a significant danger to the sector. I also fully understand that you may be privy to information we are not, which could well provide other reasons for Ulbrexis to be executed. I don't ask for any information, accepting that you would tell us if it were relevant. Over the years I've come to trust your judgement, and if you say that Ulbrexis has to die, then I accept that to be true."

"This is all secondary to the true issue, of course. You are an Inquisitor and we are acolytes in your service. Our duty is to follow your orders. I won't say unquestioningly, because I believe that you rely upon us for our intelligence as well as our skill. If, based on our experience, we think you're making a bad decision, then, time permitting, we should inform you of that opinion, especially if it's based on information you are not currently privy to. But I will say unfailingly. For once we have provided such advice to you, the final decision on how to act is always yours. Agree or disagree, it's our sacred duty to carry out your orders, and by extension, the will of the Inquisition. If I felt otherwise, I'd be unworthy of being in your service."

"I regret that the baron has to be killed. Personally, he seems a good man. And I think he genuinely cares for his people. He also did everything that we asked of him in stopping Morrir. But the Inquisition can't consider individuals. It has to think on a much higher scale than that - planets, sectors, the entire Imperium. The job of the Inquisition is no less than to preserve humanity from far too many existential threats. Sacrifices will have to be made along the way. I understand that and I accept it."

"So no," he says at last. "I do not disagree with your orders. Nor shall I hesitate to carry them out."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Damien nods along with Jericus. "I am the same. Loyalty above all, for Doubt is the path to Damnation." He makes the sign of the Aquila. "My concern with the current nobility is that their policies will inevitably lead to another labor revolt. Even with the death of most of the mutant underclass, their apathy and excess will ensure low morale and slow repairs. And within a number of years, another rebellion will grow and hurt production yet again. " A look of disgust spreads on his face, at the thought of all their work and sacrifice coming to naught.

"But if the judgment of the Inquisition is that the Baron's rule would lead to an even more perilous future, then so be it. Ore production and peasant morale are not the most important metrics. The integrity of the Imperium of Mankind has primacy."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Sand stands there long, tall, silent save for his labored breathing. Then he turns his back on you and paces across the room and looks out one of the busted windows of the Op Center. His cybernetic foot clangs on the metal floor as he moves (if that a new foot?). Standing there he makes no comments for several long minutes, and its impossible to read him.

Then he turns around.

"Blind loyalty is a good quality in a dog, not in an Acolyte. You have proven on more than one occasion that your judgement is excellent, that your dedication is true and that your loyalty doesn't waver."

He walks back, every other step a clang on the floor, he reaches out and takes the Rosette from Jericus, and holds it in his hand. "Either the Baron is executed as the Inquisition has decided, or perhaps he escapes into the Harrow, and with the help of some unknown powers manages a small and quiet coup in Iceholm." He holds the rosette balancing there, "Of course this coup could not be backed by the Inquisition, but should he find himself in power, able to get production back to above average levels or better, then we'd have no reason to bother him would we?"

He looks at the trio, as if to say make your choice.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 am

Haxtes stands there calmly. For him it is clear that sometimes, for a machine to work, a part needs to be replaced, however shiny it is. He turns to the others. "Both options are logically valid. With some unknown variables, we cannot accurately predict the outcome."
As a player, I am ok with both options. A coup could take some time, but might be interesting (and involve more diplomatic skills than we have). What do you think?

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 am

As the Inquisitor debriefs his Acolytes, the Mortiurge continues his daily routine, his mind almost entirely focused on the tasks at hand.

Still, stray thoughts creep in as he analyses action-reports on the vid-screens. Would he be 'silenced' for having seen too much? It could be argued that his termination is warranted, he reasons, especially if he considers an Inquisitor's point of view.

After giving his thoughts time to argue amongst themselves, he decides that it would still, probably, qualify as a waste of resources. Of course, such decisions were way above his pay grade, so he stops such pointless thinking, and gets back to work...

Increased dissent from the working classes. Crackdowns from planetary authorities. Predicted fall in tithed materials. Undermanned Adeptus Arbites presence - ETA of reinforcements unknown. An unacceptable situation. It would have been easier if the Baron had been martyred against the hordes of Chaos.

Thankfully, he isn't an Arbitrator because it is easy. He's an Arbitrator because duty is a reward all of its own. Of course, that doesn't mean that he can't be pissy about how everything is turning out.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Jericus has stood there silent for a long moment, weeks it almost seems. He nods to Sand, "I believe Inquisitor, that my companions and I have some unfinished business in Iceholm to attend to."

Sand almost cracks a smile. "I place you on leave for a period to last no longer than 1 solar year. If by that time you have no returned to active duty your status as my Acolytes will be revoked, and the breach in my security will be attended to. You understand this?" You do, you have one year or you are dead men.

"Go get me Lucius."

Jericus nods and heads out of the chamber, he shouts across the Opt Center to him. "Lucius, the Inquisitor wants a word with you." Then Jericus returns to the briefing room.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:00 am

Lucius marches into the chamber to meet the Inquisitor.

He offers a professional salute, and stands to attention, waiting for Sand to speak.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm

"So you are Proctor-Mortiurge Lucius Brutus? I am Inquisitor Sand."

He looks Lucius up and down, "I have been informed that your assistance in the recent disquiet here was most helpful. I offer you my thanks for taking part in the affairs with my agents." He pauses, "your knowledge of the subject matter puts you in a tight spot Proctor. You see, you now have sensitive Inquisitorial information which you can not be allowed to continue knowing in your current state."

He holds a slender gaunt finger up, "However on recommendation from my Acolytes I here by strip you of previous rank and duties and appoint you to my Inquisitorial team under the leadership of Senior Acolyte Jericus. I'll handle all the necessary paperwork and Administratium dealings, worry not on that matter."

"You may speak now." His voice hisses through his rebreather device.

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Lucius cocks his head, ever so slightly, and responds very curtly,

"Understood, Inquisitor."

He is half-surprised that he isn't to be killed (or worse), and reasons that it is because he might be seen as somewhat useful. Of course, how that might play out... that would be up to the Senior Acolyte to decide.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:29 pm

"Good. Already I can see you understand things Lucius."

Sand wheezes, "Now, I must deal with some things here. You deserve some rest time, but you won't get it. There are matters to attend to at once. Now that we are all together and we understand our path we can get to work. Tomorrow you can begin your unsanctioned task of leading the Coup to replace the Queen and setting the Baron up in her place. I need to have a talk with him before that happens. Remember, this whole thing is unsanctioned, I will not aid you, I will deny everything until that point where you have succeeded. Then I shall swoop in and take credit for it all." He almost chuckles as he breaths in oddly on his rebreather.
Alright Chapter End! You guys can chit chat here, fill Lucuis in ICly. I'll get a new chapter started shortly. I also have to now plan this out! Blood Coup or Sneaky Coup? Hmm, which shall it be for you.