BC2010: Where?

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
Joni
Level 6
Level 6

BC2010: Where?

Post by Joni » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:18 pm

It is never too early to plan Brencon 2010. Seeing as it is now 2010 I think we really can start getting solid on this.... Starting with where. If everyone was happy having it at the Brennor residence then we should consider this as the place to have it. If there are other suggestions lets start getting into it sooner rather than later:)

Something to keep in mind: A significant number of people on the site live in Binghamton, so it is more of a where in Binghamton to have it kind of discussion.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Where?

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:45 pm

I honestly prefered the way year one was set up better. The large tent with everyone together, not being split among so many floors, and then outside as well. If we were voting I'd be voting for a set up more like we had the "first" year (at JP's house). Not that it has to be at JPs house, but with the tent and all that.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:07 am

I preferred that as well, but it all comes down to: do we have a yard big enough to do it in?

By my understanding, our options for such a space in Binghamton are:

1) JP's house
2) Rent something

Judging by the budget for the last 3 'cons,' I think that option 2 + tent rental is outside of our budget. I leave it as an exercise for the Bingotown contingent to come up with an option 3.

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:25 am

Seeing as the tent rental was paid for by the admins and the cost not shared with the other attendees we might think about seeing what the rental would cost and passing that on to people attending. I would like to get JP and Idderbell's opinions before leaving their place open as an option, also. how about your backyard V? is there enough room for a tent or are there too many trees?

Renting a space won't be possible unless we charge for admitance.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:31 am

If anyone wants to help get rid of the apple tree our backyard would probably suppport a tent.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:20 am

I should know better than to post before adequate caffination.

I did not mean to pre-suppose JP/Idderbell's volunteer of their space. I meant to state that if they or another of the Bingotown contingent with a similarly suitable backyard do not donate their space, then we shouldn't even bother considering the tent option.

I have only seen 3 of the back yards of the people who live in Binghamton, but of the 3, only JP had enough space, even if the apple tree is removed (Which I will view with great sadness if it is performed)

Also, I remind V that Year 1 was in Brens living room, which was more than adequate for the 10ish people who showed up. Year 2 had the tent.

I agree that the tent was more awesome than the invasion of Casa Brennor, but without the space available... well...

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:06 am

If we had enough people committing and willing to pay for space we might be able to rent a place, but a tent would be more cost effective.

I didn't think you were volunteering JP's yard, but I will PM him and see if they will talk about it.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 pm

I have considered year one, the Site Party, we didn't start calling it BrenCon until JP's house.

When Connie and I priced places instead of the tent they were as cheap if not cheaper than a tent in some spots. Charging admission is always an option.

I'm not sure who put you in charge of this Joni, but lets not start heavy handing anything, the admins of this site haven't even spoken about this year's BrenCon yet among ourselves.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Just to head this off at the pass: Noone put Joni in charge of selecting a location for next year. She just wanted to start discussions on the next location, get people mulling over it. Dunno where there was any heavy handing anywhere yet, but I hope that there won't be.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:02 am

This thread sounds like a lot of "talking it over" and not so much "taking it over". Even if we stumble across a couple notions that don't go anyplace, at least we've considered things with adequate time (as opposed to finding out some option is really bad with 4 weeks to D-Day)

When you guys say 'rent space'... what kind of space is available out there?

Public campsites? (We do get a bit noisy though)

State Parks (all the ones near me close at dark, so that might be a hinderance... Nobody likes to be a daytime werewolf)?

Abandoned lot owned by a farmer? (BrenStock, anyone?)

Church Basement? (I promise not to get struck by lightning, but I am known to cuss a little.)

Firehouse?

Abandoned Warehouse that we might use for just a weekend?

I've got no land-ownership clout, but if anyone knows of spots like this that someone might take, say, a hundred bucks for a weekend rental as opposed to making no bucks for not renting it... Might not be a bad option..

I enjoyed both Brencon 1, and BrenCon 2 (I did not attend SiteParty/BrenCon Beta Test), and the locations were both great.