Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Hunting Season

After 350 years of blizzards and crushing ice, there is a slight lull in winter's fury, as if Mulcarn is distracted by something. The Children of Kylorin the last great Archmage take up their swords and seek to bring about The Thaw and save mankind!

Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Chapter 1 - Cold Ambition: Hunting Season

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Seeing the remaining orc free himself, at least partly, from the webs, Saeldur decides to speed up the frostling's demise. With a wave of his hand and a few arcane syllables under his breath, he tosses another ball of fire at the lone orc. It may not hit the creature, he knows. But it will bring the flames closer.
Send fiery burst as close to the orc as I can manage. If I can take a step closer to the web and get it within range, I'll use my move for that. If not, I'll use the move after to head closer to the wolf lands.

(I think it matters whether the orc actually moved last time, and if so in what direction.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Saeldur can't leave the foe, so he conjure another burst of fire that errupts right in the face of the Frostling. Screaming as the fire engulfs him and lights the webs on fire, the orc is consumed in the blaze as the rest of the web catches and bursts into a flash fire. That should get the attention of the Frostling Den.
Saeldur Fiery Burst: Ref Save: 6 Failure 7 Dmg, Web Burns: 8, DEAD

It takes a roudn to break free, so he didn't move, only broke free of the worst of it.
The two have defeated their foes, lost a few arrows, but have escaped unharmed. They flee into the southern rocky terrain and escape the Frostling danger. Running for hours, the two dont' stop or look back, evntually they have to pause, but they are safe and tired. The sun is at its noon day peak as the two come to a short pause...

Nicely done. I'm going to let you both post and interact a bit, once you are ready you can just post continuing. I will Fade to Black and advanace your travel time until the next event.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Lehros wipes the sweat from his brow, a human trait. He isn't tired, he isn't strained. Keeping up with the wizard is not difficult, but the battle has startled him, made him weak, yet invigorated him like never before.

He has never hunted frostlings before, he had always kept away from them, it is not his way. But something about being with this strange wizard brings out confidence in Lehros. they didn't even get a shot off He never thought they could be finished so easily. He will never look at frostlings the same'¦

He looks to his companion; a little slower than Lehros, leaving heavy tracks, probably wouldn't last too terribly long alone against the frostlings... Yet amazingly powerful, clever, not a bad woodsman, and most importantly a friend.

The boy's mind races, it's been sometime since he has felt this way, so surreal. He looks to the wizard, Lehros's thoughts easily read. His hand dips to his pocket, <adhnel> 'œthank you' he says softly, his eyes scouting the horizon.
survival check, take 10 find supper, (perhapse saeldur can help?)also keep an eye out for signs of the wolf tribe.
edit: changed to match saeldurs desctiption better
Last edited by sempai on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Saeldur unwittingly sets the pace, since he moves slower than his ranger companion, especially when weighted down by the equipment needed to survive in the wintry wastes. The wizard is in good physical shape, and doesn't tire easily. But he's just not as strong as Lehros, and that makes the difference.

The elf is quiet during the first part of their flight, though he gets more talkative as they get farther and farther from the Frostling lands. Mostly he asks questions about their surroundings and how best they can throw off any pursuit. He seems to have a great deal of theoretical knowledge about the natural world outside of the elven enclaves, but very little practical experience. It's almost as if the various trees and plants and animals were described to him in great detail, but never actually shown to him.

Eventually, when Lehros indicates that they are far enough away from the Frostlings hills, the wizard drops his pack on the ground and settles onto a fallen tree to rest. "<Anhel>That was the hardest I've worked myself in over a decade," he jokes. "I thought I'd lived a fairly active life up until now. But I see that compared to what you put up with every day I've been longing about." He smiles and stretches his back to get a few of the kinks out.

Then Lehros whispers his thanks and the elf gets more serious. "<Anhel>It was my pleasure," he replies in a tone that says this is more than just a pleasantry. "Kylorin has been a fine teacher to me, and a good friend. I'm glad to have an opportunity to help his son in a time of need. And lest you think it all goes one way, even in the short time we've been traveling together, you've shown me a lot about the world outside my home. Sometimes my people forget who it is we're working to protect. It's nice to be reminded once in a while."
FWIW, although he's definitely not a woodsman, Saeldur does have Survival +8 in arctic terrains, and Knowledge: Nature +10. So he knows enough to find food and shelter. ;-) The way I'm playing it is that he has a lot of book knowledge about nature and survival.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Lehros nods, taking in Saeldurs words, <adhnel> "I too have learned"
<common> "lets find us some dinner"
edited above post to more accurately depict Saeldur
So travel to the end of the day, do some hunting, and camp. He will use his survival skills to

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:24 pm

"Yes," Saeldur agrees. It's been a long day already and I could use something to eat. Tell you what? I'll set up camp while you hunt. I'll also take a look for some edible plants and fetch some water." He moves to rummage in his pack. "Have you a tent or the like? I'm afraid my shelter is big enough only for one. And I won't be able to create an igloo until tomorrow."
Saeldur will try and Aid Another for Lehros by fetching water and looking for edible plants.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:52 pm

The pair stop to eat something, but the travel into the Wolf hunting grounds is still many days travel away and the Frostlings are only half a day behind them. Stopping for an extended noonday meal is foolish and they both know it. Yet the two stop for a while, but eventually they begin again and travel into the evening.

Several days go past, the two travel together getting to know one another's skills and talents. The days are cold, but the nights are even colder. Without an igloo to sleep in Saeldur soon learns the true power of the Winter God Mulcarn as he sleeps cold once his arcane spells wear off. Yet the ability to endure the elements is key, and each day he protects himself and Lehros from the worst of winter. The hills are scouted by Lehros and the safest and quickest routes are picked, and the two Anhel leave little impact on the world around them as they travel. Three days, just like Lehros suggested and the pair, by dusk, come to find a large taiga plain stretching out before them. Hundreds of elk roam across the plains.

You two stand on the edge of hills behind you to the north, and plains to the south. The elk graze on the short scrub grasses of the sheltered plains here, hundreds, possibly thousands of elk migrating through this area. Far to the south, in the dim dusky light of evening, Saeldur's keen Sylvanhel eyes pick out tiny specs of firelight, campfires, campfires of the Wolf.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:37 pm

"There," Saeldur says and points. "campfires. That must be the Wolf tribe." He breathes a sigh, clearly relieved to have arrived safely. "Do you think we're better off approaching now or in the morning?"
This is the standard list for his travels with Lehros.

Cantrips
Acid Splash (C)
Detect Magic
Light

First Level
Mage Armor (C)
Alarm
Endure Elements (x2)
Shield

Second Level
Glitterdust (C)
Scorching Ray
Summon Monster II (C)
Tiny Igloo

Endure Elements cast on Saeldur and Lehros each day.
Tiny Hut and Alarm cast each night.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 am

<common> "they are definatly human, the frostlings tend to camp at day time, Humans generally dont care for me, but safety in numbers"

Lehros looks ahead scanning for any signs that they are truly the wolf.

"we can sneek up and take a look" his hand darting into his pocket.
carfully advance and spot check

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:33 am

"Be careful," Saeldur advises. "If they are the Wolf tribe, we don't want to provoke them."