Durnalian History

For the game development and OOC threads.
Palamon
Level 2
Level 2

Durnalian History

Post by Palamon » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:35 am

Durnalia began as a bunch of city-states of common culture that thrived on trade, and became enormously wealthy, much like the ancient Etruscans in our own world. Their wealth was based largely on the fact that they had unsurpassed natural resources in the northern mountains, including adamantite. They developed ways to forge things from adamantite of incredible strength that was also lightweight. Their success made them the target of envy with their neighbors, and eventually they became under nearly incessant attack.

So out of necessity they banded together, and expanded their realms out to the sea, conquering when necessary and engulfing other cultures when possible. Their object was to secure all the trade routes and ensure their safety and prosperity. Within a few short centuries they had completely succeeded, and their culture began to change to become more seafaring.

But civil wars were frequent in Durnalia, due to an uncertain political system. I'm tired now, and I don't want to write any more tonight. I will continue tomorrow. If you have ideas for this, please send me a PM. Or, log onto Akarian Dawn the MUSH at

telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896

and +mail Palamon. Thank you again for your interest. I hope to create basic history and geography for the entire world soon. Durnalia is only a small part of it. I intend to begin by developing the shoreline of the central sea and expanding landward. The sea is going to be very important to this setting as the basis for Durnalia's broken empire, but it is not the only important feature. The mountains will become important as well, as will deserts, forests, grasslands, and all types of geography. It is my intent to have as much interesting geography as possible without having a ridiculously huge world. Also, I intend to have the ability to expand as time goes on. Thanks again.

Palamon

Palamon
Level 2
Level 2

Early Age of Kings

Post by Palamon » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:21 pm

With the defeat of a powerful common enemy, the Durnalian city-states had banded together under the most powerful of the city-states, Editia. But they refused to take the name 'Editia' for their land, and instead took the name of the man who had united them: Durnan the Peacemaker. So they took the name from him, and came up with: Durnalia. (Since Durnia sounds like Hernia)

The early years of the Durnalian Kingdom, were the most "romanticized" years of Durnalian history. After Durnan the Peacemaker came Durnan the Conqueror, who finally put an end to the uprisings that were more common during these early years, particularly further from Editia. It was essentially a feudal monarchy, with each major city-state having its own Prince. There were of course civil wars, and border clashes, but for the most part the Kingdom was a "good" place, with benevolent Kings (and the occasional Queen). I will develop this era more once we've got basic histories for surrounding areas done. In essence, the early years of the Kingdom were very Arthurian, with an established code of chivalry that exists in many areas throughout the realms even today.

While I'm at it, Rich and I have come up with a basic timeline for the Durnalian history:

The City-State era most closely resembles classic Greece, and lasted approximately 400 years. Thus, Durnalian History begins approximately 2400 years ago.

The Age of Kings most closely resembles the old Durnalis from ShadowRift, and lasted for approximately 900 years. (from 2000 to 1100 years ago)

The Imperial Age, up to but not including Itracian rule, most closely resembles Imperial Rome, and lasted approximately 400 years. (from 1100 to 700 years ago)

The Itracian Empire lasted roughly 300 years, and has no real life counterpart. (from 700 - 400 years ago)

After the Itracian Empire, the Second Age of Kings began, and is easily divisible into two parts: that which came before the War of the Gryphons, and that which came after. During the entire time, the Durnalian culture most closely resembles the Byzantine Empire of our own history. At first (pre-War) the "hinterlands" most closely resembles post-Roman Europe, and post-War most closely resembles Medieval Europe in various stages. The War of the Gryphons lasted for 20 years, ending approximately 200 years ago; the Second Age of Kings began approximately 150 years before that. (total: 400 years)

Palamon
Level 2
Level 2

City-State Years, Age of Kings, and Rylos

Post by Palamon » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:49 am

A quote from Neon's email to me:
Heya Josh,

Here's some stream-of-conciousness imagination stuff to sorta kick-start the process: Your Carthage analog is a city state called Rylos (combines Greek and Phonecian cultural elements). Never a serious land-power (all its ground troops were levies from colonies), the island city-state of Rylos developed an empire through far-flung trade and then built a navy to protect it with the great streams of wealth brought in from its colonies. Pressure from encroaching Rylosian trade and political and naval power was a major impetus for the Durnalian states to band together. The Durnalians couldn't be conquered by the Rylosians because Durnalian land forces (infantry, archers, cavalry, etc.) were well trained and highly effective once united under a single commanding general (need a name I guess, Flavius Maximius Belisarius or something). The less cohesive and lighter armed Rylosian troops were chronically beaten in battle after battle. Eventually, the Durnalians built a Navy from scratch and slowly rose to challenge the Rylosians in a series of wars, eventually attacking and destroying Rylos itself. I think we can sort of figure that there are two main sources of enmity between Durnalia and Rylos. As mentioned above, Durnalia is at first the underdog, trying to scrape out a place in the sun under the dominating shadow of Rylos. I think you can easily make the second source a religious difference: The Rylosians, perhaps only in part, worshiped "dark gods" and engaged in abhorrent practices like human(child)sacrifice and grizzly stuff like that.
OK. I like the idea, and the name. Durnalia's enemy (the "Carthage" I spoke of) will be Rylos, and Rylos will indeed engage in grizzly religious practices, a fact which helps to unite the Durnalians. Originally the warfare is one of Rylosian conquest, as the Durnalians are very wealthy - much like the ancient Etruscans. Rylos will remain more powerful than Durnalia all the way through the the Age of Kings. One thing I will change is the "chronic" Durnalian victories; in the beginning, the sides were pretty well matched on land. Rylosian warships could raid almost at will, but the Durnalian cities were much too well constructed to be taken by anything other than a full-out seige. As Neon said, the Durnalians eventually banded together under a single war chief, Durnan the Peacemaker son of Durnan the Builder. For the early ages, I'm not going to use as much heavy Latin.

Note: this replaces my earlier idea that Durnalia was the preeminent naval force during the age of city-states. Their navy was sufficient to protect trade and fishing most of the time, but that's about it.

During the Age of Kings, Durnalia had a -very- clear enemy: Rylos. The rest of the world was of secondary importance, though Durnalian expansion did occur, particulary culturally. This Age was also known as the Epic Age, the Age of Heroes, and many other names. It was a classic struggle of good versus evil, in the eyes of most Durnalians at least.

The Age of Kings brought about the greatest cultural and "technological" advancements in Durnalia. Early in the Age of Kings, the Durnalians constructed their legendary sun-towers, and created walls of surpassing engineering for their cities. Honor was of paramount concern to Durnalian warriors, and it was during this age that many Orders of Knighthood came to glory. This was when the Durnalian land forces became -far- more powerful than the Rylosians, as Neon had suggested. Durnalian victories were now almost guaranteed.

One thing I want to add here is a sort of Hannibal character from Rylos, leading elephants or some such across deserts and mountains to Durnalia.

The end of the Age of Kings is marked by Durnalian destruction of Rylos; all of the former Rylosian Empire is now controlled by Durnalia. In geography, this is equivalent to northern Africa, and Mesopotamia. Most of Mesopotamia is desert, however, and will remain to the people of Durnalia a great secret. Was there once a great civilization there? (yes, but the people don't really have much proof of it - just writings of the ancients)