2012 Game Possibilities

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

2012 Game Possibilities

Post by pygmaelion » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:38 pm

In order to record (and not forget) what Bren, Joni, and I chatted about this weekend, I hereby commence this thread for the recording of games that may be fun to have at BrenCon 2012.

-Shadowrun TCG (card game, One on One, multiplayer possible)
I have a bunch of this, certainly enough to preconstruct some playable decks and give this dusty out-of-print game some play.

-Formula D (2 to 10 players, board game)
A racing game that can seat up to 10 players, but plays very well with fewer players and multiple cars. Built in handicapping for those who have played before (they can play the advanced rules whilst rookie drivers roll with the beginner rules).

-Small World (1 to 5 players,board game)
Bitom requested this be brought. An area control game wherein you push a fantasy race into new lands until they overextend, then start over with another fantasy race. A colorful way to mistreat hobbits and elves.

-Warhammer 40K Kill Team (Tactical Miniatures Game)
A few pre-assembled/prepainted forces for the Warhammer 40k miniatures game (not to be confused with the excellent RPG system from BC2011) duke it out on a 3x3 tabletop battlefield. A great way to say 'Yeah, I've played 40k" without sinking thousands of dollars into it.
* I've got Tyranids, and maybe Craftworld Eldar for this, Shurijo and JP are the other Known Minatures Havers whom I have not confirmed anything with.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: 2012 Game Possibilities

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:01 pm

What size armies are we looking at for the 3x3? I have one tac squad assembled, but I screwed up my first paint job on armor (color mix didn't turn out like I wanted), so I'm going to redo it sometime soon. Haven't had much time to work on it.

I should have at least 2 tac squads along with a couple spares (lone wolves, maybe or more grey hunters). If I finish my 2 squads, I'll probably buy a rune priest (psyker) and a rhino or two and then some long ranged (long fangs) - probably in that order.

I'll post a point/unit list, so others can pick and choose which units they want to use of my wolves ahead of time.

If anyone's interested in playing Space Wolves, just contact me ahead of time and I can let you know what I'm working on and what I should be bringing.

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:09 am

I'm working off the listing for Kill Team, and paraphrasing a bit.

The Kill Team mission is in the Battle Missions book (pg 90), and the force org looks like this:
200 points
0-1 Elite
0-2 Troops
0-1 Fast Attack

Deployment:
Split the table into 4 quarters and roll off. Highest roll chooses what quarter they will deploy in. They may deploy troops in that quarter, at least 9 inches from the center of the table.
The opponent then does likewise in the opposite corner (also at least 9 inches from the table center)

Once deployed, the player who deployed second rolls a die. On a result of '1', that player takes the first turn. On any other result, the player who deployed first takes the first turn.

Special Rule:
Every Man For Himself.
Each model operates as an individual unit, even if they were purchased as part of a squad. They may split their attacks when shooting or fighting in assault amongst eligible targets.

Battle continues until one side has been reduced to half its starting number of models. At that point the player reduced to half takes a leadership check (presumably on the best leadership of remaining models on the board?!). Failure indicates that the force routs and flees the battlefield. Success allows the battle to continue, but the player will make this test at the start of each of their turns with the same conditions.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:00 am

Haven't played 40K with the miniatures, but I'd definetly be interested. Sadly I don't have an army and it would probably a PITA to pack them in a suitcase anyway.

Hmm, perhaps I could try and bribe JP to whip up a squad for me...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:56 am

I will have to search out my sisters of battle mini's...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Hayabusa: The idea would be to have squads available for use. I'm pretty sure I can put together at least 2 forces. An army list and some primer rules, and a person could try out 3 different sample armies over the course of the weekend while still playing other things.

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Then again, who would say no to JP's expertly painted miniatures?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Any game that doesn't require pre-prep time should just be at BrenCon, board games, card games, etc. The things that require someone to do work to get them up to speed, like the 40K mini game, or a RPG (see my thread) are the important ones to talk about. That's my 2 copper coins.

Everyone loved the 40K mini stuff the last 2 BrenCons, I vote pyg keeps working on this and brings it with him this year so we can run it. Sounds like the fun we had last year with JP's mini game.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:51 am

What shall I run? Maybe a Robotech skirmish or a round of Hol???
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:51 am

Yea, for all that it was long, the 40k minis were a lot of fun.