Chapter One: Simple Beginnings

A city of mysteries, secrets, and dark histories, Ptolus lies forever in the shadow of a towering stone spire reaching impossibly high into the sky, itself an enigma and a reminder of evil long past. In Ptolus, the supernatural is expected and treachery lies around every corner'€"or is it that the supernatural lies around every corner and treachery is expected? Either way, the city of Ptolus abounds with danger, magic, intrigue, and above all, adventure.Run by the GM Trogdor
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Ratling fight - aftermath

Post by Eanwulf » Wed May 28, 2008 12:20 am

Thomas stares long and hard at the band of so-called '˜rat hunters'. An odd look soon overcomes the young bard's face as he contemplates the following. What if this band of adventurers were the ones responsible for he missing desk clerk's disappearance? After all, what better disguise to waylay unsuspecting adventurers than that of the very thing they seek!

After losing himself in thought for several moments thought, Thomas comments softly, 'œLet us be on our guard with this lot friends. I have seen far too much over the years to lead me to believe that anything is seldom less than what it actually appears. Whilst I don't really care if these strumpets are friend or foe, what I DO care about is if we incur their wrath or not.'

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 am

Here's a good example of a opposed roll. You're trying to stay hidden, while the rat hunters are keeping aware of trouble. The most appropriate cliches you have are Rogue (3), Delver (3), Delver (2), and Goblin (2). The rat hunters each have Rat Hunter (3).

This is also a case where we have group rolls. In such a case, the best cliche rolls full dice; all others roll and get to add only their sixes. Of the rat hunter group, two are watching their backs.

Sol - Delver (3): 1,3,4 = 8
Thom - Rogue (3): 6,6 = +12
Garith- Delver (2):
Areth - Goblin (2):
TOTAL: 20

Hmm, just noticed - you have Garith and Areth. Funny coincidence.

RH1 - Rat Hunter (3): 6,5,2 = 13
RH2 - Rat Hunter (3): 6,3,1 = +6
TOTAL: 19

Rat hunters don't notice you.
You pull up short of the group of rat hunters, Sol pulling everyone to where you should be out of their sight. But just as you think you're safe and are ready to discuss your next step, Thom holds up a hand and points. Hidden on top of a drainage pipe is a rat hunter scout, clearing watching their back so no one sneaks up behind them.

With Thom's warning you move back around another corner and are able to safely make your plans.
From what the group of you collectively knows about these rat hunters, they have at least some official sanction to be here. In contrast, you guys are technically here in violation of city law.

That having been said, rat hunters are not known to be sticklers for particular those rules. They view the rats as their enemies, not delvers.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed May 28, 2008 2:33 am

Deadman wrote:Areth peers at the band of rat hunters. "They may not be pleased if we interrupt them...we would ruin their gambit if any true ratlings are watching. I know a spell that allows the caster to whisper at a distance. Perhaps I could relay a message to them that way?"
Thomas seems highly inclined towards this idea. He does not wish to ruin any carefully laid plans that the rat hunters might already have in progress and wouldn't mind earning a tail or two by assisting their band of ruffians if in the event their plans were to fall apart.

"By all means Areth, please inform their group of our presence and of our intentions of standing patiently aside lest they need our help. But please do so in a non-threatening or frightening manor - we would hate to have to fight both this group AND their prey."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Garith slips back around the corner, he tries to keep his cloak out of the sewer water now that it is clean. He nods to the goblin, "I have knowledge of this whispering spell. It may be quite useful at this moment." He watches the man on the pipe while the group slips out of sight and wonders. "We have no legal recourse for being here of course. So if these are offical rat hunters we may find ourselves in trouble. I would rather we not get into a scrape with them, so let us be polite and diplomatic." Garith will let the goblin offer the whispering spell, wanting to not only test the creatures magical skills, but to let him prove himself a friend.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Once he has the group's approval Areth begins casting the spell. First he steadies himself by steepling his hands and taking a deep breath. Though the charm is simple he wants to make sure it is done right.

He withdraws a thin copper wire from his bag and taps it to each ear, to his forehead, and finally presses its tip to his adam's apple. "Primum Vox" he whispers. Areth then holds the wire out at arm's length, which is now vibrating endlessly like a tuning fork.

"This is a magical message," whispers Areth as he targets the group of men. "Do not be alarmed. We are a fellow delving party, and do not wish to ruin your ambush by walking up in person. If you would like aid please ask, but otherwise we shall leave these hunting grounds to you. Reply to me by simply whispering."

Areth waits for a response to see if the Message spell worked.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu May 29, 2008 10:16 pm

Spell TN = 5
Transformation Wizard (4): 1,5,6,1 = 13 (Success!)
Mere moments after Areth casts the spell, the rat hunters immediately spring to action, as Sol notes, in response to a brief click and whistle signal. But after a tense moment, it's clear that they were just moving into a defensive position against an unknown visitor.

"I've heard that the Goldshields use that spell," the voice whispers back when they're in position. The man was clearly startled by the spell, but not shocked. "It'd be damn useful down here." You see the target of the spell turning his head looking for where you're hidden. "We don't need help right now," he continues in his whisper. "But we've been waitin' near an hour for the next bunch a ratlings ta come by. So I don't see as you passin' through'll scare 'em off. Show yourselves and we can talk."
You've all been in Ptolus long enough to know that the Goldshields are a semi-official group of mages that work with the City Guard.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Fri May 30, 2008 1:51 am

"Wonderful," messages Areth. "I will let my friends know that approaching will not disrupt your plans."

Speaking now to his rescuers, and not transmitting for the time being, Areth relates everything the rat hunter said.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri May 30, 2008 2:22 am

Thomas comments, 'œI ever so hope that they will not take offense to our presence here this evening.' He also adds, 'œBe cautious friends, for these are a stern, business-minded lot and might not take kindly to us '˜freelancers' intruding in on their territory. I would advise that we treat them cordial but firm; and for the love of God, let us please act like we know what we are doing down here!'

Thomas then awaits the signal to advance towards the band of rugged-looking rat hunters.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Garith agrees with Black Thom, "Agreed Thom, let us not mention we are hear for the bounty. Let us stick to he safe return and rescue of our wayward friend from the Delver's Guide, who is so ever bad with directions and of course was simply lost down here on pure accident." He adjusts his tunic and staff and steps out into the passage, "Come good friends, let us speak to these men face to face." Once the others are ready he will walk down to the rat hunters, on guard, but hopefull.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:35 am

The half-elf sighs at the banter. "Let us get this over with," he says, realizing that the ratling hunters probably would not care why they were down here. They are Delvers, there are thousands of Delvers, breaking the law or not, it really matters very little.

He steps out, not waiting for the others.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name