Brencrawl 2010

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Brencrawl 2010

Post by Bitom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:53 am

Here we go! With V and Jiggly running a WH40K event, Bren running the Raffle and Auction, and Trog and Tet Possibly not even coming, Brencrawl 2010 is left to my incompetent hands.

As previously mentioned, this year's Brencrawl will be much more chaotic than the previous two years. We're letting ANYONE be a DJ!

Here's how it's going to work:

Somewhere in the Brencon area, there will be a scoreboard, with everyone who is participating on it, and all of the rooms that are available. It will look something like this:
Player Rooms Total
Player Character Death by
chocolate
There's something
about hairy
OMG teh Beez! Insert original
room name here
Bitom Chucko the wonder Gangrel 45 32 50 25 127
Brennor Mongo the Barbarian 50 50 50 150
As you can see, Brennor is beating me, even though he's only played in 3 rooms. This is because only the top 3 rooms count. This way, someone who only plays 3 rooms still has a chance at winning.

Below, I'll post rules for making rooms and for making characters. But here are some of the features of this particular crawl:

You're not stuck to a particular team. You play when you want to play, and DJ's judge when they want to judge. Once a judge and 4 players get together, the crawl is on! You play as many rooms as you want and no more. If you think a room sucks, you just nogo and get on with another game!

Because of this, we're going to be ignoring the rules for mojo. It's assumed that you haven't been working together long enough to get a mojo bonus.

Similarly, my carefully crafted popularity/points system from last year will also be abandoned. I thought it was fun, but it'll just be too hard to coordinate with a half-dozen or more DJ's.
Last edited by Bitom on Wed May 04, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

So, you want to be a DJ

Post by Bitom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:58 am

Here's some things you'll need to know if you want to make a room:
  • Rooms should be designed to run for 4 players and take about an hour to finish. Playtesting is recommended to make sure that you don't pull a Brennor and make a room that lasts all day.
  • All rooms are worth range of 0-50 points. Earning 50 points must be possible in each room. Earning negative points (Leaving a room with less points than you began with) is not. Negative points will be recorded on the great scoreboard as 0 points.
  • All characters running a room together will leave the room with the same number of points (Prevents PvP situations and encourages teamwork within rooms, even thought you're competing individually for top crawler.)
  • Getting all 50 points in a room should be MUCH more difficult than it was in last year's crawl, Otherwise, we're going to have a 20-way tie for winner, at 150 points each. I encourage dirty tricks, hidden goals, and other forms of unfairness.
Questions? Post here or contact Bitom.
Last edited by Bitom on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

So, you want to be a Crawler

Post by Bitom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:05 am

Well then, you'll need to know how to make a character:
  • Characters will be 14th level, with 14th level gold, created with Vgen.
  • Official WotC suppliments and official Xcrawl books only, since we won't be having anyone to do character reviews and be "In charge" (My "In chargeness" only extends to organization.)
  • Everything except permanent expenditures refresh between rooms. (Hp, power points, spells, just like it's happening on a different day, but if you drink a potion, it's drunk.)
  • Death is not permanent. If you die, you receive 10 points less than your team for that room. Negative points are not possible, except as stated below.
  • If you Kill a teammate, you lose 10 points. This is not a PvP game... not within each room, anyway. This -10 points is not to your room total, it is to your total score. Don't be a bad sport.
Questions? Post here or contact Bitom.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: So, you want to be a Crawler

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 am

Got a few room designs at their roughest, but not sure which would be best. Any advice from former Brencrawl DJs on how to do it best?

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:21 am

My advice: Small is good. Funny is good. Anything that has an "Oh, crap" moment (like the redneck trees banjo playing or the Kool Aid Men breaking through the walls) is memorable.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:55 am

Definitely go smaller than you think you'll need. I made the mistake of thinking that the Gauntlet room was small enough. It wasn't.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 am

Yes, don't make the mistake thinking that 36+ monsters, plus paralyze traps, key hunting/chest opening, niegh-unbreakable monster spawn points, and a map the length of the table is 'small enough.

:)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:34 am

Ouch dude, ouch. :)

Seriously though, definitely too many, even though they were peons and some characters should have been able to take out multiples per round. Sadly, not even 1/4 of that room worked out to the right timetable.

Sure did hit the feel of the video game though.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:43 pm

It was a great room, and The Parlor City Scourge rocked it! Its that other team, whos name shall not be mentioned, that got eaten up by it.

PARLOR CITY SCOURGE ROCKS! All other teams suck monkey co...bananas! (Roar)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Heh... I think I need to find a roaring monkey smilie now! ;)