Capitulus Decum: The Haematite Cathedral

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 17, 2018 5:19 pm

He knows you are Inquisition, so likely some. You wouldn't want to isolate him however, he could be a great source of info for the group at this point, he is your only contact on the planet after all
"There are always rumors of ill tidings among the populace, superstitious lot. Yet I think you mean something greater. I can not think of anything recently, but I do not seek such things, my duty keeps me busy here. Come, I will show you the librarium if you like now."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 pm

The Psyker raises his eyebrow at the claim that this area cannot be infiltrated by the powers of Chaos. Not even Holy Terra itself was safe from such corruption, not during the Horus Heresy, and not now. "Yes, let us retire to the Librarium. In the meantime, I would very much like to hear more about this protective artifact you mentioned."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon May 21, 2018 1:34 am

"I would like to see it for myself, if we may."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 23, 2018 3:16 pm

"Come, the Librarium is this way." The Abbot lead you about the Gilded Cathedral and take you to the gran Librarium.

Several servo-skulls and a curator-servitor tend to a pair of book cases groaning under the weight of large leather bound tomes. Through a pair of wavy glass doors is a small garden enclosed by high walls. The light from above shines down on what must surely be the only trees in the entire city. Stone benches provide a place to sit as the servitors hold books aloft for careful study. A pair of clerics sit along a wall quitely discussing the contents of an old red leather book.

"This is the Librarium,you will find plenty of knowledge here to research on the planet. I am here to assist you in any way I can. I do ask that you refrain from discussing these matters with the students, however, as their minds are not ready for the horrors Acolytes of the Holy Ordos must face."

Jericus perks up some at the sight of all this holy knowledge.

"Let's get started!" He walks up to a shelf takes a book down, sits in a nearby chair and starts leafing through it.

The abbot comments about the relic, "I am sorry but none may look on it, that is the holy law. There is a shroud that covers a tomb, and within is a weapon for use against the enemy of the God-Emperor, when he deems it necessary it will be a hammer of his righteous fury. Until then it will remain pure and beyond the touch of man."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 pm

The sister of battle signs the Aquila in silent pardon. "Has the relic been here long?"

She pauses to consider where to start. The information they seek must be among the occult sections. She glances briefly toward the clerics conversing over their book.
Can we make out the cover of that red leather book from here? Is the clerics' placement inconsequential, or are they near any catalogue of occult/forbidden knowledge?

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 am

"I will also research in the librarium. Maybe we can find something." Haxtes says in his artificial croaking voice. He looks around to get some sense of where which topics are stored and if there might be some sort of restricted section. Then he starts his research.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Searching the Librarium for Clues

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 25, 2018 3:51 pm

"It has been here since the cathedral was built, it is ancient as I understand it."

The acolytes present are reading some typical books of the faith, fairly simple and basic texts. Theysit in the seating area, and are in no way in your way.

Jericus cracks his knuckles, "Let us get started."

You begin, the Abbot aids you in showing you the other sections, where certain sorts of books are, he's helpful, eager to please members of the Inquisition. The search begins, everyone offers something to the task, Jericus discovers some interesting passages, while Haxtes is able to quickly eliminate plenty of texts in large groups, Merica translates some holy phrases easier than others. It takes hours, and hours, and some time late in the night, as candles and servo skulls provide you light you have finally come to realization.
So this is a Literacy Test made by 1 character, each other character TRAINED in it adds +10 to the check.

Damien: Literacy 68 (Highest of the group)

Haxtes Trained +10
Jericus Trained +10
Merica Trained +10

Rolled: 13 vs 98 = 9 Successes! BAM
Setting out on the center table you have a few items gathered, and are looking over them. Primarily is a scroll listing various holdings of the Eccelsiarchy, and other is a stray passage in an unrelated book with cryptic notes in the margin, the coordinates in the note could match the location described as Holding #120.

If its too small try opening in its own window

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri May 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Ecclesiarchal Holding #120.
Haematite Cathedral.
Located upon the Twilight Ridge along eastern coastline.
Clergy in residence: none.
Assign no clergy to this accursed place. Request Ordo Hereticus investigation into activities of Koronath Hekate, Gustavus Hekate, and Nikaea Hekate.
"We should hear what Abbot Jurutas can tell us about this holding, and what warranted - or warrants - investigation."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 pm

"Interesting. Do we know how long ago this was written? It suggests contacting the Ordos to investigate the activities of this Hekate family. Is this recent, or was there an investigation back when this was recorded? I was not told of anything like that." He taps the scroll thoughtfully. "It would also be useful to know why this place was declared accursed."
Woohoo! Go Literacy!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 29, 2018 6:19 pm

There is no indication on the age of the notes, it does seem old however, old enough that Abbot Juntas didn't know about it, and that mention of THIS cathedral does not have his name among the clergy in residence. Jericus points out the scribbling on the side margins of another paper, "These seem like geographic coordinates, might be just enough to get us to this Haematite Cathedral."

You call on the Abbot and he returns from his duties elsewhere in the Gilded Cathedral to ask about what you've found. He looks it over and nods, "Interesting, I don't know this place personally. There are half a dozen cathedrals on the planet, and countless smaller temples and shrines, but what you have here should be enough for me to get you there, if that's your goal."