Help Create a Campaign Setting

The workshop forum for Eanwulf's new setting.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Help Create a Campaign Setting

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Yes Ptolus is using a Trogdor-tuned version of Risus the Anything rules.

I was looking at what all campaign-themes we have currently and was trying not to step on any of their toes. Steampunk seemed to be a theme that we were currently missing.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:37 pm

It's one of them, certainly.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:17 pm

Feel free to start posting/emailing me

robertcullingford@yahoo.com

Your ideas Johnny.

I thought about a fantasy Europa type setting in which the scientists were beginning a war with the arcanists (german science vs britain sorcery). Of course this means that the church would step in at one point or the other.

I thought that the easiest way to bring the players into the group is presenting them all with a beloved mentor who holds a secret that they must eventually don the mantle of themselves - i.e. kind of force them into the plot but rest assured that it would be on they wouldnt mind being in the middle of heh.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Simple enough, if that's the division you're sure you want to make.

Britain: The Reign of the Faerie Queen Gloriana has lasted almost 300 years. Welshmen toil in the aether mines, fueling magical wonders and prodigious conjurations. In the process, the people of the Isles become increasingly fey; recent census data implies that as many as 10% of all children born in Gloriana's realm are 'changelings' of one form or another.

Germany: The Prussian politico Otto von Bismarck, having used his ruthless diplomacy and his army of land-ironclads and clockwork armigers to unite the German states, has turned his gaze to the rest of Europe. With the weakening Austro-Hungarian Empire at his back and the hyper-rational French Republic in the West, his enemies are numerous, but that's never stopped the Iron Chancellor before...

Possible other additions for Europa:

Austria-Hungary: the Blood of the Dragon: In danger of crumbling under increasing internal dissent, the desperate Hapsburgs cemented their ties to the Carpathian region by a marriage of the Austrian princess to the dashing military genius Count Vladimir. The royal family that has been born is legendary for its charming effect on the people and its flawless politeness - it is said that the Austrian princess Maria Andrea will not so much as enter the home of a peasant uninvited. As the Empress grows into the twilight of her years, her children gather around the throne, a new age clear in their deep, hypnotic eyes.

France: The Age of Reason: With the fall of the tyrant Napoleon, France's monarchy proved short-lived. After the July Revolution, a council of rationalists led by mathematician Evariste Galois seized power. These passionless men closed the churches, sold off royal treasures by the dozen and set about remaking France as the beacon of peace and order. Universal identification using Bertillon statistics, telegraph networks connecting enormous analytical engines across the Empire and mechanically-calculated troop movements in Africa place France at the forefront of modern Europe.

More to come! Comments and additions welcome!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 pm

I haven't forgotten about you Johnny. I even put together the beginnings of the Steampunk setting, but sadly copied the wrong file to disk!

I will post what I have when I am once again able to.

I liked your input so far and have used some of it to help flesh out some existing concepts.

In a nutshell, I think the game will center around Central Power characters (Germany, Austro-Hungary) during the outbreak of World War I. The overall theme will be true steampunk as well as arcanolgy vs. scientology. It should be great fun and should hopefully re-write the Great War as we know it.

More to come later...

Rob

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 pm

No Ottoman characters? I won't deny that the idea of a clockwork Janissary has its appeal.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:54 am

Heh funny you should mention Clockwork Soldiers, as that was among the many titles of adventures I was mulling over - March of the Toy Soldiers.

Anyways, I have begun to put together some of my ideas to help us start working on.

They will come next.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Steampunk Setting: Europa "The Great War"

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:59 am

After much time and deliberation, I think that I have decided to go with a Victorian/Edwardian period 'œSteampunk' campaign theme, set in the world of Mythic (and drastically altered) Europa. As to the name of the campaign itself, I am leaning towards something simple such as 'œEuropa: The Great War'.

Now before we get the proverbial ball rolling, I want you to remember the age old adage of 'œsometimes less is more'. I say this because, initially, I want to try and build the crude skeleton of our world and in order to do this; I would like it if any ideas and submissions were brief in their summation. I feel that it would be best to start off small with our conceptualizations and then fill in any necessary gaps as we go. Players may very well find their characters' very own histories helping to fill in the pieces.

After reading up on the Steampunk genre itself, I can't help but feel that players would best enjoy this type of setting if they were able to take on the roles of various scientists and inventors, as well as the much needed diplomat and soldier types of characters. As for rules used in the game, I think that Trogdor's modified 'œRisus the Anything' system would be our wisest choice. These rules would allow us to create quick and easy characters that would then be able to jump into the game rather effortlessly.

Please note that I have debated the exact timeline of the campaign itself over and over and can't help but feel that the early 1900's would be best overall. Using our own historical recap of the First World War, I think that players would thoroughly enjoy playing within a campaign setting that emulates the War itself - though the outcome and course of events surrounding the War would, of course, be modified greatly by the players' adventures and own personal back-stories.

Also note that I have decided to fully utilize my GM's 'œRight of Creativity' by deciding that the campaign will deal with both fantasy and technological (and ultimately a hybridized version of both) elements. I have also decided to do away with the traditional 'œGood side vs. Evil side' (to an extent) of the War itself and have players start off as either the Germans or the Austro-Hungarians. I have always loved the way that these peoples looked during this time and can't help but think that players would enjoy playing characters from a more technologically inclined society '€" not to mention that the funny accents and the fact that the War would basically wind up being retold based off of the players' heroic exploits should prove to hold the players' attentions much more than simply having them navigate through a course of events that have already transpired.

For those of you who think that the game itself will be set in a dark, dreary, or otherwise hopeless setting, fear not people for your actions and decisions will help to chart a whole new course of events during the War, and who knows '€" perhaps your decisions may even hold sway over existing Nation's alliances.

This being said, I suggest the following breakdowns of the world as we know it:

Breton
Basically Breton is the island of Great Britain and is currently under the rule of Queen Mab, leader of the Unseelie Court of Fey. After the death of Queen Victoria, Queen Mab has used her supernatural charms to hold sway over the mortal King Edward and has managed to usurp the throne as her own. Queen Mab now governs over her subjects with an iron rule. The Queen's law is enforced by the collective known as 'œMab's Children' '€" a collection of loyal human and unseelie fey individuals (goblins, ogres, trolls, dark elves, etc.). Queen Mab had recently shown a great interest in finding ways to fuse the technological wonders of the world with her sorcerous powers and her most recent endeavors have yet to be seen. Despite their obvious overabundance of fantasy elements, Breton still remains the cradle of industry and technological advances are clearly present. Please note that I liked Johnnyweird's idea and decided to integrate it, with moderation, within the setting.

Ireland
Ireland, known by the fey as Tir na Nog, currently lies submerged underwater. It presently serves as home to Lord Oberon and Lady Titania, the rulers of the Seelie Court of Fey as well as those unfortunate peoples who refused to bow to Queen Mab's rule. The island was submerged shortly after the fey court divided into two houses and the bloody war that ensued thereafter. Queen Mab has entrusted her race of misshapen giants '€" the Formorian '€" to ensure that the island never again sees the light of day. Perhaps the players' adventures will have them travel to the sunken kingdom and, through much fun and escapade, allow the island of Ireland to once more see the light of day. I see Ireland as a low-tech society that still relies heavily on its fantasy elements.

Avalon
The mythical island of Avalon, enshrouded by its mists, has long since been rumored to house the spirits of those legendary souls whose deeds still leave their mark on the chronicles of history. (King Arthur perhaps?) Some even say that Queen Victoria herself lays waiting within Avalon's sacred halls, waiting for the day that her services are once again needed to guide her people through great adversity. Despite her best efforts, Queen Mab has been unable to locate, let along penetrate, the islands mystical defenses. Need one ask? Avalon is a fantasy element in the campaign.

The Nordlands
The realm of Scandinavia has long since been known their fierce Nordic warriors. Though they will remain neutral during the Great War for the most part, the Nordlands are a potential source of support and allies during Europa's troubled times.

Italia
Home to the fields (and island nation) of Arcadia, home of the technologically advanced Tommy Knockers (gnomes) as well as an abundance of fey refugees (elven sea princes and renowned duelists/bladesingers). It is rumored that a new organization of fey exists within Italia known as the Shadow Court, their leader an elven noble who now dons the title of the Shadow King.

Arcadia
Gnomes=Tommy Knockers as the affix -tom- is generally found within their names.

Austro-Hungary
What if the rumors of Vlad Tepes were wrong? What if the formally infamous 'œCount Dracula' was indeed a misunderstood hero and his timeless love for the mysterious 'œElizabetta part of an elaborate legacy yet to be revealled.

Organizations
The Collegium

The Arcanum

The Foundry

More to come as I flesh it out.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Steampunk Setting: Europa "The Great War"

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:29 pm

Not much on Germany itself - or is Italia inclusive of what is modern Switzerland and Germany, a sort of Holy Roman Empire?

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Steampunk Setting: Europa "The Great War"

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:29 pm

I will edit this post accordingly.

Europa: The Great War

The Entente Powers

France
I like Johnnyweird's idea about the nation being a collective group of scientists and mathematicians. Throw in some stolen technology clockwork soldiers and you have a force to be reckoned with. I can already see the Trench War fought by German 'œPower-armored' troops versus a battalion of inhuman robots moving in a unified-minded fashion. How about Evariste Galois holding the nicknames of 'œThe Toymaker' and 'œThe Clockwork King'.

The Un-united Kingdom

Breton
Basically Breton is the island of Great Britain and is currently under the rule of Queen Mab, leader of the Unseelie Court of Fey. After the death of Queen Victoria, Queen Mab has used her supernatural charms to hold sway over the mortal King Edward and has managed to usurp the throne as her own. Queen Mab now governs over her subjects with an iron rule. The Queen's law is enforced by the collective known as 'œMab's Children' '€" a collection of loyal human and unseelie fey individuals (goblins, ogres, trolls, dark elves, etc.). Queen Mab had recently shown a great interest in finding ways to fuse the technological wonders of the world with her sorcerous powers and her most recent endeavors have yet to be seen. Despite their obvious overabundance of fantasy elements, Breton still remains the cradle of industry and technological advances are clearly present. Please note that I liked Johnnyweird's idea and decided to integrate it, with moderation, within the setting.

Ireland
Ireland, known by the fey as Tir na Nog, currently lies submerged underwater. It presently serves as home to Lord Oberon and Lady Titania, the rulers of the Seelie Court of Fey as well as those unfortunate peoples who refused to bow to Queen Mab's rule. The island was submerged shortly after the fey court divided into two houses and the bloody war that ensued thereafter. Queen Mab has entrusted her race of misshapen giants '€" the Formorian '€" to ensure that the island never again sees the light of day. Perhaps the players' adventures will have them travel to the sunken kingdom and, through much fun and escapade, allow the island of Ireland to once more see the light of day. I see Ireland as a low-tech society that still relies heavily on its fantasy elements.

Avalon
The mythical island of Avalon, enshrouded by its mists, has long since been rumored to house the spirits of those legendary souls whose deeds still leave their mark on the chronicles of history. (King Arthur perhaps?) Some even say that Queen Victoria herself lays waiting within Avalon's sacred halls, waiting for the day that her services are once again needed to guide her people through great adversity. Despite her best efforts, Queen Mab has been unable to locate, let along penetrate, the islands mystical defenses. Need one ask? Avalon is a fantasy element in the campaign.

Russia

Italia
Home to Arcadia, home of the technologically advanced Tommy Knockers (gnomes) as well as an abundance of fey refugees (elven sea princes and renowned duelists/bladesingers). It is rumored that a new organization of fey exists within Italia known as the Shadow Court, their leader an elven noble who now dons the title of the Shadow King.

Arcadia

The Central Powers

Germany
Germany is the world's greatest nation and the model for a progressive society, with discipline as an essential tool of progress. The German army is better trained and equipped than any other. German universities train their students in advanced science: German industry applies it to precision machinery, fuel production, and synthetic chemistry.

Austria-Hungary
What if the rumors of Vlad Tepes were wrong? What if the formally infamous 'œCount Dracula' was indeed a misunderstood hero and his timeless love for the mysterious 'œElizabetta

Ottoman Empire

Bulgaria

Neutral Regions

The Nordlands
The realm of Scandinavia has long since been known their fierce Nordic warriors. Though they will remain neutral during the Great War for the most part, the Nordlands are a potential source of support and allies during Europa's troubled times.

Spain

Switzerland

Netherlands